Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Timing way off the marks

Views : 6161

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 1st, 2011, 04:27   #1
mathrock

Default Timing way off the marks

Hello,

I recently bought a 1966 Volvo Amazon Coupe that was not in running condition. After rebuilding the distributor and SU HS6 carbs I was able to get it running and now I've been trying to get the ignition timed correctly.

I have followed the "Volvo Ignition from Scratch" [1] article which was great help. Turned the engine to about 16 degrees BTDC, verified that the first two valves were up, readjusted the distributor pinion and turned engine to drop it into place, then realigned to 16 degress BTDC.

I can then start the car and it will stay running and seems to idle and revs well. I then hooked up a timing light and it is WAAAY off from where the idle should be. The timing appears to be at about 30 ATDC (if it were to be marked). If I try to turn the distributor clockwise to move closer to 16 BTDC the engine slows way down and will eventually die if I turn it too far. The farthest I can go is about 10 ATDC and have the engine still run, but it's very rough at that point.

I don't know too much of the car's history. Is it possible that someone installed the engine pulley at the wrong rotation or something that would make it impossible to line up the timing correctly? This is my first time working on ANY car before so it's highly likely that I've overlooked something.

Link:
[1] - http://www.sw-em.com/Volvo%20Ignitio...%20Scratch.htm

Thanks,

Nate
mathrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 08:48   #2
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Where is the rotor pointing in relation to number 1 spark plug lead when at 16degrees dtdc on number 1 cyclinder? Also did you have the timing light connected to number 1 lead?
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 11:12   #3
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Nate;

If you followed my article and static timed the ignition, by definition, you should be able to hook up the timing light and verify it as correctly set...and it shouldn't need major adjustment...I find that using that process, I'm typically within a dregree of 16, so I don't even bother checking it anymore after static timing...unless, as other poster suggests, timing light is not hooked up correctly (triggered by No1)...anyone else have any Ideas?...I'm at a loss...

Cheers from Connecticut!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 11:31   #4
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Leads on incorrectly?
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 14:12   #5
mathrock

All,

The rotor is pointing directly at the No 1 spark lead, the order is 1-3-4-2 (counter-clockwise), and the timing light is connected to the No 1 spark lead. I've also used two different timing lights with the same results.

I don't think it would be possible for the timing to actually be set at 30 ATDC, so I have no idea what's going on. The timing mark on the timing gear cover is the long triangular raised bit on the cover, correct?

I might try to take some pictures or a video. I believe that after following the ignition from scratch guide that it is in the correct ballpark for being timed. However, since I'm new to all this I was looking for verification that it was correct by using the timing light.

Thanks,

Nate
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 14:50   #6
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

I'm probably stating the obvious here, but are you using a timing light with an adjustable advance feature?

If you are, you need to set it to about 10 degs at idle (depending on the correct setting for your engine) and point it at the TDC mark on your crank pulley. Or you can set it at 32 degs and point it at the TDC mark at above 2,750 RPM

That, or set the timing light to 0 and point it at the 10 deg mark on your crank pulley

These types of timing lights are really good for measuring advance at different engine speeds, but a bit confusing if you've never used one before

NB: The figures I've stated above are approximate values just for the sake of getting the engine up and running
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 15:07   #7
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

This may be a long shot but is the pulley on the correct way round? Is it worth taking off the pulley, setting the notch in the crank to TDC (vertical at 0 degrees) and then put the pulley back on and check the 0 degree line is aligned with the crank case mark.

Note: I’m pretty sure the notch in the crank will be at the top when the No 1 is a TDC but other guys on here maybe able to confirm that this is correct.
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 16:30   #8
Bristol603

I checked the timing on my newly acquired 122S at the weekend and got very similar results, i.e. the car runs very well, but the timing appeared well off (about 10 degrees after TDC at idle!). I just left it as the car is running well and so that I could try to work out what was going on. It hadn't occurred to me that the crank pully could be on the wrong way round. The timing marks I was looking at are closest to the timing cover - should they be on the other side closest to the radiator?
Bristol603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 16:38   #9
mathrock

I think the pulley is on the correct way. Looking at the pulley and going clockwise the pulley has 10ATDC, 0, then 10 BTDC, 20 BTDC, 30 BTDC marks, with the marks on the cover-side of the pulley. So with the pulley rotating in the direction of travel of the engine, the order is 30BTDC, 20BTDC, 10BTDC, 0, 10ATDC.
Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 02:09   #10
mathrock

I took some pictures and a brief video of the timing marks, distributor install, rotor, and spark leads. I put two chalk marks on the pulley: one at 20 BTDC and one at 10BTDC.

Timing marks at 16 BTDC - http://flic.kr/p/aitddh
Distributor pinion - http://flic.kr/p/aitdg1
Distributor and rotor installed - http://flic.kr/p/aiqq7P
Spark leads - http://flic.kr/p/aiqq7K
Video of checking timing with light - http://flic.kr/p/aiqqak

Note: In the video you can just barely make out the two chalk marks way at the bottom of the pulley about 90 degrees off from where they should be.

Tags
ignition, mark, pulley, timing