Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Water in the boot

Views : 866

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 5th, 2021, 15:14   #1
80Sprint

Default Water in the boot

My 66 Amazon has water in the boot every time it rains and it's left on the drive. I can see exactly where it is getting in but not how to stop it. It enters in the corner of the boot where the wheel arch meets the rear wing panel. I chipped away a bit of the original seam sealer and it comes in from here every time. I have put sealant on the screen surround all round and on the horizontal trim between the rear screen and the side window (2 door). No improvement at all.

I can only think his leaves the side window or lower side trim ? I would have thought the side window would not send the water that side of the arch into the boot, not sure.

If anyone has had a rear wing removed would you know the likely entry point of water to this corner and would it be single skinned in this area where it joins the rear arch in the boot ?

Thanks for any suggestions where i look next...
80Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2021, 19:32   #2
Volvo_133
VOC member

During the rebuild of mine, I tried to seal everywhere that i could. Including; the long stainless waistline trim clips are sealed on the inside. I used Denso tape. The rear light cluster lamp holders I sealed with silicon. The rear reflector mounting stud again Denso tape.Is the boot lid seal in good order?
Volvo_133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2021, 10:11   #3
Army
marches on his stomach

It sounds to me like you are not 100% sure where the water is getting into the body. I don't have any carnal knowledge of the Amazon structure but can suggest that if you tape (dry and clean!) toilet paper at strategic places you can quickly see the route of leaks.

Tackle the leaks from outside - sealing from the inside will more often than not cause rot on the metal above / outer side
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2021, 16:24   #4
80Sprint

Unfortunately there is no point putting paper down as I can see where the water enters the boot. That entry point however is between the inner rear arch and the inner wing panel so I can see past that point or have any access to it. I may have to remove the side trim and re-seal as there are not really any other options.
Old Dec 7th, 2021, 09:22   #5
Army
marches on his stomach

Can you remove the wing? (My PV544 has detachable wings but I have no idea if the Amazon ones are bolted on or not)
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2021, 11:17   #6
Rustinmotion

On my estate one of the holes holding the chrome trim along the top of the door line had rusted out allowing water in, not sure if the saloon is same construction but I'd look there
Rustinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2021, 13:38   #7
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80Sprint View Post
Unfortunately there is no point putting paper down as I can see where the water enters the boot. That entry point however is between the inner rear arch and the inner wing panel so I can see past that point or have any access to it. I may have to remove the side trim and re-seal as there are not really any other options.
If it’s leaking through the side trim preferably want to seal the trim clips from the inside if you can I would think. They normally have a non-setting putty material pressed in from behind.
Old Dec 7th, 2021, 15:19   #8
80Sprint

Thanks for the replies. Raining again today so i have covered the rear side window as i suspect it may enter at that point and a dry boot will confirm that. Lastly it may be the side trim. At least it is narrowed down now and i will check out both areas thoroughly.
The Following User Says Thank You to 80Sprint For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 7th, 2021, 18:49   #9
Lucien
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdekin View Post
If it’s leaking through the side trim preferably want to seal the trim clips from the inside if you can I would think. They normally have a non-setting putty material pressed in from behind.
+1 for the side trim chrome spears. Mine leaked there.

Regards
Lucien
Lucien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2021, 21:34   #10
Derek UK
VOC Member

The short length of wide trim that goes from the end of the gutter to the bottom of the rear screen trim is held by 3 clips, These can leak water down the inside of the wing into the wheel arch junction. It's not uncommon to see a rust bubble on the outside at the peak of the wheel arch lip and that is caused by this leak. The clips are hard to get at but should be sealed with the equivalent of dum-dum as per original. Leaks from here can also get down into the spare wheel well. Best to leave the drain hole open if that is the case but if always dry you can use a sealing grommet.
Also make sure the seal for the number plate light is good as water flows down the lid and through the mounting holes.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post: