Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oxygen Sensor - Code P-0130

Views : 512

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 10th, 2021, 22:49   #1
Tom Sawyer

Default Oxygen Sensor - Code P-0130

Howdy -

re: 2001 S-40, 150k miles on the clock

If I drive slow, short trips to the store, etc. I frequently get the 130 code.
It never happens when I consistently drive over 40 mph.

My OBD reader Live Data will also show:
Fuel Sys 1 OL-Fault

Internet search says:
OL = Open loop. When you start the car till it warms up it runs in the Open loop mode. Meaning it will not monitor the O2 sensors till the car engine warms up enough to get into Closed loop mode (i.e. monitor the air/fuel ratio based on the O2 sensor readings) It could be your OL = Open loop. When you start the car till it warms up it runs in the Open loop mode. Meaning it will not monitor the O2 sensors till the car engine warms up enough to get into Closed loop mode (i.e. monitor the air/fuel ratio based on the O2 sensor readings) It could be your engine coolant sensor is getting bad.

Other than: engine coolant sensor
any other suggestions ?

Thanks in advance,

Tom
Old Nov 11th, 2021, 15:20   #2
volvo again
Master Member

Some O2 sensors have a heating element, maybe yours need replacing?
This would be my first instinct, as code PO130 relates to O2 sensor

Last edited by volvo again; Nov 11th, 2021 at 15:24.
volvo again is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvo again For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2022, 22:39   #3
Tom Sawyer

Hey volvo again,

I just had the battery cables changed out due to car shutting off. Need to take a break from repairs for a while. Hope all is well.

Tom
Old Jan 17th, 2022, 05:14   #4
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
If I drive slow, short trips to the store, etc. I frequently get the 130 code.
It never happens when I consistently drive over 40 mph.
I dunno if it helps you, but I'll tell you about my experience which I hope sounds relevant.

The lambda light kept coming on (I don't own a code reader), but I noticed it only came on if it idled for a few minutes. If I got in it, started and drove straight away at motorway speeds the lambda light stayed off.

Turned out to be the throttle position sensor. From memory it wasnt expensive, so might be worth a punt. Worse comes to worst, you'll have a spare TPS lol.

(my personal theory is the carbon track in the sensor gets worn from sitting in certain positions for years on end and so eventually passes no current (open circuit). When this happens, the CPU relies on other data from other sensors to take a "best guess" at what the throttle is doing. But this is mere speculation on my part.)
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 22:48   #5
Tom Sawyer

Hey Canis –

Thanks for posting. I only own a code reader cause my car has been like Christmas every week for 5+ years – bright lights popping up for various reasons. 21 year old car, stuff happens.

I live in the USA – North Carolina. Fortunately, the state says cars 20+ years are not tested for environmental car issues like O2, Catalytic Converter, etc. So – I can just watch the check engine light turn on and give it a raspberry. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowing_a_raspberry

Then when I get home, pull the code reader out of the glove box and clear the codes.
It doesn’t happen that often. I recently had both battery cables replaced, due to the car shutting off + hard to start. So – maybe this will fix the O2 issue also. The new cables help the car to start with a lion's ROAR.

Hope you are well and avoiding the crappy Covid.

Cheers,

Tom

FWIW the throttle position sensor is $100+ here in the states.

Last edited by Tom Sawyer; Jan 18th, 2022 at 23:50. Reason: extra text re new battery cables
Tom Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote