Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2014 XC60 D4 v D5 Fuel Economy

Views : 2754

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 17:56   #11
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
AWD might help to get you moving but does not help with steering or braking. You're better off in a FWD with winter tyres than in an AWD with regular tyres.
I have AWD and cross climates so best of both worlds.

I previously ran a Vauxhall Zamora with separate Avon tyres on them and you are correct that it drove as well as my XC90.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 20:29   #12
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Although AWD does not in and of itself assist with steering and braking, cars that are thus equipped more often than not have much better stability programs to manage the cars bulk in the event of a near rollover scenario. These system isially contribute to more effective snd stable braking and stabilty in the snow.

I come from a country where winter driving is a bit more exciting than here, and have done cold weather testing in Scandinavia. Like for like for like with tyres I'd take awd, or even better lockabke 4wd where the snow can be measured in feet, every single time.
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 22:04   #13
Thorium

I had a 2015 XC60 D4 Auto FWD for about three years and covered around 60k miles.

Torque steer was a problem for me (might have been exacerbated by it being an R Design) and MPG was also fairly average - I routinely got around 40mpg, so not as good as I'd hoped. Also be aware that some early D4 VEA suffer with 'relatively' high oil consumption, mine was fine, but some owners have issues.

I'm now back driving an AWD, and far prefer it over the FWD, but each to their own. If you do find an XC60 you like, be sure to give it a decent test drive.
Thorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2021, 09:18   #14
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorium View Post
I had a 2015 XC60 D4 Auto FWD for about three years and covered around 60k miles.

Torque steer was a problem for me (might have been exacerbated by it being an R Design) and MPG was also fairly average - I routinely got around 40mpg, so not as good as I'd hoped. Also be aware that some early D4 VEA suffer with 'relatively' high oil consumption, mine was fine, but some owners have issues.

I'm now back driving an AWD, and far prefer it over the FWD, but each to their own. If you do find an XC60 you like, be sure to give it a decent test drive.
Ah yes - the torque steer - I remember that. It wasn't too bad at first but when the factory ContiEcoContacts started to wear, it got worse. I rotated the tyres and that improved it but it got worse again. When the all 4 tyres were changed at 43k with Pirelli Scorpion - it was much better but still there especially on loose surfaces. It's likely to be worse on R-Design cars with bigger wheels, mine was an SE LUX. It wasn't a big problem but it was there alright.

Torque steer simply isn't an issue on the AWD cars.

Been thinking about it - the 2WD cars only really made sense when :

a) a new company car and low CO2's was essential for BIK tax - hence most 2WD's are manual (and this was the case for me) an AWD car would have been a hundred quid a month more in tax maybe?

b) a new car and someone wants a SUV style for mobility etc. but never leaves suburbia and hence the 2WD cars are cheaper.

But second hand in private ownership, the 2WD cars won't be as attractive as AWD versions (in my humble opinion, having had both...)
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Dec 4th, 2021 at 09:23.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2021, 17:51   #15
TheCyclist

Wow, thanks for all of the replies, I have had a V60 D4 VEA engine and also a V70 with the 2.4 D5 twin turbo engine. The D5 was smoother but ultimately I am after fuel economy over residual values as I will be doing a fairly high mileage in it. Which ever way i go it will be more economical the my V70R
Previous - 2017 V60 D4 R-Design Lux Nav
Previous - 2013 V70 D5 Se Lux
TheCyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2021, 11:21   #16
TheCyclist

Another little side question, how much firmer is the R Design over the Se Lux? Bearing in mind I am currently using my V70R with 4C suspension as my daily
Previous - 2017 V60 D4 R-Design Lux Nav
Previous - 2013 V70 D5 Se Lux
TheCyclist is offline   Reply With Quote