Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

is this etm fault

Views : 8475

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 9th, 2011, 20:50   #31
richard s

after cleaning the afm the car has been better it still does it but not as often as it was before and not as harsh as it was before
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 11:57   #32
littonlad

Not a Turbo model, probably a sneaky jap doing the install at build time ;-)

Was posted yesterday afternoon by Parclefarce 24 hour delivery (£17.45 - uprated insurance), and was signed for this morning before 10:00am.

All going smoothly up to press
littonlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 12:34   #33
Andypa

Don't suppose you've got any tips for getting at that starter motor to get the cabling out?!!

I've got mine to remove on Friday to send to BBA for re-furb on Monday
Andypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 12:49   #34
littonlad

Not a turbo, probably just a sneeky little jap doing the build ;-)

Anyway, sent the part on Monday via parcelfarce (£17.45p) and it arrived Tuesday morning.
Today's Friday and I received it back this morning tested and repaired.
Cost was £190 inc VAT & 24 hr delivery back to me.

Fitted it, went round the block (about 5 miles) and it seems fine. Driving at the speed where it would fail before I can't make it fail now. Also the auto box seems to be changing smoother rather than lurching from gear to gear.

I'll post another update in about a weeks time.

Happy Bunny this afternoon.
The Following User Says Thank You to littonlad For This Useful Post:
Old May 13th, 2011, 13:07   #35
littonlad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andypa View Post
Don't suppose you've got any tips for getting at that starter motor to get the cabling out?!!

I've got mine to remove on Friday to send to BBA for re-furb on Monday
It is possible to remove the bracket then pull the cable around the starter motor.

There's 2 10mm nuts holding the bracket to the starter motor which I managed to get off with a 1/4" drive socket and wrench, then a 12mm bolt at the other end of the bracket that attaches it to the engine block. I got this off with a 1/2" drive socket and universal joint on the wrench.

It's fiddly and slow but possible, and is better than taking the fan out or the manifold off.

Good luck!
Old May 15th, 2011, 21:37   #36
Andypa

Yep, managed it in about 15 minutes (with some help)! Cheers

It's all boxed up ready for collection on Monday
Old May 18th, 2011, 12:29   #37
littonlad

Hasn't been a week I know but I'm incredibly impressed with the change in the car this has made.
No re-occurance of the fault and the car is driving like a completely different one. As said in my previous post the auto-box is changing much more smoothly and the car is far more responsive and sprightly, with livelier acceleration and the whole drive feels so good now.

If you're having ETM problems I can't recommend getting it sorted enough, it's been money very well spent.
The Following User Says Thank You to littonlad For This Useful Post:
Old May 18th, 2011, 21:46   #38
Andypa

How long were you without the ETM for in total?

Mine not got off to a good start!

Phoned BBA friday, it was supposed to be picked up on monday, but courier didn't turn up. Phoned BBA around 5pm but they wouldn't check with courier for me cos' apparently courier has until 5:30. Unfortunately BBA also close at 5:30 so couldn't phone them back afterwards!

Phoned again first thing Tues am, but they weren't particulary interested/helpful

Eventually got them to contact courier around 11 on Tues, got a call straight after from UPS and part was picked up an hour later

Part arrived Weds am and got a phone call from UPS to confirm, apparently it was their **** up

But upshot is I'm noe going to be lucky to get it back for Friday

I've e-mailed a director at BBA begging for help to process it asap, fingers crossed

Just hope the end result is as good as yours
Old May 19th, 2011, 06:58   #39
littonlad

Took mine off the car on Sunday afternoon for Monday morning posting. It was back on the car just after lunch on Friday.

Sounds like your courier is/was the problem.
Old May 19th, 2011, 13:00   #40
Andypa

Looks like I've just dropped on unlucky then! - They arranged the courier though not me.

It's just got even better, just phoned them for a progress report because I've still not heard anything from them and I've been told that they are now waiting for parts so possibly another couple of days till they repair it. That takes us to NEXT tuesday, back with me weds - unbelievable!!!!!!!