Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stunning 240 estate

Views : 11314

Replies : 149

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 29th, 2021, 11:16   #51
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post
Theres a saloon 240 currently advertised on this very forum that looks cleanish, unmessed with, has an apparently honest description (admits welding is required), and is only £2k asking price.

That being the case why would anyone pay nearly double for a wagon with all the various questions about its spec, identity and provenance? After all, if we believe what we read it was recently sold for 9 grand so what is wrong with it that it is so soon being hawked about with a change of identity at different, lower prices?
I saw that motor car advertised Familyman, it looks quite nice but it doesn't have a MoT (and from its MoT history it will need a bit of work to get a new one). Saying that, Rikvdib's motor car only has 3 weeks worth of MoT remaining.

The 240 advertised on these pages would need trailering away, which would be an added expense, but would probably be made quite a good car with a bit of effort, and £2,000 is probably a fair price.

I don't think anyone here seriously believes Rikvdub's motor car sold for £9,000 in August. I doubt that anyone thinks it is wort £5,500 or £4,850 either. £3,000 is probably close to its real value.

Best wishes,

Alan
Old Dec 29th, 2021, 11:58   #52
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I don't think anyone here seriously believes Rikvdub's motor car sold for £9,000 in August. I doubt that anyone thinks it is wort £5,500 or £4,850 either. £3,000 is probably close to its real value.

Best wishes,

Alan
Given how faded the red paintwork is in places, it potentially wants a respray. It's a fugitive colour and it looks like someone has used T-Cut or similar and polished the majority of it but there are patches where it hasn't been done and these are a watery pink colour. If it's such a good car, i'm sure he could put another MoT on it at little or no cost (except the test) and enhance the prospects of a sale.
That's not withstanding the other problems we already know it has!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 29th, 2021, 21:42   #53
SwedishScotsman

Quote:
Theres a saloon 240 currently advertised on this very forum that looks cleanish, unmessed with, has an apparently honest description (admits welding is required), and is only £2k asking price.

That being the case why would anyone pay nearly double for a wagon with all the various questions about its spec, identity and provenance? After all, if we believe what we read it was recently sold for 9 grand so what is wrong with it that it is so soon being hawked about with a change of identity at different, lower prices?
Agree entirely with this comment.

Incidentally, I can vouch for the car being advertised by S7tephen having just driven it circa 90 miles with borrowed red plates to Glasgow from Edinburgh and back to Edinburgh after he asked me to give him an opinion on it. It sat very comfortably on the motorway at 65-70mph and starts first time. I even had to rev the engine to check it was running at idle!

The Bodywork is in my opinion very very good so it’s definitely worth saving. I couldn’t spot any dents or scratches albeit the car was wet. All the chrome trims are there and everything works so far as I can tell including the electric Windows and wipers/ de mister. It has central locking which works and locks all the doors etc from the drivers side which I’ve never seen working on any of my 2x 240s

On the motorway the steering pulls to the left a little which I put down to a steering tie Rod as there is play in it when it was jacked up. There’s a large hole at the NSF sill (visible when you open the door only) but it looks easily accessible to weld a plate or replace a section in place and I also spotted a small hole at rear of NS sill and a slightly bigger one on OS Rear sill.
Exhaust back box and middle section look newish, however there’s sign of a slight engine oil leak but nothing serious and oil was full. Engine bay very clean with strut tops all good and no previous welding visible.
It will definitely need a NSF tyre which I suspect is worn due to the tie Rod however I noticed the spare was brand new. OSF tyre ok but not great. Rears good.
The blue velour interior is in lovely condition with heated seats and only one small blemish the size of a 5p I could spot on drivers seat that would stitch with some blue thread.
Brakes work well and gear changes nice and smooth. Temp gauge sat happily in the middle as you’d expect.

All in all I think it’s a very honest low mileage low owner car that’s definitely worth considering. If faded pink ones with dubious mot history and big miles are realistically (!!!) demanding 3500 ish then I think this is worth more than the £2k asking price.

Bodywork sells it for me all day long and if only I knew how to weld then I’d absolutely snap it up myself but I do fear the other half would end me!

I’m currently running the Grey GLT with the front hella lights (that was previously on a thread here) albeit I bought it on eBay which has over 200k on the clock and the bodywork is nowhere near as nice, with it needing a full respray near enough. It also needs welding and I suspect the last mot tester might have missed a few spots! 2 doors are rotten but I have 2 excellent ones from my other breaker GLT and will get round to fitting / painting someday

Back to S7tephens car well worst case scenario the £2k price will be easily achieved in parts but I think there are plenty cars with dodgy MOTs on the road in far worse condition to be fair.

Last edited by SwedishScotsman; Dec 29th, 2021 at 22:23.
SwedishScotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SwedishScotsman For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 30th, 2021, 03:19   #54
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikvdub View Post
I tell you what DAVE! Come hear and I’ll show you anger management! If you read the advert everything has been done! You f••king pathetic C•NT. I’m gonnnamake sure I attend all meetings hoping to run into you.
Old Dec 30th, 2021, 06:00   #55
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishScotsman View Post
Agree entirely with this comment.

Incidentally, I can vouch for the car being advertised by S7tephen having just driven it circa 90 miles with borrowed red plates to Glasgow from Edinburgh and back to Edinburgh after he asked me to give him an opinion on it...

... Back to S7tephens car well worst case scenario the £2k price will be easily achieved in parts but I think there are plenty cars with dodgy MOTs on the road in far worse condition to be fair.
Thank you for that, first hand experience is always the best and I hope that will help readers.

I'd noticed S7tephens' motor car for sale myself but was put off by the lack of a MoT and consequent cost of having to trailer it 324 miles home (also I have another project in the winds - more of that later if it comes to fruition).

I thought 2 grand sounded like a fair price for the motor car. I suppose the sills could be patched and the steering/suspension/tyres sorted out well enough for the MoT for £500 - but that wouldn't be the right thing to do for this motor car. I hope someone saves it, but otherwise it is positive that the owner intends to part it out - at the very least we will see 2 grand worth of spares keeping many 240s running so the community wins either way.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Dec 30th, 2021 at 07:42.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 30th, 2021, 09:14   #56
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I don't think anyone here seriously believes Rikvdub's motor car sold for £9,000 in August.
No, I don't suppose they do. I certainly don't.

But that itself raises further questions over the integrity of a seller. I would walk away from a car where I'd discovered a seller had been telling fibs. What else might they have been untruthful about?
Old Dec 30th, 2021, 09:39   #57
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

But that itself raises further questions over the integrity of a seller. I would walk away from a car where I'd discovered a seller had been telling fibs. What else might they have been untruthful about?
I think we all agree about both the motor car and Rikvdub :-).

I'd be a staggered if the motor car sells at £5,500, amazed at £4,850 and more than a bit surprised if it gets an opening bid at £3,500. The reason is there are better cars for sale at less than all of those prices, here is an example:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265457074...4AAOSwjB5hvIw0

... the motor car sounds genuine, but more than that the seller comes across as a sincere chap that has described the car well... and for £2,650.

Rikvdub's Volvo 240 could be on the market for some time before it finds its level.

Alan
Old Dec 30th, 2021, 09:46   #58
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:

When I buy, I buy the seller as much as the article.

You make a valid point!
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 30th, 2021, 09:59   #59
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Go on to cars and classics. Volvo 960s in presentable condition are £8,000 to £11,000. Then people with a 240 or 740 that’s not had a test for 8 years suddenly go on at 10k 🤪.

It must be so hard to look at the thing in your garden, tell the wife it’s now worth £10k and then accept that you will struggle to get more than £1,500.

When I see the distorted market place I feel sorry for the sellers who spend money on adverts etc with no realistic prospect of ever selling.

Also those beautiful 960s with 90k on the clock and 5 owners have all been on since March 20.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 30th, 2021, 10:09   #60
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
Go on to cars and classics. Volvo 960s in presentable condition are £8,000 to £11,000. Then people with a 240 or 740 that’s not had a test for 8 years suddenly go on at 10k 🤪.

It must be so hard to look at the thing in your garden, tell the wife it’s now worth £10k and then accept that you will struggle to get more than £1,500.

When I see the distorted market place I feel sorry for the sellers who spend money on adverts etc with no realistic prospect of ever selling.

Also those beautiful 960s with 90k on the clock and 5 owners have all been on since March 20.
Here in the 200 section we quite often discuss prices and what the market is doing. The conclusion we return to frequently is that many sellers think their motor cars are worth much more than they really are, and consequently many either keep reducing their asking prices or their motor cars remain on the market for years (literally, years).

I'm not sure the market is particularly distorted - it is what it is. Us old codgers in the 200 section quite enjoy observing what is going on - and sometimes even dabble in a little schadenfreude (as in 'we told you so').

:-)