Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Poweflex Rear Trailing Arm Bushes

Views : 552

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 15th, 2021, 07:16   #1
Org

Default Poweflex Rear Trailing Arm Bushes

I now need to replace the rear trailing arm bushes on my 2011 S80 and have been looking at a couple of options first option is the Powerflex bushes, has anybody used them and what are the results and your thoughts, how easy are they to fit compared to the original type, as this is my second option either to use genuine bushes or Lemforder any thoughts please .
Org is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 08:18   #2
JJD1
I've Been Banned

Changed a few bushes on my old D5 . On my current 2.4 Petrol There are some also . I think its worth doing some due to the speed they wear out ! But let no one tell you they dont alter the comfort of the car at times etc . They do ! So going from a worn out bush to a good original spec is going to be a big difference anyway .Its down to you to decide if you want the extra life time that comes with a slightly harsher ride (depending on which bushes etc etc etc )
JJD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2021, 20:49   #3
ferg55

Bear in mind Org, your Executive will have softer bushes than standard S80's, so if you want to maintain that comfort level you'll need the correct Volvo parts.
ferg55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2021, 21:00   #4
Chrispynuts

Hi have fitted the powerflex bushes to my xc60, the powerflex bushes can be fitted without removing the suspension arm by hand but you need strong fingers to press the parts together also they are about three to four times more expensive but good
Chrispynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 09:44   #5
Org

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg55 View Post
Bear in mind Org, your Executive will have softer bushes than standard S80's, so if you want to maintain that comfort level you'll need the correct Volvo parts.
I wondered about that but find no difference in part numbers according to the dealer so it looks like the bushes are the same throughout the model range the biggest impact on ride comfort is the wheel and tyre package, as it runs on 245 40 18s the ride comfort is somewhat hard, I tried some 17s from a neighbour and found a remarkable difference in comfort, I would imagine if it were on 16s the comfort would be incredible but at the compromise of looks and that's if they fitted over the brakes as the 17s were slightly close and would need some 5mm spacers to be comfortable
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 09:52   #6
Org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispynuts View Post
Hi have fitted the powerflex bushes to my xc60, the powerflex bushes can be fitted without removing the suspension arm by hand but you need strong fingers to press the parts together also they are about three to four times more expensive but good
Powerflex are selling the bushes for £155 at the moment and Volvo want around £120 for the pair of bushes then there is the cost of the tool which I can get for around £100 from ebay , I have a discount code for GSF and the bushes work out around £50 for the pair for Lemforder, and I believe they are the same quality as the original. How do you find the ride comfort with the Powerflex as I already have a firm riding car due to the tyre and wheel package
Old Nov 23rd, 2021, 18:48   #7
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Org View Post
I wondered about that but find no difference in part numbers according to the dealer so it looks like the bushes are the same throughout the model range the biggest impact on ride comfort is the wheel and tyre package, as it runs on 245 40 18s the ride comfort is somewhat hard, I tried some 17s from a neighbour and found a remarkable difference in comfort, I would imagine if it were on 16s the comfort would be incredible but at the compromise of looks and that's if they fitted over the brakes as the 17s were slightly close and would need some 5mm spacers to be comfortable
No spacers required & providing you buy original Volvo alloys that were an original option for your car, then they should fit straight on. I changed from 18’s to 17’s & they fit fine.

An 18” wheel has a 55mm offset & 16” is 50mm (17” is also 50mm), so there’s very little in the difference in that sense. Obviously, you’d need new tyres & a set of 16” or 17” alloys!
Old Nov 30th, 2021, 11:54   #8
Org

I decided to go with the Lemforder bushes, so set about finding a garage to do the job. I found a garage able to do the job due to the special tool needed to press the original type of bush into the trailing arm, booked the car in, but when they went to do the job the bushes were OK, I had been told previously buy a different garage ( that didn't have the correct tool) that they showed signs of failing, so they have been left for the time being, good result for now more beer tokens for xmas

Last edited by Org; Nov 30th, 2021 at 11:56.
Old Nov 30th, 2021, 21:36   #9
ferg55

an interesting article on the subject:

http://casestudies.atlanticmotorcar....orrect-repair/
ferg55 is offline   Reply With Quote