Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Power Steering rack volvo s60 D5

Views : 1004

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 29th, 2022, 01:15   #1
BathFS60

Default Power Steering rack volvo s60 D5

Hi all

I have a 2005 volvo S60 D5 and I'm trying to find out what steering rack was used in these as there are at least 5 different variants used. Is there any way of finding this out before removing old one? Volvo just want to sell me one of there's at over £1000! But won't say what part number or variant it is. Many thanks.
BathFS60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2022, 22:40   #2
okasey

Default Volvo steering rack

Hi , I have a 2003 V70 D5 with mileage of 235,00 , and not surprisingly my local general garage has gone through all the possible options of random stiff steering that I've been having over the last few months , to a faulty steering rack . Apparently there are 7 variations , according to my local Volvo Main Dealer garage , and they've told me that the one I need has been discontinued.!
They did however give me the part no. of the steering rack , based on my Volvo Reg. No., so that I could try and locate one . The cost , when available , was about £1100.
So perhaps you could try ringing a few Volvo Main Dealers to ask them for your actual Steering Rack part no., and then try and locate one.
On searching through E-Bay I did find a supplier , who would recondition your own steering rack -- so there'd be no problem locating a correct one !
Looking at YouTube , it seems fairly horrendous to replace -- and essential to have the use of a car lift, as on the V70 the engine has to be supported and the subframe loosened and partially lowered.

Hope this helps ! ?

Regards , Gerry
okasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2022, 19:15   #3
ALBERT10

Quote:
Originally Posted by okasey View Post
Hi , I have a 2003 V70 D5 with mileage of 235,00 , and not surprisingly my local general garage has gone through all the possible options of random stiff steering that I've been having over the last few months , to a faulty steering rack . Apparently there are 7 variations , according to my local Volvo Main Dealer garage , and they've told me that the one I need has been discontinued.!
They did however give me the part no. of the steering rack , based on my Volvo Reg. No., so that I could try and locate one . The cost , when available , was about £1100.
So perhaps you could try ringing a few Volvo Main Dealers to ask them for your actual Steering Rack part no., and then try and locate one.
On searching through E-Bay I did find a supplier , who would recondition your own steering rack -- so there'd be no problem locating a correct one !
Looking at YouTube , it seems fairly horrendous to replace -- and essential to have the use of a car lift, as on the V70 the engine has to be supported and the subframe loosened and partially lowered.

Hope this helps ! ?

Regards , Gerry
What’s the Labour time and price likely to be on top of the expensive part? Presumably this 1100 figure is just for the part?
ALBERT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2022, 22:46   #4
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BathFS60 View Post
Hi all

I have a 2005 volvo S60 D5 and I'm trying to find out what steering rack was used in these as there are at least 5 different variants used. Is there any way of finding this out before removing old one? Volvo just want to sell me one of there's at over £1000! But won't say what part number or variant it is. Many thanks.
Remove the old one. Send it off for refurb. with a 24-hour turn-round Save many many hundreds. The end.
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2022, 06:00   #5
ALBERT10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
Remove the old one. Send it off for refurb. with a 24-hour turn-round Save many many hundreds. The end.
Would that mean the car would be occupying a ramp at a garage while it was sent away, or is there a way around that? A garage wouldn’t be keen on having a ramp blocked while waiting for the return.
Old May 25th, 2022, 08:45   #6
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBERT10 View Post
Would that mean the car would be occupying a ramp at a garage while it was sent away, or is there a way around that? A garage wouldn’t be keen on having a ramp blocked while waiting for the return.
Yes it would. Mine turned out to be occupying a ramp for 4 or 5 days whilst we tried 3 racks. I know what we (garage cocked it too!) should have done!
Old May 25th, 2022, 13:53   #7
ALBERT10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BathFS60 View Post
Hi all

What was wrong with the rack? Was it a mot fail on it that prompted replacement? What mileage did this happen?
Old May 25th, 2022, 13:58   #8
ALBERT10

Quote:
Yes it would. Mine turned out to be occupying a ramp for 4 or 5 days whilst we tried 3 racks. I know what we (garage cocked it too!) should have done!

So did the garage charge more for the extra time taken? I can imagine many garages not wanting to take on the job to send it off as wouldn’t want ramp taken up for so long.

I read somewhere some garage charging customers per hour for blocking ramp when they have supplied own parts which ended up being the wrong ones.
Old May 25th, 2022, 16:35   #9
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBERT10 View Post
So did the garage charge more for the extra time taken? I can imagine many garages not wanting to take on the job to send it off as wouldn’t want ramp taken up for so long.

I read somewhere some garage charging customers per hour for blocking ramp when they have supplied own parts which ended up being the wrong ones.
No.

Mine didn't fit (it had been misdescribed).

I said sorry but reason.

They said they would order.

Theirs was wrong.

They re-ordered, now understanding that S60 2005 racks weren't so simple...

So check with your garage, I suggest.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2022, 17:01   #10
ALBERT10

Quote:
No.

Mine didn't fit (it had been misdescribed).

I said sorry but reason.

They said they would order.

Theirs was wrong.

They re-ordered, now understanding that S60 2005 racks weren't so simple...

So check with your garage, I suggest.
What was wrong with your steering rack and what mileage did this occur?

Tags
s60 d5 2005, steering rack part number