Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"Proper" Volvo Wheeltrims

Views : 495

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 2nd, 2013, 21:46   #1
gjd
Premier Member

Default "Proper" Volvo Wheeltrims

Hello

The Lorry is currently running on steel wheels and winter tyres. The Antilla alloys and Dunlops are tucked up in Clas Ohlsen bags, waiting for more pleasant weather.

The steel wheels (V70 OEM) didn't come with trims, so I went to a well known Auto Accessory shop and got a set of trims for a few quid. Naturally, they broke when I removed them! The plastic was hard and brittle, and didn't cope with removal (the rims shattered!).

Is it worth my trying to find some 15" Volvo trims (I usually go to Salvo for parts), or will they be as brittle as the After market ones?
gjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2013, 22:06   #2
Luxobarge
Premier Member

No, IMHO Volvo ones won't be brittle, but they are probably more likely to fall off and be lost.

I also have a car (not an Ovlov though) with brittle ones from probably the same high street car accessory emporium and while brittle, they have NEVER fallen off in over 10 years, to give them their due. Used for the same purpose as it happens, to cover steelies with winter tyres on!

Swings and roundabouts I reckon, personally I'd probably go for whatever solution is cheapest.
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 00:57   #3
S70 B5254T
☭Nick☭

Like most plastic goods, wheeltrims may become brittle after many years exposed to sunlight and other elements.

I bought a brand new set of genuine Volvo trims; dealer wanted £100 for them, but I bargained them down to £70 after telling them I could get them cheaper shipped from USA. See my sig-pic for design (Volvo don't supply any other style any more).
I had been looking for a good used set to replace the scuffed ones that came with the car, but prices for a good non-scuffed set on eBay are very high, so I figured I'd be best just buying a brand new set.

I've fitted and removed them a few times now to do the odd job on the car, and they are both secure and flexible - no problems with quality here!

1998 Volvo S70 CD 2.5T 20 valve (B5254T)
Community First Responder transport & Daily Driver
previously...1994 Volvo 854 SE 2.0 20 valve "L411XCC" &
1999 Volvo S40 2.0T SE "T283LTW"
S70 B5254T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 17:03   #4
Andy Northface
Where's that 18mm socket?

The wheeltrims (OE ) I had on my old 850 were of a much tougher and a lot more flexible plastic than the crap the car shops sell. I still cable tied them on though as the lugs on one of them were a bit weak. They can be very expensive on E Bay. I paid £15 for 1 to match the 3 on my heap when I bought it. Salvo sounds the best bet to me. Maybe put an ad on here,someone who has upgraded to alloys might have a set?
Andy Northface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 17:36   #5
gjd
Premier Member

Hello

Thank you for the replies.

I had Salvo in mind, though I will give Holden (Volvo) a call, as you never know with Volvo parts! The "National Chain of Auto Accessory Shops" trims looked smart enough, but the silver colour was sprayed on, and scratches (which seem inevitable) ruined the look. The edges simply snapped away when I pried the trims off ready for the summer wheel/tyre combo. There seems to be a saying in these parts - buy cheap, buy twice. The aftermarket trims cost £30.....

The steel wheels came from Salvo, and (like a fool) I forgot to ask about trims.
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 22:59   #6
gjd
Premier Member

Hello

Forgot to update!

I noticed this lot being mentioned somewhere on the forum:

http://www.norfolkvolvospares.co.uk/

so emailed them.

The Lorry now sports a (slightly battered) set of original Volvo trims.

The plastic is more pliant, and feels tougher, than the Car Accessory Shop versions. I've used cable ties, simply because I don't want to lose one!

They clearly were designed for the S/V70, as they suit the lines of the car more. They cost £20+post, so I am happy!
The Following User Says Thank You to gjd For This Useful Post: