Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sealed for life gearbox

Views : 2951

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 21st, 2021, 20:38   #1
Org

Default Sealed for life gearbox

Well decided to do a gearbox oil change on my S80 geartronic box yesterday, for anybody thinking about it or in two minds as to whether you should do it my advice would be " DO IT " and it is easier than I thought it would be. First off the difference in gearbox performance and shifts is without a doubt worth it, my shifts weren't to bad but I was getting a few jolts and harsh shifts but now it's so smooth.
The process was easy, get the car nice and warm , Jack it up so it's level drop the under tray remove the airbox but leave the top half connected but loosen the jubilee clamp and twist it through 180 degrees so you can still run the car later without any fault codes appearing, then check you can remove the fill plug with a torx T50 then get a nice big 5 litre measuring jug and a torx socket, crawl under the car and remove the small torx screw inside the drain plug and get ready to catch the oil about to drain from the gearbox, it will be about 1 litre, then grab a 17mm Allen key socket and remove the drain plug and catch the remainder of the oil . I drained 3.2 litres from the gearbox, I know others have had about 3.5 litres so I knew I was in the ball park with this. Next replace the drain plug with a new sealing washer and torque it up to 40NM after its been left to drain for about 20 minutes, then insert the small torx level screw again with a new sealing o-ring but only finger tight for now, next back up top, remove the fill plug and grab a funnel that fits the fill hole and replace the oil you have drained with the same quantity of nice fresh stuff, I added 3.5 litres as I knew this would be OK as I could drain any excess later. Now replace the fill plug finger tight for the time being then start the car, let it run for a minute or two then select each gear for around 5-10 seconds, I did this 3 or 4 times before selecting Park again and then leaving the car to idle and warm the oil this took about 25 minutes, this is the time to get yourself a cuppa as it takes a while, those of you who are fortunate enough to have Vida can monitor your gearbox oil temperature I used a laser type thermometer and kept removing the fill plug and taking the temperature internally and then checking it externally once it gets up to about 52 to 53 degrees C it's time to get under the car with it still running and remove the small torx level screw and get ready to catch any fluid , I caught about 50ml so the level was good. At this point insert the small torx and tighten it to 8NM, back up top replace the fill plug and torque it up to 35NM. Put everything back together and your done, I did this twice as the oil that came out was so black. These gearboxes are supposed to be sealed for life according to Volvo and only requiring a service if you do a lot of towing, I would suggest an oil change at the same time as an engine oil change as its so easy.
Here's what I found after the first drain and the second drain needless to say I will be doing another 2 changes in the not to distant future probably after about 1500 to 2000 miles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20211121_122511.jpg (133.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20211121_122516.jpg (148.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20211121_122552.jpg (117.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20211121_154831.jpg (172.7 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by Org; Nov 21st, 2021 at 20:42.
Org is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Org For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2021, 06:40   #2
MCFastybloke

I had mine done at Clive brook Volvo Huddersfield. For those like me who found this a bit daunting it was about £200
MCFastybloke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MCFastybloke For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2021, 10:25   #3
Oak

Can anyone recommend anyone near Bristol that could offer this flush/replace service? Thanks all
Old Nov 22nd, 2021, 11:52   #4
JonnyA

@Oak I used Gloucester Rd gearboxes (GRGB.org.uk) a few years back for a flush on my previous XC70.
an oil change on my tranmission is on my must get done list too.
ex - 1999 V40 2.0SE
ex - 1988 740 GL estate, before that a 340 GL
JonnyA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JonnyA For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2021, 13:04   #5
darroch

Be careful on flush and refill at auto places. A lot of them just do 2 drain and fills, which they then call a "transmission service" Easy money for them.
So, make sure you know what you are paying for and getting
darroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2021, 13:59   #6
Arnold Layne

