Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My 2010 V70 R-design progress thread

Views : 11156

Replies : 89

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 1st, 2021, 12:14   #61
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Not that I've tried it on car components but you can buy oven cleaner that cleans carbonised oven parts by putting them in a supplied plastic bag, adding the chemical and leaving it soak for hours. Take it out, rinse in water and throw the bag and waste chemical away. Works a treat on very very carbonised oven parts and you don't run all the risks that you do with caustic sprays or cloths etc.
Old Feb 1st, 2021, 19:18   #62
reggit
Premier Member

Most of the EGR crud flaked off with the aid of some carb cleaner. Wond say it’s sparking, but not bad.

Just thought I’d add this picture off everything I had to take off the car to get to the thermostat assembly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ED6DB85B-A0DC-4C7B-BCB5-F45BA626D3B7.jpg (103.5 KB, 66 views)
Old Feb 5th, 2021, 19:50   #63
reggit
Premier Member

All back together and running. I’d estimate the job took me close on 9 hours, but the time was split over several days.

Engine temperature is stabilising at high 90’s Celsius now, it was peaking at 70 before changing the ‘stat. Hopefully the economy will improve.

Got a low coolant warning on the test drive, but suspect that’s just minor air locks clearing in the system. There’s no signs of leaks, that’s the main thing!

When I looked at the old stat, it was closed whereas I expected it to be jammed open. On boiling it in a pan (missus was out) it opened as expected. However I poured water into it when cold and the seal didn’t hold water back, so it looks like the seal failed rather than the mechanical opening and closing.

Last edited by reggit; Feb 5th, 2021 at 19:56.
reggit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reggit For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2021, 20:01   #64
Olaf Els

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggit View Post
All back together and running. I’d estimate the job took me close on 9 hours, but the time was split over several days.

Engine temperature is stabilising at high 90’s Celsius now, it was peaking at 70 before changing the ‘stat. Hopefully the economy will improve.
Thanks for the info. I will check the temperature on mine next time I take it out, as I am getting about the same mpg as you from the same D5244T10 engine.

If you did it again, would it be an easier job? Are then any tips that you could pass on? Photos?
Old Feb 5th, 2021, 20:19   #65
reggit
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaf Els View Post
Thanks for the info. I will check the temperature on mine next time I take it out, as I am getting about the same mpg as you from the same D5244T10 engine.

If you did it again, would it be an easier job? Are then any tips that you could pass on? Photos?
The pictures I have that aren’t on the thread don’t really show much useful.

If you have Vida, the instructions are accurate although it doesn’t mention that you need to remove the plastic under the windscreen and the bulkhead behind the engine, it bolts on. Took me a while to work that out.

I couldn’t get the EGR valve to disengage from one of the thermostat housing pipes, it’s just a push fit but wouldn’t shift. I ended up cutting the pipe with a small dremel and dealing with the pipe on the bench.

I estimate I’d be able to to the job 2-3 hours quicker having done it once and knowing what has to come off.
Old Feb 5th, 2021, 20:22   #66
Olaf Els

Quote:
The pictures I have that aren’t on the thread don’t really show much useful.

If you have Vida, the instructions are accurate although you need to remove the plastic under the windscreen and the bulkhead behind the engine, it bolts on. Took me a while to work that out.

I couldn’t get the EGR valve to disengage from one of the thermostat housing pipes, it’s just a push fit but wouldn’t shift. I ended up cutting the pipe with a small dremel and dealing with the pipe on the bench.

I estimate I’d be able to to the job 2-3 hours quicker having done it once and knowing what has to come off.
Thank you. That's helpful.

It will be good to know if you see a reduction in fuel consumption in due course.
Old Feb 5th, 2021, 20:37   #67
john493
Spannering since birth

Great work Reggit !
(GS Addict)
john493 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john493 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 14:38   #68
reggit
Premier Member

Quote:

Got a low coolant warning on the test drive, but suspect that’s just minor air locks clearing in the system. There’s no signs of leaks, that’s the main thing!
Just for completeness, I had a heater hose that hadn’t clipped home properly and had come adrift, that explained the low coolant warning 😂

Fixed and given the car a good run, temperature according to the OBD dongle is stable between 89-91 degrees, guessing it’s a 90 degree stat. Other than losing £20 of coolant and getting soaked today, I’m happy.
Old Nov 29th, 2021, 14:56   #69
Accelebrate

Thank you for sharing those photos and providing some tips. I've got to tackle the same job on my D5244T10 and you seem to be the only brave soul who's documented it!
Accelebrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2021, 18:39   #70
sole27

That sounds like a right nasty job , it will be just my look that mine will need doing ,mine is a 215bhp and a year younger but I guess it will be the same.
Not really enjoying Volvo ownership at the moment just bought the car about a week ago ,broke down on the way home with a faulty battery , DPF was blocked and had to be cleaned , had a throttle body fault, needs new timing belt + aux belt and tensioner, just found out the windscreen leaks and now the radio cuts out.
sole27 is offline   Reply With Quote