Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

No heat in electric mode

Views : 2429

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 18th, 2023, 18:25   #1
Mty2608

Question No heat in electric mode

Hi all looking some assistance.

My MY23 S60 TS Recharge, when driving on battery , there is no heat coming from heater even if on Hi heat, the heat only kicks in if the engine starts. Had a look through settings but cant see anything obvious, no heat in either AC on or off. Earliest Volvo dealer can see me is16th October in Glasgow.

also tried this as per manual, but no option to activate;

Activating and deactivating automatic start of auxiliary heater
Updated 01/09/2023
The auxiliary heater helps to heat the passenger compartment and engine while driving.
It is possible to set whether automatic start for the additional heater should be activated/deactivated.

Open the climate view in the centre display by tapping on the temperature button at the bottom centre of the centre display.
Press iCup-2037-Icon three dots horizontal
Activate/deactivate automatic start of Heater.

Note
If the auxiliary heater's automatic starting is deactivated, this may impede comfort in the passenger compartment as the climate control system will then have no heat source during electrical operation.

Any advice, thanks:

Last edited by Mty2608; Sep 18th, 2023 at 18:40. Reason: additional info
Mty2608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2023, 21:50   #2
sandys
XC60 T8 Ultimate Dark

if the aux heater is on and there is no heat then the high voltage coolant heater has likely failed, this has happened on mine and is being fixed Weds, took a couple of weeks for part to arrive, suggest to the dealer they need to just confirm this ASAP so they can get the part in to effect a repair or you'll be looking at a fix in December, this took my dealer 5-10mins to diagnose and they sent me on my way whilst they wait for part, it is common fault so shouldn't have too much problem doing that.

If you are cold you'll have to go old skool and run the petrol for now to generate heat or use seat heaters

Last edited by sandys; Sep 18th, 2023 at 21:57.
sandys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2023, 06:57   #3
Mty2608

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandys View Post
if the aux heater is on and there is no heat then the high voltage coolant heater has likely failed, this has happened on mine and is being fixed Weds, took a couple of weeks for part to arrive, suggest to the dealer they need to just confirm this ASAP so they can get the part in to effect a repair or you'll be looking at a fix in December, this took my dealer 5-10mins to diagnose and they sent me on my way whilst they wait for part, it is common fault so shouldn't have too much problem doing that.

If you are cold you'll have to go old skool and run the petrol for now to generate heat or use seat heaters
Thanks Sandy

Will get on to them today
Old Sep 19th, 2023, 19:27   #4
Mty2608

Bit of a farce, couldn't get into Glasgow dealer until 16th Oct. Complained to Volvo What's App, they said call Volvo Assistance, they came out , said there is a software fault showing up when they plugged into car, said it needs to go to dealer, told them what dealer said about earliest appointment, they rang Customer service, got me in Friday for a diagnostic check.
Old Sep 19th, 2023, 21:52   #5
sandys
XC60 T8 Ultimate Dark

At least you got it in sooner.

Forgot to ask have you tried rebooting the OS just in case it is a software glitch as I note you mention there is no button to activate when there probably should be?

For this you hold the button down beneath the screen until the software reboots, takes about 20-30s
Old Sep 21st, 2023, 12:34   #6
sk546
Master Member

As Sandys mentioned, its likely a failed HV Coolant Heater, a common issue when the AAOS cars came out with the swap from a fuel fired heater to the current electric heater.
Volvo have changed the manufacturer of the HV coolant heater and implemented quite a few software updates to try and prevent these failures but it would appear its either still occuring or some of the software updates are having a negative effect on the system preventing the unit from operating correctly (as detailed by Volvo Assistance engineers).
Unfortunately, the only way to sort it is with a dealer visit and if its the HV Coolant Heater rather than just a software fix, be prepared for a wait for the new part as I believe Volvo were on quite a wait list for replacement ones but that may have since been sorted.

As Sandys also mentioned, either use your heated seats or run the ICE for a it during your journey to get some heat, not ideal but will keep you warm as the weather gets colder.
Good luck.

Previous - MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered - Onyx Black - Sensus
sk546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2023, 18:16   #7
Mty2608

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk546 View Post
As Sandys mentioned, its likely a failed HV Coolant Heater, a common issue when the AAOS cars came out with the swap from a fuel fired heater to the current electric heater.
Volvo have changed the manufacturer of the HV coolant heater and implemented quite a few software updates to try and prevent these failures but it would appear its either still occuring or some of the software updates are having a negative effect on the system preventing the unit from operating correctly (as detailed by Volvo Assistance engineers).
Unfortunately, the only way to sort it is with a dealer visit and if its the HV Coolant Heater rather than just a software fix, be prepared for a wait for the new part as I believe Volvo were on quite a wait list for replacement ones but that may have since been sorted.

As Sandys also mentioned, either use your heated seats or run the ICE for a it during your journey to get some heat, not ideal but will keep you warm as the weather gets colder.
Good luck.
Thanks to you and sandy for your insight/info, just back from dealer, they just decided to order new part, like you said there is a back log so need to wait on parts coming in. lets hope we get another heat wave.
Old Sep 22nd, 2023, 19:12   #8
sandys
XC60 T8 Ultimate Dark

Noticed mine failed around the time the update was released to mitigate failures

Course we had a heat wave so never noticed until could have been out quite a while

Just got it done today not weds, I had the day wrong lovely and toasty now.

Had a petrol MHEV S60 as a loaner, when you are used to PHEV life those things are so un economical, struggled to do 24mpg on my normal cross city drive and I drive like a saint, stop/start city traffic is not its forte!
Old Dec 28th, 2023, 19:49   #9
PHB1954

Default No heat in electric mode

I had the same problem in December last year on my XC90 Recharge, the unit was replaced under warranty but I did have to wait quite a few weeks for the new unit. I changed to an XC60 Recharge this summer and now have an identical issue on the XC60. There seems to be an increasing number of owners experiencing this problem so may Volvo should be considering a recall?
PHB1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2024, 17:30   #10
X90 Thunder

Default Parking Heater Needs Replacing

Hi there,

New member here, but with an age old problem, it seems.

My 2020 XC90 Hybrid is giving me no hot air in electric mode and the local Volvo dealership says the parking heater needs replacing.

Problem is, the 3rd party warranty company are refusing to accept the word of the Volvo service team, either written or spoken. According to Volvo, there are no error codes or similar to evidence this issue. So I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place with a £2,250 repair at stake.

Can anyone offer some advice here, please?

Thanks so much
X90 Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote