Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240,gl oil blow back from filler cap

Views : 1719

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 16:15   #1
alain6qd

Default 240,gl oil blow back from filler cap

had this problem a year ago, advice was spot on, ie change flame trap, drill out slightly the nipple in intake and flush well the engine, but problem is back.
i have noted the advice to take out the flame trap from the y piece, as it is not really necessary, but. "what about the oil trap," plastic box it all connects to. can't get to it or get it off to see if there is a blockage, any suggestions please as this is a great car with a small but v messy problem.

* box seems to actually be a BREATHER BOX bolted to engine, can this get blocked?
Old Oct 29th, 2002, 01:32   #2
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default RE: 240,gl oil blow back from filler cap

Yes it can get blocked and is well worth a clean. . Unfortunately I have no idea how to remove it from a 240.

Just a small point, if your 240 has no turbo then you should replace the flame trap element in the "Y" piece. Only turbo-equipped cars do not have the funny little gauze bit.

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2002, 07:34   #3
alain6qd

hello peter,

thanks for a quick response,

already changed the flame trap. gone through all the pipe work, it's this little box that seems blocked, will try today without the trap in the y piece. and see,

thanks. alain
Old Oct 29th, 2002, 23:18   #4
sheerwater
Master Member

Hi, One thing woth checking if all hoses etc on the flame trap are clear. You obviously have a ''worn'' engine. I dont mean worn out only some engines get gummed around the rings if cheaper oil has been used sometime in its life. Might be worth trying the old redex treatment of pouring a little into each cylinder and leaving overnight to ungum the rings. When you do restart it do it at night as your neighbours will complain at the smoke. !!! Cheers Nigel PS its not just a case of a poor seal on the cap is it?
sheerwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2002, 07:21   #5
alain6qd

hi nigel,

got a new breather box, need to unbolt and lift the injector set up aside, which i can do with out too much trouble to get to the bolts, i'll try this and see what happens. as for the seal i cahnged that first,not that. all seems to work well with out the flame trap. if i blow back through b/box with cap off there is no flow, so hope fully that is problem. will keep all updated as it seems a commen problem from what i hear.

thanks, alain
Old Oct 30th, 2002, 13:03   #6
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I have a 240 with injection, and I got the black box off without having to disturb the rail. It bolts on (one bolt, I think) and then is a tight press fit in the block. It can be done, but is very awkward. make a note of where all the hoses go first.
But it is well worth doing. Mine was blocked solid, and that on an engine that had been flushed, redexed, oil-changed etc from new.
Soak it in parafin, poke in skewers etc. The gung inside can harden into something that looks remarkably like black plastic.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 16:20   #7
alain6qd

success, many thanks to all who have replied, eventually had to take off complete injector unit as breather box well and truely stuck fast, but only an hour and a half.
hopefully many more trouble free years with this,

cheers. alain