Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Guess What? Air Con.

Views : 788

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 1st, 2003, 16:40   #1
minirosegrower

My '93 850 GLT 2.5 20v of which I am insanely proud has developed the usual 850 gripe. The a/c ceased to cool and when regassed this only improved matters for 3 weeks. So. Assuming this to be the evaporator fault most eloquently described by Simon Linton ("Hot & cold volvo's",p40,Volvo Driver, Spring 2003) is it possible that I can get "my aircon chap" (he wishes to remain nameless as he is v cheap & run off his feet already :-)) to degas the system so that I (a rank amateur) can disassemble half the the car and get to and replace the offending evaporator. Then, on reassembly I could get "my aircon chap" to regas the system and I should have inflicted only limited damage to my bank account. Feasible Yes or No?
Second could someone supply the details of where the alledgedly superior copper evaporator can be had.
Yours, MJR
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 08:26   #2
Kevin L

If you can do it, you'll save loads. Book time is aroud 6 - 7 hours, parts will be over £500 (evaporator is approx £420, accumulator is £50, and then a re-gass).

Everyone seems to say this job is impossible. I did mine is 8 hours, inc 1 hour kebab and chips break, and that included accumulator change, and 1st time I'd done this job.

It's not that bad. I even had time to take a few photos and write a few notes................