Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 840292

Replies : 6336

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 13th, 2021, 11:10   #801
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That's right on the borderline of being Historic and not at the moment Alan. Very similar to when you bought the RB, only about a year to wait for Historic status so he didn't really have much choice to put it in for MoT as it doesn't yet qualify for exemption.

That said, i concur with your comments about not setting the carb up. However i have a slightly more jaundiced view of him having paintwork done. That colour (as well as many reds) is what i've always known as a fugitive colour. I strongly suspect he gave it to one of his mates who just happens to do body/paint work and said words to the effect of "Sort the paint cheap for me".
Said mate then mopped it and polished it.

As for the idle, it wouldn't have passed the MoT, even at 3.5%CO if the carb was that far out, it's more likely to be the PCV system needs cleaning, new seal on the oil filler cap (possibly a new cap as well) or that he's too used to more modern engines that idle smoothly without the characteristic off-beat redblock idle.

That said, it could be that lack of use has caused cavitation in the torque converter and this is causing a lumpy idle. Luckily this usually clears with gentle use (before giving it the beans!) to recirculate the fluid throughout the box.

Value-wise, because at first glance it looks clean and tidy and generally in good condition, i suspect it will go to about £4000 +/- £250, i might be wrong but the bidding is already strong (haven't looked for possible shill bidding yet) so time will tell. However as is often said in this thread, it does look familiar, i'm sure we've seen this one before.
Agreed Dave. the car reminded me of the RB when I bought it 18 months ago, sort of similar condition. This looks like a nice car (I'm even a bit tempted by it, but not at the price I think it will go for).

The re-painting bit is odd - maybe you are right and the car has been mopped - but it does look like fresh paint in the YouTube video. If it has indeed been painted, I still find it bizarre that he/she took a week doing that but can't set up the carburettor. The seller seems to know a bit about cars in that he has changed lots of bits like the callipers, cam belt and so on. Anyway, perhaps I'm just a bit cynical - I still think it looks like a really nice car.

I did wonder about not having the V5. If the seller has had it long enough to get it repainted, change all the brakes and the cam belt then why hasn't he got the V% (they are coming back quite quickly now, within about a week).

If the price was 2 grand (what I paid for the RB) I'd buy it straight away, but I think it will go for double that (maybe a bit more) - which is strong money.

:-)

Last edited by Othen; Aug 13th, 2021 at 11:17.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 13th, 2021, 13:06   #802
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I did wonder about not having the V5. If the seller has had it long enough to get it repainted, change all the brakes and the cam belt then why hasn't he got the V% (they are coming back quite quickly now, within about a week).

The problem is Alan, whoever sold the car to him hasn't sent their portion of the V5 to the DVLA - it changed a few years back so the burden of proof on selling a car wasn't with the buyer but the seller, they now have to send their part of the V5 back to generate a new one.

He could have it as long as you care to mention but if the previous owner hasn't sent their part of the V5, he'll not get one unless he applies for it. Maybe he doesn't know this so hasn't given the previous seller a nudge or perhaps doesn't want to as they're going through some rough times.

Still a few questionable things about the listing though..........

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 13th, 2021, 14:29   #803
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
The problem is Alan, whoever sold the car to him hasn't sent their portion of the V5 to the DVLA - it changed a few years back so the burden of proof on selling a car wasn't with the buyer but the seller, they now have to send their part of the V5 back to generate a new one.

He could have it as long as you care to mention but if the previous owner hasn't sent their part of the V5, he'll not get one unless he applies for it. Maybe he doesn't know this so hasn't given the previous seller a nudge or perhaps doesn't want to as they're going through some rough times.

Still a few questionable things about the listing though..........
I suppose selling a car without the V5 would be a problem. There must be a procedure for the new owner to apply to DVLA for a replacement on the strength of a receipt, but that would detract quite a bit from the provenance of the motor car. What if the V5 comes back showing the vehicle has had 15 previous owners, or it shows the previous mileage a decade ago was 200,000, or the car is a different colour... or whatever.

PS: ... or even worse it was scrapped in 2006!
PPS: I did some research on the DVLA website:

The last V5 was issued in 2012 - so it is unlikely the current owner has ever had the V5, and it must be the case that the previous owner didn't report it being sold to DVLA. It seems odd (to me) that the current owner would have the V5c/2 - so perhaps that is all he got with the car and it has changed hands a few more times since 2012. The motor car has not been MoT tested in living memory (prior to this year) so I wonder what happened to it in the meantime. I'm quite intrigued by this car and tempted to bid if the price isn't too high.

Last edited by Othen; Aug 13th, 2021 at 15:34.
Old Aug 14th, 2021, 20:58   #804
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Thank you for sorting out that link Dave, the one I posted does not seem to work at all, so I must have done something wrong in the simple cut and paste procedure.

The wheels: yes, it had those rather silly (in my opinion) big wheels last time, I recognised them straight away.

