Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60, 2013, turbo boost sensor

Views : 550

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 16th, 2024, 11:51   #1
V60white

Default V60, 2013, turbo boost sensor

Trying to resolve the loss of the turbo , power wise, when it has run for short while giving the P00BD00 code fault and additionally the turbo overboost code giving rise the the EML dash light warning. I have been cleaning sensors.
The map sensor on the intake was clogged, the heat nipple leaking and a sensor clean of the maf too so I need the tmap ??? out of the intercooler pipe.
It is buried at the bottom of the engine bay, I can see the top and the t25 retaining screw but I can't find a way to get a t25 socket or screwdriver on it..

It can't be that difficult surely, what am I missing, or indeed need, to get at it?? Removal of some pipework??

It's a V60, 2013, 2 litre, 5 pot.
Any thoughts appreciated.
V60white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2024, 22:28   #2
b1mcp

I did a write up of replacing the sensor on my XC60. Different car but sounds similar, so it may help.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=304385
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to b1mcp For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2024, 17:11   #3
V60white

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1mcp View Post
I did a write up of replacing the sensor on my XC60. Different car but sounds similar, so it may help.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=304385
Great, thanks for that !

Looks like this is a fairly common issue then...

Got the sensor out, bit of fine oil but nothing bad, cleaned it up, reinstalled it..
Up the road and it throws the code again.

Checked the live data and it appears the tmap sensor value is about 20% below the expected value...
Ordered a new sensor...we will see !!!
Old Feb 17th, 2024, 18:03   #4
GMcL
0's and 1's

Hopefully this will be the answer and save you throwing more money at parts.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GMcL For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2024, 13:24   #5
V60white

Tmap sensor replaced , new T25 screwdriver acquired , just got to test it out now.
Checked pipework for splits, everything seems OK but without a smoke machine I can prove anything.
Old Mar 1st, 2024, 16:59   #6
V60white

Got all the readings from sensors as they should be either replaced or cleaned as required. The maf unit was reading low too so replaced that, cleaning didn't help.
Now I have a smooth engine, with boost to 2500rpm. After that rpm the service light comes on and the turbo drops off....

Clearing the codes, "too much air going in", puts it back to normal until next we hit 2500rpm.

Is this, likely, the turbo boost solenoid, the only bit I haven't taken off, cleaned or replaced !!!
Would a fault here give me that P00BD00 code?

Last edited by V60white; Mar 1st, 2024 at 17:04.
Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 15:28   #7
V60white

Taken the turbo boost solenoid off and in the unpowered position the intake and out pipes can be blown through, either way with no resistance.
The terminals give me about 24h ohms resistance instead of about 30 ???

I presume that in the powered position, I.e. engine running this would normally OPEN the valve to allow vacuum / air through ??
Old Mar 15th, 2024, 17:00   #8
V60white

Just to finish this off, all the sensors now giving the correct readings, really smooth and quick below 2500rpm.
A smoke test revealed a tiny split in the intercooler to egr right underneath the base of the airfilter housing and hidden by the protection sock.
The lower hose clip on the intercooler connection is a barsteward to get at resulting in a "one flat at a time" on the spanner removal ! No access for even a 1/4" ratchet and socket or screwdriver.
Plus a load of cash for a new pipe !

Result though, back on full song .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to V60white For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 15th, 2024, 19:52   #9
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by V60white View Post
Just to finish this off, all the sensors now giving the correct readings, really smooth and quick below 2500rpm.
A smoke test revealed a tiny split in the intercooler to egr right underneath the base of the airfilter housing and hidden by the protection sock.
That's where mine went, except it wasn't a tiny split it was a massive tear about 6" long and yes that pipe is ridiculously expensive for a light pressure turbo. I could understand for a twin turbo setup.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GMcL For This Useful Post: