Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo C30 - first official press release

Views : 2918

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 6th, 2006, 10:22   #11
oilburner
Volvo är stor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5lab
amen to that.. i've been saying the same thing on here for months. but the zelots just wont listen
incidentally, the old s/v40, a misubishi, often comes in the top 10 cars in reliability surveys.. the next best volvo is around 60th place.. additionally ford is 5th in the best manufacturers, volvo isnt in the top 10 at all..
as for a company doing worse after integration.. thats simply not true - audi have excelled with the a3, and jag are doing well with teh x-type..
Exactly. I wonder if Ford had a middle-class image (ala Volvo) whether the objections to the Volvo takeover and integration would be so loud. I.e. would there be so many complaints if Volvo had been bought by BMW? To me, this suggests some people are simply being Snobs about the whole thing.

I'm much happier to see Volvo thriving like they are now, than taking the route to independence and ending up like MG Rover...

2019 V90 T4 (me) & 2017 Volvo XC60 D4 AWD (other half)
Gone but not forgotten: 2016 V60 CC AWD, 2015 V70 D4, 2005 S80 D5 and 2001 V70 2.4
oilburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 10:26   #12
Triang

True - I'm afraid that was the choice. taken over or going bust...

I'm glad that Ford is at the reigns rather than GM - I can't beleive Saab will survive on the strength of it's current models - the Saab Sports hatch has had cheap looking 'white' rear lights added to make it look sexier.

It makes it look like a tarted up Nova....
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 05:34   #13
T240
Pure is Beautiful

Have to agree that the Ford money is indeed not just a godsend, but absolutely necessary.

What isn't necessary is slowly bleeding Volvo of their identity. Unfortunately they ARE taking them down the Saab route, and there really is something to worry about. The new generation of cars will be mostly Ford, including the straight six engine, which is a Ford design and is to be built in the Ford plant at Bridgend!

Call me a zealot, and I know I'm not alone, but if I want to buy a Ford I'll buy one; I expect something a cut above from Volvo.
Pete made a good, valid point, in that were Ford a more upmarket company we would view their dabbling in a different light. Then again, were they such a company, I suspect their dabbling would be more limited.

In the long-term, the chances are, as someone pointed out a while back, Volvo will probably end up with their almost natural partner, Renault; as Ford, like GM seem doomed. Personally, having seen how Renault have handled their acquisitions, I would have more faith in their ownership than Ford's.
Whatever the case, time will tell.

Just to clear up any misconceptions about the original S/V40, here is a section of an original article from Autocar 22nd May 1996:

'Design & Engineering

Sharing platforms with rival car makers to cut costs is nothing new. But Volvo's S40 saloon, V40 wagon and their Mitsubishi Carisma cousin go beyond the standard definition.
Today's car makers regard everything from expensive multiplex wiring to individual suspension sub-assemblies as shareable "platforms" . But to Volvo and Mitsubishi, the cost sharing centres NOT on the car's components but on their uniquely flexible production line.
S40s, V40s and Carismas are assembled in varying quantities on the same NedCar line in Holland, but other than a few fasteners you WON'T find any common parts.'

So, you see, NOT a Mitsubishi at all; though I'm certain their influence helped improve the quality coming out of the NedCar plant,which was previously variable to say the least.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 08:19   #14
drivesavolvo

It looks like a cross between a Saxo, a Clio and a Golf.

What have Volvo done this time?
That is one ugly looking car.
Sorry people but i just dont like the look of it at all. Its far too 'common shaped' for me.

Ah well, Ford were always going to **** it up wern't they.
drivesavolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 15:13   #15
darkus

Just my .02c

The ford focus, despite being a Ford is a very good basis for any car, be it volvo or ford. Now when car manufacturers say the car is 'based' on such and such car, that means the platforum is shared, other then the basic arcitecture and layout, there are no similarities in the car. So the build quality, material quality, etc are completly different between the 2 cars. What you might not like about the focus is that its plasticly and doesnt give a solid feel, this comes from the materials that are used in a car, with heavier and more robust interior components the car will have a very volvo feel and you would never know that it shares the same floorplan with a focus.

With all that said, im really dieing to see this car firsthand, unfortunatly I couldnt make it to the detroit show but hopefully it will pop up in dealership this summer, that would be a nice dream for me (I dont know if its likely from the timetables ppl are talking about)>>

Heres a great video I found which will get those ppl that are unexcited, excited: http://www.c30world.com/forums/goodi...30_debut_1.wmv

video was stolen from http://www.c30world.com credits to them.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 15:36   #16
5lab

interesting video, not convinced by that guys speech.. not exactly flowing was it??

0-60 in 6 though? nippy
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 19:02   #17
darkus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5lab
interesting video, not convinced by that guys speech.. not exactly flowing was it??
0-60 in 6 though? nippy

very nippy 5.8 to be exact, super very nippy

Im loving volvo right now

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 21:10   #18
dave-t

Having just bought my first Volvo (S40 T5) my opinions do not probably carry much credence – but here they are anyway.

I think it is a cracking looking car and wish Volvo all the success with it.

To many it is probably too different or even radical. But Volvo has only done what others have done before them; Renault with the new Megane and Honda with the new Civic. Volvo are simply trying to attract the younger car buying market and the C30 is aimed straight at the young professional and those who want style, comfort and safety as well as practicality. Personally I think the C30 offers all of these and the car should stand extremely well against the BMW 1 series, VW Golf and Audi A3.

No, it is not a “pure” Volvo but, lets be realistic, we will never see one of those again. However they have taken one of the best platforms on the market and built something completely different to its sisters. There is no way, in my opinion, that you can compare the S40 or C30 with a Focus. They may share the same platform but they are totally different cars.

With Volvo’s slogan of “for life” the younger you can get someone into to your product the longer they will be a customer. If the quality of build, safety, reliability and customer service continues at the current high standard, Volvo must on to a winner.

The C30 is already nomiate as the What Car, Reader's Car of the Year 2006

Go vote !

http://www.whatcar.com/Reader_awards...raward2006.asp