Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

EGR Cleaner - Is there such a thing ?

Views : 1785

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 25th, 2021, 10:50   #11
Tatsfield
Premier Member

There is a growing moral issue with urban pollution which should not be overlooked merely to satisfy the personal interest of the vehicle owner. Recent research is showing an increase in mental health problems in areas with high NOx emissions and while there is the possibility that these places also have other factors common to them, it's a chilling thought that children exposed to long term pollution of this nature may end up as adults with mental health issues. It's no longer the easy moral decision to rip out a catalyser and replace it with a de-cat tube and not think about anything other than fooling the MoT inspector. And this moral complexion is going to drive the legal constraints so losing the EGR function is not going to be such an obvious solution to problems or for power increases.
Old Nov 25th, 2021, 14:24   #12
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
There is a growing moral issue with urban pollution which should not be overlooked merely to satisfy the personal interest of the vehicle owner. Recent research is showing an increase in mental health problems in areas with high NOx emissions and while there is the possibility that these places also have other factors common to them, it's a chilling thought that children exposed to long term pollution of this nature may end up as adults with mental health issues. It's no longer the easy moral decision to rip out a catalyser and replace it with a de-cat tube and not think about anything other than fooling the MoT inspector. And this moral complexion is going to drive the legal constraints so losing the EGR function is not going to be such an obvious solution to problems or for power increases.
FYI, and taking thread off track, my 06 5.9 Cummins engined vehicle has no egr from factory and no dpf. The nox is measured lower than my egr deactivated d5. The 6.7 emissions compliant engine has worse recorded nox than the ungagged 5.9.

Put the thread back on track. This is a request for technical help not ethics.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to monkeh For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 16:33   #13
Tatsfield
Premier Member

There is a difference on proffering technical help to allow someone to repair a broken vehicle and advice to remove a component which renders the vehicle illegal on the road and damaging to health. How your Cummins diesel behaves is not relevant to the needs of Volvo D5 owners and has no bearing on the guys technical needs. I'm merely saying that while it was once a common solution to EGR problems to throw out the unit altogether, the moral compass on this issue has changed and the legislation with it, regardless on how well an old Cummins engine might work.
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 16:54   #14
JJD1
I've Been Banned

Quote:
There is a difference on proffering technical help to allow someone to repair a broken vehicle and advice to remove a component which renders the vehicle illegal on the road and damaging to health. How your Cummins diesel behaves is not relevant to the needs of Volvo D5 owners and has no bearing on the guys technical needs. I'm merely saying that while it was once a common solution to EGR problems to throw out the unit altogether, the moral compass on this issue has changed and the legislation with it, regardless on how well an old Cummins engine might work.
How some even manage to function in life when so worried is amazing .I drove once on the M4 at 155mph .Bloody good fun . Bet i killed many a insect on the way .
JJD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 17:24   #15
belgian
Linje swart

Quote:
That's a fine political statement throwing children into the debate to justify the emission paranoia. Most people I know care about the environment and the well being of individuals. That's why we all pay a significant amount of money to afford a car that fullfills EURO6 control levels, but in the end get stuffed with an unreliable car that will cost an arm and a leg to keep it going, and with a reduced life time on top.

If manufacturers fail to deliver a car that is both fullfilling emission levels and some degree of reliability, one cannot blame the car owner to search for alternatives or tamper the system. Generosity and walking the line in such conditions has its limits.
belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 21:45   #16
ferg55

Please don't delete your EGR - it's there for a reason. Many of our towns and cities are measuring over the legal limit for NOX and other emissions, and many of us (including our children) have to live in them.
ferg55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ferg55 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2021, 17:33   #17
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Quote:
one cannot blame the car owner to search for alternatives or tamper the system.
"one" might not blame them, but the authorities will and the fines can be high. I think that putting the well being of a car and its driver's self interest above the emerging evidence of pollution damage to humans is a consideration that can be addressed without petrolhead reflex.

My point is that this growing realisation of the effects of pollution on populations, not "the planet", is now having an effect on the enforcement of anti pollution regulations and even if you don't give a damn about the health issues and sneer at moral considerations, you will find that removing anti-pollution system components from your car will meet increasing chances of being fined and the car failing the MoT.

I was just painting the picture as to why anti pollution regulations on cars are going to be more tightly enforced. Hence my saying: "And this moral complexion is going to drive the legal constraints so losing the EGR function is not going to be such an obvious solution to problems or for power increases." I wasn't asking anyone to like what I said but just to be aware that times are changing.
Old Nov 29th, 2021, 19:28   #18
JJD1
I've Been Banned

Quote:
"one" might not blame them, but the authorities will and the fines can be high. I think that putting the well being of a car and its driver's self interest above the emerging evidence of pollution damage to humans is a consideration that can be addressed without petrolhead reflex.

My point is that this growing realisation of the effects of pollution on populations, not "the planet", is now having an effect on the enforcement of anti pollution regulations and even if you don't give a damn about the health issues and sneer at moral considerations, you will find that removing anti-pollution system components from your car will meet increasing chances of being fined and the car failing the MoT.

I was just painting the picture as to why anti pollution regulations on cars are going to be more tightly enforced. Hence my saying: "And this moral complexion is going to drive the legal constraints so losing the EGR function is not going to be such an obvious solution to problems or for power increases." I wasn't asking anyone to like what I said but just to be aware that times are changing.
THis I fully agree with. Once EV sets in big time .The chances are most will be leased and no one will mod them . And "locking" the system so mods could be made might defeat the average man if the security is really good. Right now If i was the King.... All these "pocorn " tuning maps and loud exhausts would be banned and the penalty would be death . Or Insurance companies have pressure put on them to remove coverage for any mods . where is it in Europe where you cannot make any none OEM changes to a car????
JJD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2021, 20:26   #19
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Germany
Old Dec 1st, 2021, 16:35   #20
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJD1 View Post
THis I fully agree with. Once EV sets in big time .The chances are most will be leased and no one will mod them . And "locking" the system so mods could be made might defeat the average man if the security is really good. Right now If i was the King.... All these "pocorn " tuning maps and loud exhausts would be banned and the penalty would be death . Or Insurance companies have pressure put on them to remove coverage for any mods . where is it in Europe where you cannot make any none OEM changes to a car????
In this very thread, you’ve said that you’ve deleted an EGR yourself/used a delete kit.

So you’d ban loud exhausts & tuning maps if you were “King”. What about EGR deletes?

Last edited by Kev0607; Dec 1st, 2021 at 16:38.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote