Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Insurance/ Modification?

Views : 2561

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 11th, 2021, 15:44   #1
Chris152

Default Insurance/ Modification?

Hi All

My lad's 18 and has a 240 GLT. Earlier this year we replaced the rear suspension as it was sagging, and one side was self-levelling, the other standard shock. We decided it originally had Nivos with appropriate springs, but couldn't get them so swapped for new standard shocks, new springs and an anti-roll bar (standard setup on other 240s of the same year, all the right parts). We notified Adrian Flux and it was no more expensive to have added to the Insurance. All good.

Now he's looking for new insurance. Speaking to a rep from Flux, we were told it does count as a modification. If that's correct, he can't just go online and buy insurance from the usual search sites, as they don't seem to allow any mods and long complex conversations resulting in higher premiums, or no offer to insure, seem likely.

We've written to Flux twice asking for a written opinion (as opposed to some young chap on the phone) but received nothing.

In your experience, does what I've written constitute a modification for insurance purposes? Where is the line drawn on their (very particular) terms? We're looking to know what the industry calls a modification.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Chris
Chris152 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 15:56   #2
ITSv40
VOC Member

I think it depends on the individual insurer. I fitted a Volvo strut brace on the C70 and declared it to my insurers, but they were not interested and did not class it as a mod. When my son was 17 - several years ago - he bought a Ford Ka. It had some bolt on silk bodysuit and a push button on the dash to start the engine instead of turning the key, everything else was standard. Several insurers were all over it, saying it was modified and quoted exorbitant rates. He eventually got cover through Adrian flux, who again were not interested in the mods. In his and my case we made sure there was/is a note on the policy.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 15:56   #3
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris152 View Post
Hi All

My lad's 18 and has a 240 GLT. Earlier this year we replaced the rear suspension as it was sagging, and one side was self-levelling, the other standard shock. We decided it originally had Nivos with appropriate springs, but couldn't get them so swapped for new standard shocks, new springs and an anti-roll bar (standard setup on other 240s of the same year, all the right parts). We notified Adrian Flux and it was no more expensive to have added to the Insurance. All good.

Now he's looking for new insurance. Speaking to a rep from Flux, we were told it does count as a modification. If that's correct, he can't just go online and buy insurance from the usual search sites, as they don't seem to allow any mods and long complex conversations resulting in higher premiums, or no offer to insure, seem likely.

We've written to Flux twice asking for a written opinion (as opposed to some young chap on the phone) but received nothing.

In your experience, does what I've written constitute a modification for insurance purposes? Where is the line drawn on their (very particular) terms? We're looking to know what the industry calls a modification.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Chris

Not a Flux fan from Land Rover days, try Peter James, not as cheap but £30-40 isn't going to break the bank!
It's who I'm with, didn't like the recovery with AF.
Moomoo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 16:04   #4
kiloran

Try Lancaster Insurance, they take a very bespoke approach to the whole process and you can actually get to speak to a rep who knows about cars.

Ultimately it comes down to interpretation. A new insurer isn't going to know whether it originally came with Nivomats from the factory (unless it's listed as an option code on the product plate which I don't think it is) so unless you've slammed it 30mm lower its not modified. Same applies to alloy wheels - they can't tell whether it originally shipped with alloys or steels so if you're running Volvo wheels there's no issue. Where it gets slightly muddier is things like stainless exhausts (even if they're not a performance exhaust), towbars, and maybe even an uprated clutch/flywheel. I ran modded cars for years and whilst I always declared everything most insurers were just interested in (a) does it make it faster and (b) does it make it more nickable.
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 20:36   #5
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX
Trader

Hi.
unless the suspension is a direct replacement part for the existing components then we would normally class this as a modification. If you need any further confirmation please feel free to PM me your details I'd be happy to take a look at it for you.
Regards,
Dan.
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 22:28   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX View Post
Hi.
unless the suspension is a direct replacement part for the existing components then we would normally class this as a modification. If you need any further confirmation please feel free to PM me your details I'd be happy to take a look at it for you.
Regards,
Dan.
I'm late to the party but have been talking to Chris via PM and can confirm the parts he used were direct replacements for existing parts. Taking your words then, this ISN'T a modification?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2021, 04:16   #7
nemesisthewarlock
3.o

Lancaster Insurance would be my first choice too, they are very friendly, knowledgeable and good value...

just my tuppence worth
nemesisthewarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nemesisthewarlock For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2021, 05:05   #8
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Why would you tell them about that? The shocks and springs are obviously not a modification, and as for the crusty anti roll bar, nobody will ever check in an accident.

I couldn't imagine being that honest, else my insurance would be a lot higher.
Old Dec 12th, 2021, 19:16   #9
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX View Post
Hi.
Regards,
Dan.
But does that count when the suspension is a direct replacement for factory spec - but the specific car in question had different suspension which was a factory cost option (i.e. the Nivomats) ?

The key thing in my head is the replacement parts will not enhance the performance or use capabilities of the vehicle, they are only being fitted as identical components are not available (i.e. not an upgrade).

The risk level is not changed, in fact you would think your insurer would prefer you to have new shocks and springs rather than saggy old ones? And they don't indicate that the behavior of the owner would be otherwise typical of a 240 owner (like a sports body kit and spoilers or push start button might?).

Appreciate you can't answer that as it's down to each insurer - but if he did have a prang what is the liklihood of an engineer noticing new shocks and springs without "Volvo" branding and making an issue of it?

I had a similar issue last year - I run a Ford Ranger which is "XL" spec and normally comes on 17" alloys - I fitted winter tyres to those and bought some new "Wildtrack" spec alloys with new tyres (as they're cheap as chips because people mod them) for use in summer. After explaining to Direct Line I had two sets of Ford Ranger alloys for winter/summer tyres and one was from a the same platform but different year/trim level they were absolutely fine - they noted the policy to ensure I could get whatever set replaced in a claim. No impact on premium.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Dec 12th, 2021 at 19:21.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2021, 21:58   #10
kiloran

Materially and practically, there's no way for an insurer to know what was fitted to the car when it left the factory. As far as I can tell from looking at the product plate info in the online parts catalogue (https://weblisher.textalk.se/gcp/201...0&noConflict=1) there's no code on the plate which states whether it was originally fitted with Nivomats or standard springs.