Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Strip or bin?

Views : 4283

Replies : 58

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 16:44   #1
MissDMeanor
Corruption rules

Default Strip or bin?

Hello again

I seem to have blown my engine up

The damage is definitely in the head so I have a quandary....do I strip the engine and replace whatever is making her sound like she ought to be ploughing a field or do I bin her and find another T5R engine?

Also, does anybody have any idea or what sort of price I could pick up a T5R with lowish mileage (up to 100k) engine for?

Many thanks

From a very poorly banana
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 17:01   #2
JD.7
VOC Member

sorry to hear of your bad luck , i see bobcat looking on here and i bet he has enough bits in his shed or garage to fix it lol.

salvo group may be able to help you.

JD
JD.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 17:25   #3
dooby
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDMeanor View Post
I seem to have blown my engine up
Very sorry to hear that.

Quote:
do I strip the engine and replace whatever is making her sound like she ought to be ploughing a field or do I bin her and find another T5R engine?
Having seen your pictures of a stripped down gearbox I recommend the stripping down investigation. You'd have to pull the engine anyway for a replacement, so might as well investigate first, right?

Quote:
Also, does anybody have any idea or what sort of price I could pick up a T5R with lowish mileage (up to 100k) engine for?
I just picked up a T5 engine with some ancilliaries and 58k for £250 which I was very pleased with.

Good luck whichever route you take, and we'd love photos :-)

Cheers, Pete
Porsche/S60R BBK + XP8s, TD04HL-19T, 17"x8J Pegasus, THS intercooler, custom intake & RIP, Samco coolant, Koni/Nivo H&R, S60R manifold, TT-USB, Simota, IPD turbo back, IPD anti-roll bars & droplinks, IPD HT, MSD coil, Innovate LC-1, dimming mirror, Goodridge hoses, DOT5.1, V70 rear lights & handles, poly top bush & A arms & tie bar, strut brace, clear repeaters, 6k HID, catch tank, 2x rear brace

dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 18:15   #4
PNuT
MaDMaN

i hink you need to make it a little more clear as to whats actually wrong with your engine? if its a tapping sound? it may be bent rods......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doA9jPdH5qc
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 22:56   #5
TheG
growl, woosh!

hello! Nice to see you back, even though I never said Hi before! lol

There are plenty of things that can make an engine sound bad but can be reasonably cheap to fix especially when compared to getting a new engine. I'd investigate what is causing it to be bad first. You know where to go for the help
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 03:09   #6
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

There's not a lot to be lost in taking it apart, as long as you make a careful note of where all the fastenings came from. However, it doesn't mean that it'll tell you anything meaningful...some faults can be near-invisible to the naked eye.

Thing to 'look' for include obvious damage to the pistons and/or combustion chamber - indicative of heavy detonation or it having eaten a foreign object. Also turn the bottom end over once the head is off, and look to see if the 'deck height' (i.e. how far up the bores the pistons come) is even. If one pot or two don't rise as far, that's a sure sign of a bent rod.

The 850 T5s and T5-Rs did have the "weak" engine (specifically regarding con-rods), so yours is one of the more likely candidates for trouble. Let's hope it's something trivial instead!

cheers

James
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 23:29   #7
szhT5R

Unhappy bad luck

I belive the engine was running ok b4 the gearbox went yes. One thing gets me here i saw yr thread on the gearbox noticed u removed all the air intake gubbins do u think that something could of falling in the throttle body or else way in the pipework at some stage of it been out 3 times because i know one thing i would be pi**ed off after just doing the gearbox
szhT5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 00:22   #8
MissDMeanor
Corruption rules

Thanks for your replies guys I'm having a very bad run of luck for the last 9 months - I'm going to take your advice and strip this engine down. Apart from anything else, I know this engine has little wear even if it's done 170k - buying another engine imo carries a risk factor.

Ok, it may help if I explain what happened. I'm not really interested in what's wrong with the engine as I'll find out for sure very soon.

As you may already know, I'd just finally got her back on the road after 3 months off-road and one month driving gingerly.

Drove to the local garage and put £10 higher octane 97 ron in. On the way back I went to overtake a slow-coach and as she was boosting (about 3/4 in the white on the gauge) I had a series of small misfires (my foot wasn't flat to the floor but I was giving her some beans).

I panicked then 'cos I know how dangerous misfire on boost can be for these engines so backed off and drove back without opening her up again. She only misfired when overtaking and after that appeared to be fine - no performance loss at all.

It was only when I pulled up at the garage to let them know the good news that the gearbox was fine that I heard the dreaded metallic banging (I had the music turned up loud). Strewth, is it loud!

I'd heard that a bent rod gives a light tapping sound and Mouthy sounds more like hammering . But then I watched PNut's video, thanks PNut, which is very similar to Mouthy although I'd swear Mouthy is louder

What concerns and has me perplexed is why was she misfiring? I'm pretty sure the damage was caused by the misfire but what caused the misfire? Not having the cobwebs blown off for 4 months shouldn't cause damage and my instinct tells me that it's nothing to do with taking the gearbox out (3 bloody times ) although I may be wrong

I popped back to the garage today on the off-chance that there was problems with a batch of fuel - but nothing reported. This engine had always run as sweet as a nut so I'm very surprised she's given up.....

Sorry for the novel
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 00:48   #9
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

& you were worrying about BT & her nos & she outlasted Mouthy
Pedro Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 00:58   #10
MissDMeanor
Corruption rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Fandango View Post
& you were worrying about BT & her nos & she outlasted Mouthy
I think BT sabotaged Mouthy so that she looks good

Mouthy may sound like a Ferguson but at least she doesn't chuck out blue smoke unlike some......

She'll be back before you know it to blow the dirt off BT as she flies by boyo

Last edited by MissDMeanor; Apr 5th, 2007 at 01:07.
MissDMeanor is offline   Reply With Quote