The car won't need a MoT test, but like you I have a feeling there is something fishy going on. Last time it was for sale at £6,000 (it didn't seem to get any bids at that price, but I wonder if the buyer agreed a price then made the car 'no longer available' and so avoided the eBay charges?). This time the seller just wants to unload it. I suppose it could be the same seller (if it failed to sell in April) trying it again from a different address, it could be the new owner having discovered some sinister secret trying to unload it... or it could be genuine as per the ad.

It will be interesting to see what it makes, it looks a nice enough car but a bit too bling for my taste.

Alan

PS. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-244...-127635-2958-0

... for some reason that link to the original ad works on my iPad, but not on a PC. Life is far too short to bother working out the reason why. It is certainly the same car though:

This one just sold on eBay for £5577 - which I thought was strong money for what it was, but might also have been a £500 (plus expenses) loss over 4 months for the seller - assuring it made the £6,000 asking price last time of course.

I could well be wrong, but I can’t help thinking we are going to see this beast again very soon :-)

Last edited by Othen; Aug 14th, 2021 at 21:11. Reason: Spelling
Old Aug 14th, 2021, 21:10   #805
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I suppose selling a car without the V5 would be a problem. There must be a procedure for the new owner to apply to DVLA for a replacement on the strength of a receipt, but that would detract quite a bit from the provenance of the motor car. What if the V5 comes back showing the vehicle has had 15 previous owners, or it shows the previous mileage a decade ago was 200,000, or the car is a different colour... or whatever.

PS: ... or even worse it was scrapped in 2006!
PPS: I did some research on the DVLA website:

The last V5 was issued in 2012 - so it is unlikely the current owner has ever had the V5, and it must be the case that the previous owner didn't report it being sold to DVLA. It seems odd (to me) that the current owner would have the V5c/2 - so perhaps that is all he got with the car and it has changed hands a few more times since 2012. The motor car has not been MoT tested in living memory (prior to this year) so I wonder what happened to it in the meantime. I'm quite intrigued by this car and tempted to bid if the price isn't too high.
Temptation became too much for me and I did sneak in a bid at £2,100 a day or so ago. Although it is very similar to the RB, I thought it worth taking a chance on bidding having run out of steam - and happily bought it at that price.

I was a little relieved to see I was no longer winning the auction this eve, so I won’t have to buy another 244 auto. I still think it will make quite strong money - something close to £4,000. If the seller had the V5 it would make quite a bit more.

Last edited by Othen; Aug 14th, 2021 at 21:12. Reason: Spelling
Old Aug 14th, 2021, 21:17   #806
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

'ow much??????????

I'm surprised at that Alan, almost lost for words in fact!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Aug 14th, 2021, 21:26   #807
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
'ow much??????????

I'm surprised at that Alan, almost lost for words in fact!
Do you mean the £5577 Dave? I thought that was strong money also. Bearing in my mind my thoughts about the seller possibly being the same as in April I wonder whether we might see it again soon (if you were cynical you might read that as me thinking there could be some shill bidding going on) ho hum.
Old Aug 14th, 2021, 21:32   #808
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Do you mean the £5577 Dave? I thought that was strong money also. Bearing in my mind my thoughts about the seller possibly being the same as in April I wonder whether we might see it again soon (if you were cynical you might read that as me thinking there could be some shill bidding going on) ho hum.
Yes Alan, i hadn't noticed your other reply when i typed that. Seems a lot of money for a car that has lost some of its provenance because of those wheels, albeit a special edition (when a special edition meant something) with the original stripes etc on.

What do you mean, if i was cynical? You know i most certainly am and for the same reasons too!

Old Aug 14th, 2021, 21:36   #809
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Yes Alan, i hadn't noticed your other reply when i typed that. Seems a lot of money for a car that has lost some of its provenance because of those wheels, albeit a special edition (when a special edition meant something) with the original stripes etc on.

What do you mean, if i was cynical? You know i most certainly am and for the same reasons too!
If I was a betting man (and I’m not) then I’d have a wager on us seeing the same ad in a week, but starting ‘due to a time waster…’

Old Aug 14th, 2021, 23:12   #810
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
If I was a betting man (and I’m not) then I’d have a wager on us seeing the same ad in a week, but starting ‘due to a time waster…’

Likewise! Closest i get to betting is 2 lines on the lottery and when i was at work or at the pub, if they did a sweep on the grand National, i'd stick a nugget in the tub and pull a horse name out of the hat. Won it once in 1994, got about £50, remember it well as i had to pull a 12 hour shift that day so didn't get home until about 830pm. Was staying with my dad at the time and apparently my brother had phoned up to tell me i'd won the sweepstake.
Quick bath, changed, wandered up the pub and ordered dinner from the kebab shop on the way.

Based on that vast experience of weighing up the odds i'd definitely say you're right Alan!