Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

hi all

Views : 867

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 16th, 2008, 19:02   #1
iand1967

Default hi all

hi all this is my first post and my first volvo i have got a 1998 v70 2.5 10v auto and im in love with it so far , i got it to pull my 2005 sprite alpine ,the car is only the 140 bhp model but im hoping that it will have the low down grunt to pull it ,i will find out next weekend as it will be the first trip out with the car pulling . the car has spent all its life with a man that loved it polished it and did not drive it very often it only has 35k on the clock it has not been used as a tug as i had the tow bar fitted . it has full mdsh etc but i think i will need to change the cam belt and gbox oil due to the age of the car if anyone is towing with a 2.5 10v i would love to no how you get on with it etc thanks ian
iand1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 20:57   #2
saturnuranus
VOC Member

Hi and welcome to the VOC forum

Congratulations on your purchase of what sounds like a superb example of a V70! With regard to towing, the power/torque from the 2.5 10V unit always worked well for us. My dad used his previous 850 2.5 10V to tow a multitude of things including a caravan and on one occasion my Pug 106 track car/spares and it never struggled at all.

On changing fluids/belt etc, i've always actioned a change of all major fluids and the timing belt every time I've bought a car. I like to keep my cars a few years so its always nice to know I've got maintenance off to a good start.

Hope your trip goes ok, a report will be expected ;-)
saturnuranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 13:57   #3
gary austin

Default v70 towing

hi i also used to tow with a v70 10v auto ,check out if it has had the aditional gearbox oil cooler fitted as the standard one is only suited to the car weight ,worth checking this out as you dont want to fry the box it mentions it in the hand book cheers gary
gary austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 19:21   #4
iand1967

hi all no it does not have the gearbox oil cooler fitted but it will have soon ,
iand1967 is offline   Reply With Quote