Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

200,000 miles

Views : 2296

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 12th, 2022, 18:08   #11
volvoski

The second car issue is one of reliability and fuel consumption. Realistically the Volvo does forty loaded on a run and we use it to do four or five hundred miles regularly. A more modern replacement should do sixty mpg on the same route/ job and with fuel prices now it’s a significant saving a year.
The Discovery 3 was a great car. It was our second D3. They are so capable and a great long distance motor. Comfort is the best we have had and we have used many great cars on the journey- Audi A8, Saab Aeros,Porsche,multiple Volvo estates et al but the Discovery was the most comfortable. Thirty mpg on a run isn’t great though……
I would happily buy a D4 if the fuel consumption was better. A Alfa Stelvio will give sixty on the run ……An XC 90 would be great but it’s not a great mpg figure with its weight. It’s all a big balancing act. What we can afford to buy and what we can afford to run.
Landrovers cost a lot more to mend than Volvos and I do have a love for all things Alfa…..
Alfa Spider 916
Honda Jazz auto (sorry)
volvoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2022, 19:27   #12
Lancee
Premier Member

I considered a Volvo D3 and the D4, admittedly in a C70, but was concerned with a perception of piston ring issues and diesel in the sump etc?

Went for a D5 C70, already had two V70 D5's on 240,000 and 180,000 miles.

All currently running very sweetly (that's done it!).

I always factor in depreciation.
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2022, 19:38   #13
volvoski

You are absolutely correct when you mention depreciation. We will need to spend around twenty grand to replace it with a used vehicle of shorter age,mileage and comparable quality. That will become five grand over the following ten years which is 1500 a year to. Fuel an existing car… about ten tanks in the xc70 currently. Probably around half to a third of the fuel bill for our longer trips.
The around town consumption is not an issue as we have just got an eight year old auto petrol Honda Jazz to do that donkey work…..
Alfa Spider 916
Honda Jazz auto (sorry)
Old Sep 12th, 2022, 19:41   #14
Lancee
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancee View Post
I considered a Volvo D3 and the D4, admittedly in a C70, but was concerned with a perception of piston ring issues and diesel in the sump etc?

Went for a D5 C70, already had two V70 D5's on 240,000 and 180,000 miles.

All currently running very sweetly (that's done it!).

I always factor in depreciation.
In retrospect, I suspect in mentioning D4 you were talking about a Discovery 4 ?
Old Sep 12th, 2022, 19:50   #15
volvoski

Yes correct,Disco 4. Great car. Twenty grand for a seven year old one with four owners and six figure miles these days.
We took six adults nine cases and hand luggage a hundred miles in our D3. It was cosy but tell me another car that could do it or indeed take the weight.
Alfa Spider 916
Honda Jazz auto (sorry)
Old Sep 12th, 2022, 19:57   #16
Lancee
Premier Member

Easy to get confused on a Volvo forum (I did!) when mentioning D2, D3, D4, or D5 !

Still, hope my bit of input didn't add any further confusion and helped someone in some way !

Is your XC70 diesel or petrol ?

Last edited by Lancee; Sep 12th, 2022 at 20:00.
Old Sep 12th, 2022, 20:45   #17
volvoski

It’s a D5 five pot diesel. 215 bhp the book says.
It goes like a rocket. Can be persuaded to do 50 mpg if you do sixty mph but we generally do a little faster……and get around 40 mpg. Seats are very comfortable. The dogs like it too.
No actual reason we don’t keep it I guess. It’s more how long can it keep doing the job we ask of it reliably at a reasonable mpg.
It’s my wife’s car and sits,on a private,plate and looks good still. I’m no fan of new cars and it would be replaced with a three or four year old car. I’m not prepared to take finance on a car. The forty mpg is becoming an issue though.
Alfa Spider 916
Honda Jazz auto (sorry)
Old Sep 13th, 2022, 08:02   #18
Scooser

I get 55 mpg from my D5 when nursing it at 60 mph on a motorway run.
Scooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2022, 08:43   #19
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

When I bought my Volvo depreciation was the no. 1 consideration on my mind.

After a couple of focuses and a minded (all of which were great) you get to a position where you buy these fords, lavish attention on them, then they become totally worthless and to be frank don’t age well.

I purchased my Volvo 5 years ago, huge luxuary vehicle and have lost about £6,000 over 5 years and 60,000 miles.

My fords lost more than that by multiple values!

By really servicing it well, and still ‘only’ paying £2,500 on all service items, repairs and MOTs to include tyres over 5 years it’s worked out a good value car.

That said with current fuel prices it becomes progibitcly expensive. I looked at getting a newer vehicle but like mine so much that I bought a second city car Suzuki. Free tax and 70MPG.

Now I have dirt dirt cheap motoring when it’s just me or me and partner, and also the XC90 each time the family go out etc.

I think a lot of people driving these tank like vehicles don’t understand how cheap it is to buy and run a second car alongside, you will easily save a fortune and I wonder why more people don’t run 2 vehicles?
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2022, 08:45   #20
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooser View Post
I get 55 mpg from my D5 when nursing it at 60 mph on a motorway run.
Which vehicle is that D5 in. I would get nothing like that in my 90.

Are you going by the fuel computer as I do find it hard to believe the D5 would ever actually achieve that figure, or do you calculate it?

I would get in the order of 80MPG, maybe a little more in my city car, but the official fuel consumption for that is almost 70mpg combined cycle anyway.

55mpg from a d5 sounds unbelievable to be honest?
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote