Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'00 C70 ABS Pump motor gone - options?

Views : 933

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 31st, 2011, 16:43   #1
plinth

Default '00 C70 ABS Pump motor gone - options?

Hi, I've had the ABS light illuminated on my dash since I bought my '00 W-reg C70. I've had it diagnosed at a garage and have been told there's a fault with the ABS pump motor.

I've read about some people fixing ABS dash light issues by doing some soldering. I'm happy to do this sort of work on my own, but haven't been able to discern whether a pump motor would be solved in this way. Do I need to search for a new pump motor or should I start warming up my soldering iron?

Cheers
plinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2011, 22:55   #2
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinth View Post
Hi, I've had the ABS light illuminated on my dash since I bought my '00 W-reg C70. I've had it diagnosed at a garage and have been told there's a fault with the ABS pump motor.

I've read about some people fixing ABS dash light issues by doing some soldering. I'm happy to do this sort of work on my own, but haven't been able to discern whether a pump motor would be solved in this way. Do I need to search for a new pump motor or should I start warming up my soldering iron?

Cheers
what are the symptoms you are getting? if its the ABS working when stearing or applying the brakes your garage is trying to get one over on you mate.

Simple resolder and possibly new/ known good second hand abs sensors should sort this out
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2011, 09:12   #3
plinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrider311271 View Post
what are the symptoms you are getting?
Thanks for the reply - the symptoms are simply that the ABS light is permanently on, the brakes themselves seem to be fine. I'll look further into the soldering issue and maybe get a second opinion!
plinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2011, 10:53   #4
TurboZutek
Premier Member

A few things can go wrong with the 'motor', I'll list them in order of likelihood:

1. Dry joints on the controller PCB. If there's a dry joint on the motor connections on that board, the PCB cannot run the motor and flags a 'dead motor' code, which is a red herring: the motor is fine and dandy, it's the soldering on the board which is at fault.

Bottom line is that when the PCB has dry joints, you can't trust any of the diagnostic codes it produces and it sounds like your garage has simply read the codes and told you the first one that's came up.

2. Sometimes the insulation on the cable to the motor unit breaks down and makes for a bad connection / looses connection totally. This is easy to check, just eyeball the ABS motor and examine the wiring loom coming out of it. It's also possible to repair this loom and it's the work of a half hour for an auto-electrician.

3. The ABS fuse is blown or is making a dodgy connection. Seems simple, but it will generate exactly the fault you have!

4. Faulty ABS system relay that goes high resistance when drawing power. The pump comes on, draws too much current, the voltage drops and the system reports a motor fault, even though there really isn't one. Might be a job for an auto-sparky that one.

Best of luck!

Chris...
TurboZutek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abs, abs light, brakes, c70