Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stuck fuel flap release

Views : 5084

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 10th, 2007, 10:08   #1
Ross9
Master Member

Default Stuck fuel flap release

Hi.

Had to remove the ECU from Jacq's car, once done the central locking still operated, to my surprise lol, so it must be a seperate control box for it etc.

Anyway, I would open it, let the handbrake off and let it shift a tad so as not to size the brakes (parked on a hill) , then close it again.

ECU back now, in car, but the petral flap wont release when the car is opened, doors and boot open but not the petrol cap, either with key used in door lock or fob.

Any ideas? Does the filler cap not operate on the same circuit as the central locking and thus needs to relearn the fob? Has it popped a fuse, or is the bad earth on the car which made us think the ECU was at fault (it wasn't) possibly having an effect on it.

Cheers for any hints as to where to look (or a release button like there is on the 850's)

Ross
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 13:50   #2
timway
Snail Wars: A new shell

Smile

Hi Ross,

I dont know what the cause of your problem is, but I had a look on mine just now and I was able to unlock it from the inside by pulling away part of the boot lining behind the wheel arch on the left hand side and reaching to the actuator behind the filler cap (you need to pull it backwards). Helps if you have small arms so best get Jacq to do it!
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 18:26   #3
Ross9
Master Member

thats excellent, we'll get to the bottom of the issue with it, just handy to be able to put some fuel in lol.

Cheers

Ross
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 10:45   #4
doggone

Default Fuel flap actuator

Ross

would you let me know if you come up with a solution to your problem with the fuel flap.

I have a similar issue and currently go through the 'disappear into the boot' ritual at the petrol stations.

I purchased a replacement actuator from Lea Valley (£25) and had Arnold Clark fit it this week...to no avail. AC reckon it was a wiring fault, but this will need to be investigated later as I needed the car back from them.

I'll let you know if I come up with a resolution to the problem.

Gordon
doggone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 11:28   #5
Bernard333
Premier Member

I had same problem with my V70 , Volvo main dealer disconnected the solenoid and told me its common problem , I meant to get it replaced but by the time I got to think about it again the car was out of warranty and I am too tight too pay for a replacement ( that was 2 years ago ) . You would have thought that in the meantime that with the price of fuel so high and me parking in a not so nice part of an inner city that my tank would be syphoned every night but no I am certain that its never happened , I suppose the thiefs just dont expect to be handed it on a plate or they just dont bother . On the other hand the plastic fuel filler flap on the V70 is so flimsy that it would take a thief with a big screwdriver at least two seconds to just prize it open causing damage to the bodywork so why bother with a sophisticated solenoid actuator system . I am planning to buy a normal locking petrol cap when I can find one cheap at a car boot sale .
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2021, 21:58   #6
shimon340

Hello,

I'm having similar issues with a 2004 facelift S40 (X40).

The fuel filler flap is stuck shut (intermittently) as the solenoid rod / lock isn't moving when you unlock the car on the remote.

By folding the boot liner as per the pics (and as others have also said) you can access the aerial and this solenoid which moves the rod which locks the fuel filler flap/door. There's an elongated Z shape silver rod that connects between the solenoid and at the other end of this rod is the section that sticks out into the fuel filler hose area to lock the door. Due to the angle it's a bit difficult to photograph.

and an annotated pic showing the elongated Z shape rod a bit better

The problem I have is that when in the locked position, pulling on the silver rod e.g. on the vertical section fails to move it at all. However when (intermittent) the solenoid is pulled in / door lock rod open position and the rod isn't in position to hold the door closed, then one can pull on the vertical section of the rod and easily move it in and out, exposing the or retracting the end of the rod from the fuel filler area.

From others that have had this issue, the solenoid is easy to pull inwards from the locked to the open position? Doggone sounds like were able to easily move the solenoid? Was this on a mk1 (1997-2001) or a facelift (2001-2004) model?

I recall on the Mk1 or pre-facelift (1997-2001) S40s there was a removable rubber rectangle in the boot liner on the left side / fuel filler side. Behind this was a wire with a ring in the end that you could pull to retract the rod / solenoid. The access hole and cover is missing in the 2001-2004 facelift models it seems (as an aside as is the access holes for accessing the back of the light clusters to replace the bulbs). But as above folding the boot liner gives access though.

Have others found the whilst the solenoid can fail to move to the open position were you able or unable to be manually pulled it back from inside the boot? This one seems to stick in the outward / locked position and won't budge.

Also, there appears to be no obvious bolts etc holding the solenoid unit into the car from the inside.

Cover is now stuck shut again but might it be these two screws to the right side of the fuel filler pipe be the ones that hold the solenoid unit in?

Thanks
shimon340 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shimon340 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 29th, 2021, 15:42   #7
shimon340

Hi

So has no one had experience of these jamming in the locked position?

When the (intermittent!) solenoid does move to the open / pulled back position then you can slide it back and forth easily. However, when it is in the forward position locking the fuel flap shut, then you can't move it back and forth.

From earlier posts it seems you can move it easily from within the boot and from the locked position (i.e. as a back to opening the fuel flap if the solenoid changed).

I'm going to check on a Mk 1 / pre-facelift model as these may be different. I believe these have a removable rectangular panel on the left inner boot liner than allows you to access the solenoid and pull it back (as a contingency if it jammed).

On the 2001 Mk 2 / facelift model it seems you need to fold back the boot liner (little access panel is missing) and you then can reach the solenoid directly that way

Thanks
shimon340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2021, 17:30   #8
ITSv40
VOC Member

My 1997 V40 didn't have a solenoid lock. The flap was just spring loaded and the filler cap was locked with he ignition key.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote