Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Egr valve error

Views : 3144

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 16th, 2021, 21:11   #11
nskeates

I get it pending then after a day engine light comes on and code stored.
Presume it must move as get boost most of the time !
nskeates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2021, 21:59   #12
Ian21401
Premier Member

Not the same car, but my daughter’s previous car was a 2007my, V50 D5 2.4 diesel. At mileage 59,800 it developed a fault causing it to intermittently drop into limp mode then back to normal again together with the warning “Engine System Service Required”. This gradually became worse and more frequent and the limp mode lasted longer. The EGR valve was suspect so a local indi. removed and cleaned the EGR valve and associated pipework. It wasn’t particularly dirty. The fault and the warning persisted. Further checks by the indi. found that the EGR valve was not opening and closing as it should but they could open and close it using their code reader device. The next suspect was the device attached to the EGR valve. ( I now know that that device is known as a “Valve Position Sensor ) A replacement of said device was ordered from our local dealership who were able to supply but did comment that they had never ever been requested to supply said device. (Part no. V31216573. Cost £150.00 ex VAT. ). The part was duly fitted and the problem resolved. I was later advised on this forum that that device incorporates a stepper motor which operates the valve and which is activated by the engine management system.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2021, 22:22   #13
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nskeates View Post
I get it pending then after a day engine light comes on and code stored.
Presume it must move as get boost most of the time !
It probably is opening, but might be sticking as it opens.
Old Aug 18th, 2021, 11:35   #14
nskeates

Had another good clean of the egr valve from both sides. Got out alot of black stuff from.the left hand side. Cleared all the codes. All cleared but as soon as I rev the engine while stationery the pending error code appears P042E. Just wondering why this is pending straight away after clearing codes. Car is still not performing.
Thanks
Old Aug 18th, 2021, 12:38   #15
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Had another good clean of the egr valve from both sides. Got out alot of black stuff from.the left hand side. Cleared all the codes. All cleared but as soon as I rev the engine while stationery the pending error code appears P042E. Just wondering why this is pending straight away after clearing codes. Car is still not performing.
Thanks
Did you check if the flap inside the EGR is moving properly, as in its totally free to move & doesn’t require you putting pressure on it?

I suspect the issue is with the flap. You may need a new EGR worst case scenario… sometimes cleaning alone doesn’t always work.

You need to take the EGR off again to have a proper look at the flap inside it. If its jammed, then you may need to let the whole thing sit in some brake cleaner overnight in a bucket. That might free it up, but its not guaranteed.

Last edited by Kev0607; Aug 18th, 2021 at 12:44.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2021, 12:57   #16
nskeates

Thanks for the reply. You speak about the flap ? I have seen a piston in the egr valve and no flap !! Sorry to sound stupid. Is it before piston or after in relation to the throttle body.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210818-115102_eBay.jpg (51.6 KB, 23 views)
Old Aug 18th, 2021, 13:01   #17
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. You speak about the flap ? I have seen a piston in the egr valve and no flap !! Sorry to sound stupid. Is it before piston or after in relation to the throttle body.

Thanks
To get to that part you’ve taken a photo of, didn’t you have to remove another part with a flap inside it? The flap part is the throttle body.

Maybe yours is different being a newer D5.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Watch this video. Ignore the bit about the wiring harness.

I imagine the process on yours to get to the EGR is a similar process.

The EGR is the part with a piston in it (the part you took a photo of).

Last edited by Kev0607; Aug 18th, 2021 at 13:11.
Old Aug 18th, 2021, 13:13   #18
nskeates

Yes I did need to remove a small housing with a flap, 4 bolts. The flap in this housing is always in the open position and quite hard to move by hand. So should I be able to move the piston pretty easily by hand ?

Thanks
Old Aug 18th, 2021, 16:24   #19
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Yes I did need to remove a small housing with a flap, 4 bolts. The flap in this housing is always in the open position and quite hard to move by hand. So should I be able to move the piston pretty easily by hand ?
You'd be better investing in Vida which can give you live position data and remotely activate various engine components to test their range of operation. Example here

Using generic readers with limited functionality is a bit like changing a wheel using just a spanner. It may be possible but why make things harder than they need to be?
Old Aug 18th, 2021, 19:13   #20
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:

Thanks
The part you took off with the flap is the throttle body (it has a disc style flap inside it). That should move easily... it shouldn't be gritty or stuck.

The part you took a photo of with a piston inside it is the EGR valve.

Don't confuse the two parts. The flap is part of the throttle body, but the piston (in your photo you uploaded) is the EGR.

As cheshired5 correctly said above, VIDA is something you should invest in (cheshired5 has a YouTube channel... that link above is one of his videos). As you can see in that video, you can activate functions by the click of a button. Basic code readers like the one you're using are exactly that, just basic. Its not really much use on a Volvo. If you plan on doing any more repairs on your car, looking for parts, parts diagrams, diagnostics... you need VIDA. A basic reader is effectively useless because of their limited uses on these cars.

Just for the record, cheshired5 sells VIDA. Send him a PM for more information.

Last edited by Kev0607; Aug 18th, 2021 at 19:18.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post: