Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Using manual mode on xc70 automatic gearbox

Views : 3237

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 28th, 2012, 17:49   #1
wolfpack1402

Default Using manual mode on xc70 automatic gearbox

Ive got a 2005 petrol XC70 2.5T with automatic (gear tonic?) gearbox.

I've never used it in manual mode so this may seem like a really dumb question.... how do you actually change gear?

I see that if in Drive I can move the gear lever to the left and the Manual lights up. I can pull away in what I assume is first gear. But how do I change up as there seems to be no movement in the lever when I push it towards the + direction???

I am planning to do some mountain towing in May and feel I might need to keep in a lower gear when doing descents to save the brakes overheating. How do I actually lock the car in lower gear?

Appologies if that sounds really dumb...but I just don't want to experiment and do damage.

Thanks
wolfpack1402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2012, 20:17   #2
NorfolkVolvoSpares
Trader

Hey fellow Norfolk cousin.

If its Tip tronic, just move the lever to the left then just tap it gently forward or backwards to change gear.

any problems send me a PM and pop round to see me

Andy
NorfolkVolvoSpares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2012, 20:34   #3
Rick Barton
Master Member

I have the geartronic model appropriate to this forum, i.e. 2007 onwards, rather than yours, but I agree with Andy, it should just be a very light push either forwards or rearwards. If it isn't, there is something wrong.
Old Mar 29th, 2012, 21:10   #4
SonyVaio
VOC Member

My Observations of the use of Geartronic.

I actively use the manual side (geartronic) of the box each and every day. I think it is fantastic and once you're use to the way it works it comes in very handy and you'll be seamlessly switching between auto and manual as you please.

It does take a little bit of getting use to but as they say - practice makes perfect! Initially it takes that little extra thought to which way to press to go up and down the box (especially if you're previously used to manual cars), sometimes it just doesn't feel right to push forward to go up some gears. As said just get use to the manual side, push stick forward to go up the box and pull back to go down the box. You can even double tap in quick succesion to change up or down two gears.

When driving along you can push the leaver across to the manual side any time you like and vice versa by going from manual back to auto. Points to note would be if in the manual side and you slow to a stop the box will automatically change down the slower you go. The only problem is it doesn't automatically change up, this becomes apparent if you've had to slow right down for a 'Give Way', the box will change all the way down, you'll see a clear gap and stick your foot down but now you'll forget it is still in manual and not auto so you'll be high revving in 1st until you either knock it up a gear or flick the stick to auto.

Next useful thing is when you have come to a section of hills. When negotiating hills you can flick it into manual and have the car hold a gear (say 3rd) and it will stay in this gear for as long as you want it to. This can stop a box searching or just be at that point where it is constantly changing up and then back down for every little adjustment you make to the accelerator. On downhills it is great at holding the gear and providing engine braking/retardation. Unlike in auto mode when the car will get faster and the box will just change up thus getting even faster.

I always find that when moving from the auto to manual side that the box always goes across in a high gear. Even moving across at 30 - 40mph which I'd expect the car to be in 3rd or 4th at most it will always be in either 4th and normally 5th. So more often than not when I do flick from auto to manual I have to knock it down 2 gears to get to my desired gear I want.

Even when travelling along in full auto mode, if I come up behind slower moving cars I will flick the stick across to manual and adjust the gear to provide the braking required as opposed to having to use the brakes all the time. This then come in useful too as you are then in the correct gear if an overtake is appropriate without having to wait on the kickdown happening like you would in auto mode.

I don't tow with my car but the manual side of the box would be perfect for so many situations, most benificial would be negotiating hills both up and down for holding the car in a relevant gear.

Last edited by SonyVaio; Mar 29th, 2012 at 21:20.
SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2012, 22:41   #5
apersson850
Premier Member

Mine is also the 6-speed Geartronic of 2012 year model, so in addition to the "change manually mode" mine also has both D and S modes, that both are automatic.
S mode uses lower gears, more abrupt gear change and uses lockup more extensively, to make a tight relation between the engine and the ride. S mode also changes accelerator pedal response, to make the car feel more powerful, as the same pressure on the pedal will develop more power.
The S mode is actually useful for towing under difficult conditions, like when towing a 2.50 m caravan along a narrow, hilly and winding road. It keeps the engine running faster, so you immediately have access to more power. Still you don't have to go fully manual and you escape a lot of unnecessary upshifts, with subsequent downshifts.

Manual mode I find mainly useful if you want to drive racing style, but then my XC70 isn't the best tool in the box anyway.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to apersson850 For This Useful Post:

Tags
vaiotag