VolvoSweden has done a good video guide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAb9p8Wph-M
Old Nov 22nd, 2021, 14:23   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Org View Post
Well decided to do a gearbox oil change on my S80 geartronic box yesterday, for anybody thinking about it or in two minds as to whether you should do it my advice would be " DO IT " and it is easier than I thought it would be. First off the difference in gearbox performance and shifts is without a doubt worth it, my shifts weren't to bad but I was getting a few jolts and harsh shifts but now it's so smooth.
The process was easy, get the car nice and warm , Jack it up so it's level drop the under tray remove the airbox but leave the top half connected but loosen the jubilee clamp and twist it through 180 degrees so you can still run the car later without any fault codes appearing, then check you can remove the fill plug with a torx T50 then get a nice big 5 litre measuring jug and a torx socket, crawl under the car and remove the small torx screw inside the drain plug and get ready to catch the oil about to drain from the gearbox, it will be about 1 litre, then grab a 17mm Allen key socket and remove the drain plug and catch the remainder of the oil . I drained 3.2 litres from the gearbox, I know others have had about 3.5 litres so I knew I was in the ball park with this. Next replace the drain plug with a new sealing washer and torque it up to 40NM after its been left to drain for about 20 minutes, then insert the small torx level screw again with a new sealing o-ring but only finger tight for now, next back up top, remove the fill plug and grab a funnel that fits the fill hole and replace the oil you have drained with the same quantity of nice fresh stuff, I added 3.5 litres as I knew this would be OK as I could drain any excess later. Now replace the fill plug finger tight for the time being then start the car, let it run for a minute or two then select each gear for around 5-10 seconds, I did this 3 or 4 times before selecting Park again and then leaving the car to idle and warm the oil this took about 25 minutes, this is the time to get yourself a cuppa as it takes a while, those of you who are fortunate enough to have Vida can monitor your gearbox oil temperature I used a laser type thermometer and kept removing the fill plug and taking the temperature internally and then checking it externally once it gets up to about 52 to 53 degrees C it's time to get under the car with it still running and remove the small torx level screw and get ready to catch any fluid , I caught about 50ml so the level was good. At this point insert the small torx and tighten it to 8NM, back up top replace the fill plug and torque it up to 35NM. Put everything back together and your done, I did this twice as the oil that came out was so black. These gearboxes are supposed to be sealed for life according to Volvo and only requiring a service if you do a lot of towing, I would suggest an oil change at the same time as an engine oil change as its so easy.
Here's what I found after the first drain and the second drain needless to say I will be doing another 2 changes in the not to distant future probably after about 1500 to 2000 miles.
No , Volvo uk have never said that , or documented it anywhere , ... going all the way back to the BW35 in the late 60's up to the modern 8 speed.
It is another internet myth

any volvo autobox would benefit from an oil change if it's done over 90.000 miles or so . Most are serviced on the cheap by then so don't get done .
Old Nov 22nd, 2021, 15:45   #8
Rocinante
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
No , Volvo uk have never said that , or documented it anywhere , ... going all the way back to the BW35 in the late 60's up to the modern 8 speed.
It is another internet myth

any volvo autobox would benefit from an oil change if it's done over 90.000 miles or so . Most are serviced on the cheap by then so don't get done .
Clan, we're not rounding this Bhoy again are we ?

As soon as I saw the term "sealed for life" I knew exactly what you would post, don't know how many times I've seen this little exchange. To say it's an internet myth, is a myth you are single-handedly trying to create.

Usual Routine is as follows:
  • Someone - "gearboxes are 'Sealed for life' "
  • Clan - That's not the Volvo Schedule, they should be serviced.
  • Various People - Well that's what numerous dealers have told me, and the handbook doesn't say it needs servicing unless you're towing or it's a taxi. I've even had trouble getting a dealer to do it.
  • Clan - Well the Sales advisors are rubbish.

Typical exchange example
https://volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=314594

Now I'm not trying to say don't change the oil, mechanical sympathy would lead you to change the oil. I'm not even saying it's not the official Volvo policy, but I haven't seen what the official mileage is(for non arduous conditions).
However, even if there is official service intervals (which I would love to see), the fact that there are service agents, (most people's official contact with Volvo) telling people this makes it a Volvo problem and not an internet myth.

And the amount of times I've seen this makes me think it's not as isolated as you would like to think.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocinante For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2021, 16:22   #9
JonnyA

just to go back to my post re GRGB - at the time they used a machine (& presumably still have it) that hooked up to the gearbox and circulated the fluid out/in .....
ex - 1999 V40 2.0SE
ex - 1988 740 GL estate, before that a 340 GL
JonnyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2021, 17:57   #10
Org

All I was trying to do was bring people's attention to looking after there vehicles, I was led to believe by a Volvo dealer that they were sealed for life, the oil I drained from my Volvo gearbox is far worse to look at than I've seen before from other auto boxes.
If you choose not to maintain your vehicle or follow manufacturers guidance for servicing its up to you, I personally choose to change my vehicles fluids before manufacturers recommended intervals as I think that extended service periods are ridiculous.
Look at the oil I drained and make your own decisions, I have spent a lot of money on my car since I bought it recently getting spending a small amount on gearbox oil and the time to change it is a no brainer.

Last edited by Org; Nov 22nd, 2021 at 18:01.
Org is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Org For This Useful Post: