Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

my new project

Views : 3183

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 27th, 2010, 08:25   #21
jetronic63

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240karl View Post

just one more thing, i know it needs front shockers, do i go the original route or get better suspension but a bit lower? and any other ideas of what to do with it more than welcome
I lowered the front on mine, it made a massive difference to the way it drives. Much better on corners and much more stable on the motorway. I would definitely recommend it as a mod and you can always return it to stock if you need to. I have bilstein HD shocks all round which give tighter control but still comfy. Maybe some GLT springs on yours to give subtle drop and improve the handling would be a good choice - shocks are a problem as GLT shocks are scarce. Bilsteins are pricey although better value if you get from the US. I was going to poly bush my car but heard that could increase noise so stuck with genuine Volvo rubber and just poly on the anti roll bar. I also put a Jetex exhaust and filter on which gives a slight improvement at higher revs and looks much much nicer. As a previous poster said, everyone has different tastes and while I love the way my car looks and goes, there are many directions to go in depending on what ticks your boxes. You have a nice car to start with though so plenty of possibilities !
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 20:59   #22
240karl

cheers jetronic, ill defo be seeing to the suspension as the sruts are rotten. anyway heres some pics from earlier
the o/s/f strut, i put my screwdriver thru the sprig seat,

n/s spare wheel well, the white bits are the holes

o/s well

and my right hand man checkin inside

and pretending to drive lol
240karl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 240karl For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 06:38   #23
john h
VOC Member

Yeah, nasty spring seat. A bit scary to think that's taking the weight of that corner of the car.

The rear wells look to have typical rust. If you check on Steve thread, you'll see the repair process we did.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...46997&page=117

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john h For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 07:05   #24
240karl

very interesting thankyou john, ill be sourcing some struts when i get back off holiday, id rather spend a week on denis tho, thats the volvos name now lol
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 22:50   #25
240karl

back from me hols, and got some suspension for the car, 2 front struts, wishbones discs and calipers plus the flexi brakehoses, 45 quid, bargain lol, prob be fitting it tommorrow aft so ill have some new pics
The Following User Says Thank You to 240karl For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 18:03   #26
240karl

Angry

well small update, i havent really got any further with the suspension due to the bolt been siezed into the front wishbone bush on the the nearside. its disheartenin when ive had to put it back together and back in the garage. hopefully borrow the good old grinder from work tommorrow and crack on with it.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 19:05   #27
jetronic63

Makes it feel even better when you're done
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 22:47   #28
john h
VOC Member

Keep at it. You'll get there in the end

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 19:16   #29
240karl

Talking

got the o/s/f suspension replaced now, just got the brake to bleed on that side, didnt get any pics of that but heres some,

excuse the blur, it was missing!

hmmm, better get it taxed lol
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 20:29   #30
240karl

im getting there now, got the o/s/f suspension replaced now, just the brakepipes to make up and bleed. went to put it back in the garage and realised she was out of petrol, good job ive freed the brakes off!