Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Intercooler or turbo issue.

Views : 1427

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 4th, 2015, 20:14   #1
Tpot

Default Intercooler or turbo issue.

Can anyone please direct me to a solution to the following ?

52 plate S60 D5

Last week I lost power at the range the turbo would kick in the. It came back again all ok. Gradually over the next few days this happened more until now it's struggling to drive at all. Occasionally I can feel the turbo trying to boost but the dies. If pushed I get a message engine service required but it doesn't go into limp mode.
Looking today when the engine is revved the large hose on the left side as your looking at the cooler from the front swells the right side gets harder also when revved. I can't hear any leaks at all.

Is this a comman issue and if so how deep am I going to need to dig into my very empty pockets to fix it.

My appreciation of any help in advance as I'm dreading the replies so close to Christmas

Martin

Last edited by Tpot; Dec 4th, 2015 at 20:49.
Tpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2015, 20:40   #2
savabill
Master Member

What are you driving? Year, engine etc.

NOW 59 REG 2.5T V70 Ice White

SOLD 55 REG T5 V70 Ruby Red
savabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2015, 20:46   #3
Tpot

Sorry. That would have been a help wouldn't it.

52 plate s60 D5
The Following User Says Thank You to Tpot For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2015, 22:01   #4
moorgate

get a torch and shine it down the back of the engine. You should see the bottom inlet hose making a right-angled turn into the turbo. It has the crankcase breather hose joining it, descending nearly vertically down the back of the block. If you can move the crankcase breather in it's port in the inlet hose at all with your hand, then the inlet hose is polluted with oil and will be flexing, letting in air, and from what you've said may just have developed a split over the last few days.

Replacements are pretty reasonable on eBay and it's not too hard a job to get it out, so long as you have enough sockets to take out the strut brace...
moorgate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moorgate For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2015, 11:34   #5
Tpot

Ok I've had a look at that hose from the turbo this morning and I can't rotate the elbow coming from it. However the big plastic hose seems very soft. Is that normal ?
Old Dec 5th, 2015, 12:07   #6
D5meister
Premier Member

The power restriction and the apparent excess inlet pressure could be an exhaust issue. If a perf tube has rotted and is sitting with glass wadd over the outlet of a box you would have low power and excess inlet pressure.

I suggest this is a red herring and you should take a look at the front grille - if oily black in the centre your IC is blown.

If the big rigid plastic hose is squashy suggests your front seal in turbo is leaking to excess and the oil has denatured the plastic from the inside.

Sometimes the TCV can play up. They have a breather mesh behind a removable box shaped cover which can be unblocked with a low power solvent like IPA, dont use full on carb cleaner as this melts the plastic innerds and ends its recoverable life right there.

I would take the big hose off that feeds the top of the Block try and remove the mass of oil and carbon that will be there. Use carb cleaner in the hose and poke chunks of a towel thru with a decent stick

Last edited by D5meister; Dec 5th, 2015 at 12:11.
D5meister is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D5meister For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2015, 14:31   #7
Tpot

Ok an update on what I've tried today.

I removed the large elbow at the front of the bay to remove the box with the mesh in. The elbow was full of soot and oily residues removed the box and the little cover to the mesh and that and the two pipes were relatively clean. I still gave them a clean and put them all back. I also removed the hose from the middle of the cooler to the bottom of the block and that was clean with a small oil residue no soot. Put it all back and took it out for a spin. Nothing has changed. Still gutless and the engine service required message came back.

I'm almost at the end of my mechanical capability if I was t so skint and need a car for work I would leave it with the keys in and a sign saying free to good home.
Old Dec 5th, 2015, 15:13   #8
4candles
I've Been Banned

If its not internal exhaust/cat collapse then it sounds turbo related.
4candles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2015, 17:13   #9
Tpot

I have a friend with a lazer thermometer who will test the temp before and after the cat on Monday so hopefully that will tell me if it's the cat
Old Dec 5th, 2015, 17:32   #10
D5meister
Premier Member

I take it u looked at the grille to c if its all oily?
D5meister is offline   Reply With Quote