Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

440 gs turbo auto

Views : 1638

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 23rd, 2020, 17:39   #1
Ad26

Default 440 gs turbo auto

I've been to look at a 440 GS Turbo Auto 1994
it has a few thing that the owner has pointed out to me

1: the odometer/milemeter has stopped working on and off

2: cambelt Was done 3 year ago is it due now or just for peace of mind would you just do it along with water pump?

3: spare how regular available are they?

4:how much would you pay? it's been garaged all its life and done 50.000.and very clean no rust arches or any where I could see.

5:do they immobisler pay up or are they something that can be removed if needs be?
Ad26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2020, 21:53   #2
jason11

Default Gs Turbo

The odometer is probably just the usual broken cogs which is a relatively easy fix, you should change the cam belt as a matter of course and if there is no rust on it this is a real bonus. I’ve never had immobiliser problems in 15 years of driving 400s . You can get most bits off eBay or scrapped motors but they are becoming quite a rare and individualist choice but very reliable if looked after. If it’s as good as you say then you could pay up to a grand for it. If you don’t want it let me know.
jason11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jason11 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2020, 11:36   #3
dcw
VOC Member

I'd echo everything Jason has said above.

A rust-free 400 series is a rare find, so if that is truly the case that would make me go for it even if it is not perfect in all other aspects.

Cog change in speedo is easy - obtainable through ebay and a case of being methodical.

Spares are dwindling but still plenty left on the continent - obviously access/prices etc may all be about to change but lots of these cars seem to have ended up being broken in Latvia and Lithuania and spares from there still seem quite plentiful.

Immobilisers were known for being temperamental and can only be armed/disarmed by the fob. However the immobiliser can be by-passed - if you were to need help on that ask me (among others, I have been there done that so can guide you through).

My other suggestion would be to join the 480 Europe forum - obviously our main focus over there is the 480 but many things are the same across all 400s. And we welcome the others of the family - I have two 480s but also a project 440 at the moment, and as well as on here I have a thread on there about my 440.

And they're good little cars, very underrated in their time!

Good luck!

David
1994 480 GT and 2007 V50 SE Sport
dcw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dcw For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 26th, 2020, 12:32   #4
Ad26

Hello thank you, for all the helpful advise.
I can only wait until lockdown is over. But once it is I need to back and have a through look again. I know it sound like I’m over the top but I’d rather check and check to make sure I’m not buy a lemon or something that will cause me issues. Does any one know if the GS come with sunroof or not I can remember if it had one or not?

Has anyone had a auto before ? Any issues? was they a ZF box?

I’ll get signed up to 480 Europe club. Thank you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ad26 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 26th, 2020, 19:58   #5
dcw
VOC Member

I'll check the brochures for you, but I think all 440 & 460 models had a sunroof towards the end. Seem to recall the brochures all noted that it could be deleted for a commensurate reduction in price. So unless this car's original owner specified they didn't want it, there should be a sunroof...

David
Old Dec 28th, 2020, 20:04   #6
dcw
VOC Member

Having checked the brochure for the 440/460 LE & GS (the two special editions that came out together) it appears that the petrol-engined GS had air conditioning and so no sunroof (unless specified as an option). The diesel-engined GS, on the other hand, had no air-con but did have a sunroof...

Sorry if I caused confusion before, but hopefully this helps clarify things?

I attach a photo of the relevant brochure page, not a good one but taken on my desk just now, hence the shadows!!

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 440 GS VOCF.jpg (82.7 KB, 19 views)
Old Dec 29th, 2020, 12:23   #7
Ad26

Thank you DCW.

That’s okay. I still can go to see the car due to lockdown. I plan to go as soon as it’s over. I though all late 440 had ABS as standard but it a option extra...

I couldn’t see that it doesn’t show the turbo option as well could it be they only did them early on?

Sorry to badger everyone with more questions.

Thank again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ad26 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 29th, 2020, 18:54   #8
dcw
VOC Member

Towards the end of 440/460 production the specs can get a bit hard to follow. It coincided with the period when Volvo were moving away from having a range of about half a dozen models (S, SE, Si, GLT, CD etc etc) to the "option package" approach, where you added a particular pack and any further options you fancied to just one or two specific model cars.

The 1.7 turbo was discontinued with the end of 480 production, which was a good year to 18 months before 440/460 came to an end. So if you have managed to find a GS turbo my guess is you have luckily stumbled upon one of the last 440s with that engine!

Usually the turbo came with ABS as standard - but as you say the GS brochure specifies it is an optional extra but at a special reduced price (and the point of that was...??).

It's quite likely that until you see it "in the metal" it will be impossible to be certain exactly what its specification is.

Good luck anyway - I hope it lives up to expectations when you do finally get to see it!

David
Old Mar 30th, 2021, 00:10   #9
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

It didn't happen to be this one, did it??

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1996-Volv...YAAOSwwQFgW3NB
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
440 turbo gs