Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What's the point of Red and Green Men?

Views : 1342

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 21st, 2013, 15:03   #1
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Default What's the point of Red and Green Men?

I was walking to work this morning from the station which involves crossing may road with traffic lights that have the red and green men for pedestrians.

Everybody ignores them, even the 2 policemen that I walked beside for 3 sets of lights which therefore begs the question - if they are ignored by the people enforcing the law what is the point of having them?

Seems to me that all they are doing is keeping tourists happy as they generally obey them and keeping Siemens people employed as they generally manufacture and maintain these articles.

Of course the other thing they are doing is eating a hole in the public purse which we support with our taxes and community charges.
Old Mar 21st, 2013, 15:27   #2
tt82
Forum Support Team

Hmm, driving to Asda this afternoon an old lady (old, but not really geriatric) nearly stepped out in front of me. She was 20 yds from a Zebra crossing but rather than walk to it she was trying to cross at a busy junction. Theres a school on a busy road a mile away from me where parents regularly stood in the middle of the road with young children instead of walking 50 yds to a pelican crossing, or 25 yds the other way to an Island in the road, all down to pure laziness and wanting to park opposite the enterance to the school and cross there!

Pelican crossing and Island. Route they choose to cross.

I would support a J-walking law here, especially concerning youngsters. Anybody under the age of 16 found crossing the road within 100yds of a crossing point will have their parents/responsible adult they were with fined.

Last edited by tt82; Mar 21st, 2013 at 15:30.
tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2013, 16:22   #3
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

I agree with what you say, however finding a responsible adult could be a significant challenge
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2013, 16:37   #4
Bill_56
Premier Member

There's one junction in the market town near to where I live, where the central crossroads narros to just one car's width, and so it is controlled by 4-way lights.

It is trivially easy, and completely safe (IMHO) to simply watch the traffic and nip across behind the last car when the lights are changing, to the extent I don't think I remember seeing anybody even bothering to press the 'green man' button. For reason such as that, I'd defend the rights of pedestrians to use their common sense, and resist jay walking laws.

In the larger and busier towns around here the green men crossings seem to be greatly appreciated by some (emphasise that word!) cyclists as they are often conveniently situated for fast access to footpaths and other pedestrian zones.
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2013, 16:44   #5
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
I was walking to work this morning from the station which involves crossing may road with traffic lights that have the red and green men for pedestrians.

Everybody ignores them, even the 2 policemen that I walked beside for 3 sets of lights which therefore begs the question - if they are ignored by the people enforcing the law what is the point of having them?

Seems to me that all they are doing is keeping tourists happy as they generally obey them and keeping Siemens people employed as they generally manufacture and maintain these articles.

Of course the other thing they are doing is eating a hole in the public purse which we support with our taxes and community charges.
Believe it or not, but if you cross a red pedestrian crossing light here in Germany and are caught doing so, it is treated as if you were to cross a red light whilst driving your car.

You get points and a fine! If you don't have a lisence (say you're a kid) then it costs the parents a few Euros...

Personally I think it is a good idea. Unpersonally I myself do sometimes just cross the red lights if no traffic is to be seen what so ever... I don't though when I am behind the wheel.

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daim For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2013, 17:12   #6
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daim View Post
Believe it or not, but if you cross a red pedestrian crossing light here in Germany and are caught doing so, it is treated as if you were to cross a red light whilst driving your car.

You get points and a fine! If you don't have a lisence (say you're a kid) then it costs the parents a few Euros...

Personally I think it is a good idea. Unpersonally I myself do sometimes just cross the red lights if no traffic is to be seen what so ever... I don't though when I am behind the wheel.
Daim

Having lived in Germany for many years I know how strict they can be and also the difference that having the STVA as a law and Highway Code as a guide makes.

That is one of the reason that visitors stand waiting for the green man, it is they way they were brought up, to obey the law, rather than adopt the 'I'm all right, jack' attitude that is prevalent in UK now

BTW, I was fined CHF50 for crossing the road in Zurich last year not using the approved crossing place - and as you are aware it is an 'on the spot' fine, no argument, no leeway, pay up or get nicked (and then pay a lot more).

I was also fined DM25 many years ago for stopping a junction with the nose of my car over the whiteline - I am sure you are also aware of that
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2013, 17:31   #7
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Daim

Having lived in Germany for many years I know how strict they can be and also the difference that having the STVA as a law and Highway Code as a guide makes.

That is one of the reason that visitors stand waiting for the green man, it is they way they were brought up, to obey the law, rather than adopt the 'I'm all right, jack' attitude that is prevalent in UK now

BTW, I was fined CHF50 for crossing the road in Zurich last year not using the approved crossing place - and as you are aware it is an 'on the spot' fine, no argument, no leeway, pay up or get nicked (and then pay a lot more).

I was also fined DM25 many years ago for stopping a junction with the nose of my car over the whiteline - I am sure you are also aware of that
Yeah, the German StVO is a VERY thick book and is full of dos and def. do nots. But then again, this does make the German driver stupid, as he/she can not adapt to a different situation. For example: roundabouts. They are now getting in fashion here but the German highway code has two different laws with contradict eachother in terms of right of way. Result: traffic sticks nastily. Or the "green arrow sign" at a red light (a little green arrow next to the red light, always pointing right allowing you to turn right after coming to a halt at a red light). Imported from the former GDR, the Germans can't get on with it. Either they sit in front of it and don't know what to do or they simply driver over the red light turning off as if the light was green...

But yeah, fines are quickly given and if you are caught "red handed" then you pay on the spot. If you can't the fine is either doubled are sometimes even trippled due to administration fees etc.

Old Mar 21st, 2013, 18:08   #8
Bill_56
Premier Member

To clarify my understanding... there is no law in the UK against a pedestrian crossing on red, is there?

As a slight aside, one thing I've noticed in visits to the USA (Southern states especially) is that should somebody (usually a Brit' who doesn't know the local laws and who's also failed to look the right way) step out into traffic and in violation of the Jay Walking laws, most cars will just calmly and courteously come to a standstill and wait for the pedestrian to correct their mistake. There is not usually the blasting of horns or shouts of abuse as would happen in London if a pedestrian dared to inconvenience the traffic.
Old Mar 21st, 2013, 18:47   #9
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_56 View Post
To clarify my understanding... there is no law in the UK against a pedestrian crossing on red, is there?

As a slight aside, one thing I've noticed in visits to the USA (Southern states especially) is that should somebody (usually a Brit' who doesn't know the local laws and who's also failed to look the right way) step out into traffic and in violation of the Jay Walking laws, most cars will just calmly and courteously come to a standstill and wait for the pedestrian to correct their mistake. There is not usually the blasting of horns or shouts of abuse as would happen in London if a pedestrian dared to inconvenience the traffic.
I doubt a UK driver would get along with the US driving laws and right of way either... A crossroad with say 10 joining roads. No lights. Traffic would flow in the States quietly, calmly, no issues. First come, first go. The "common" European (and Brit) would probably stand there giving way to the left/right/whoever!

Old Mar 21st, 2013, 20:02   #10
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daim View Post
I doubt a UK driver would get along with the US driving laws and right of way either... A crossroad with say 10 joining roads. No lights. Traffic would flow in the States quietly, calmly, no issues. First come, first go. The "common" European (and Brit) would probably stand there giving way to the left/right/whoever!
Too true. Or (the Brit) would get a bit paranoid, start to feel cheated, and shoot forwards aggressively when it wasn't his turn.

Odd though that they cope so well as motorists, considering that US ctizens have a certain reputation for (dis)orderly queing in other circumstances, like waiting for a bus or taxi at the airport.

Last edited by Bill_56; Mar 21st, 2013 at 20:03. Reason: missing word