Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

20" Wheels - excessive road noise

Views : 103642

Replies : 1289

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 31st, 2017, 20:04   #1251
Driver Dave

You have an idea about why I complained so much - these are the type of roads I am on all the time
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 20:40   #1252
Sceptre123

It may be worth inviting Volvo out to those roads. It is VERY different to anything I've heard from a car before. Its almost like the days of driving 4x4's with off road tyres in the 80's!!!
Sceptre123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sceptre123 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 1st, 2017, 01:09   #1253
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceptre123 View Post
It may be worth inviting Volvo out to those roads. It is VERY different to anything I've heard from a car before. Its almost like the days of driving 4x4's with off road tyres in the 80's!!!
i would contact Volvo UK as the more owners do the more chance they will do something.
Old Nov 1st, 2017, 10:33   #1254
nu11eaf
Premier Member

My 2017 MY (june 2016) XC90 is in today to get Power Pulse Pipe and AGR bracket replaced (under a TJ call) and I have a new XC90 D5 R design with 22" wheels and Scorpion Verde tyres and air suspension as a loan car and it is even noisier than my D5 Inscription XC90 on 20" wheels and air suspension, that wheel bearing type rumble is really intrusive, I did not think they could get worse than mine. Unless my winter rubber mats are making a difference.
So Volvo have not done anything to solve this problem and having larger wheels does not improve things, contrary to what some claim on here.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2017, 16:46   #1255
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Just picked my car back up from Mill Volvo, EGR bracket and PP PIPE replaced and after asking them to check suspension they recalibrated suspension and lowered tyre pressures, (these will be put back to eco setting) cant say I noticed any difference in noise level from before but mine is "significantly" quieter than the the R design loaner which had 22" wheels, but still not a nice quiet car, I was glad to hand that loan car back, if I was test driving that car with a view to buying I would walk away.
People will end up driving with worn wheel bearings and not know because thats the normal noise in an XC90.
Old Nov 1st, 2017, 17:04   #1256
Bicax

Is it possible to record this sound?

I'm really curious as to how it sounds.
Bicax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2017, 17:35   #1257
ulstrup

I have now 2500km with my 2018 T8 inscription on 20' with conti sport. the car is extremely silent!
I don't know if the T8 got more insulation material or if they have made some changes in the 2018MY but I have zero problem with noise in the car.
ulstrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2017, 18:40   #1258
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
My 2017 MY (june 2016) XC90 is in today to get Power Pulse Pipe and AGR bracket replaced (under a TJ call) and I have a new XC90 D5 R design with 22" wheels and Scorpion Verde tyres and air suspension as a loan car and it is even noisier than my D5 Inscription XC90 on 20" wheels and air suspension, that wheel bearing type rumble is really intrusive, I did not think they could get worse than mine. Unless my winter rubber mats are making a difference.
So Volvo have not done anything to solve this problem and having larger wheels does not improve things, contrary to what some claim on here.
I'm sorry nu11eaf, but I'm getting a little bit aggravated by people on this thread now saying Volvo have not acknowledged the issue, or Volvo have not done anything about it, that is factually incorrect. If Volvo have not acknowledged or done anything about the issues, then:

Why did they put brand new Conti Silent tyres on my car, at their expense, after I'd done over 7k on my existing set?
Why have they developed the B pillar mod and applied it under warranty?
Why have they made modifications to suspension components and applied them under warranty?

While some people may still not be happy with the noise levels after having these mods, or on new vehicles, its not fair to say Volvo haven't done anything.

Your experience in the R-Design is interesting, both Lexman and myself noted an improvements in later vehicles. Perhaps its the 22 inch wheels. I guess if you go for optional 22 inch wheels, then you've got to make a comfort/noise compromise, as you really are getting low on rubber between you and the road.

If I'm going to be honest, I've noted an improvement in my vehicle following the b-pillar and tyre mods and am at the stage now where although I certainly know there are similar vehicles which run quieter, I find the Volvo acceptable to *my* ears, and nobody else in my family has an issue with it!

You still seem bitterly disappointed with your vehicle nu11eaf, and having driven other XC90 and noted the same issues, your discomfort is clearly not specific to your own vehicle. I think its time you get rid, get a Q7 and move on! :-)

:wq
The Following User Says Thank You to familymangreg For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 1st, 2017, 18:44   #1259
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulstrup View Post
I have now 2500km with my 2018 T8 inscription on 20' with conti sport. the car is extremely silent!
I don't know if the T8 got more insulation material or if they have made some changes in the 2018MY but I have zero problem with noise in the car.
Yes, it was noted very early on in this thread that *generally speaking* people with T8's are not complaining of noise issues. I think its been concluded that the additional mass and body of batteries in the car are absorbing some of the sound. I don't believe the insulation will be any different, but there is also the possibility of noise canceling software for the electric motors having a positive effect too, although some have suggested the noise cancelling software would be tuned for completely different higher pitch electric motor noise frequencies.

Old Nov 1st, 2017, 19:37   #1260
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
I'm sorry nu11eaf, but I'm getting a little bit aggravated by people on this thread now saying Volvo have not acknowledged the issue, or Volvo have not done anything about it, that is factually incorrect. If Volvo have not acknowledged or done anything about the issues, then:

Why did they put brand new Conti Silent tyres on my car, at their expense, after I'd done over 7k on my existing set?
Why have they developed the B pillar mod and applied it under warranty?
Why have they made modifications to suspension components and applied them under warranty?

While some people may still not be happy with the noise levels after having these mods, or on new vehicles, its not fair to say Volvo haven't done anything.

Your experience in the R-Design is interesting, both Lexman and myself noted an improvements in later vehicles. Perhaps its the 22 inch wheels. I guess if you go for optional 22 inch wheels, then you've got to make a comfort/noise compromise, as you really are getting low on rubber between you and the road.

If I'm going to be honest, I've noted an improvement in my vehicle following the b-pillar and tyre mods and am at the stage now where although I certainly know there are similar vehicles which run quieter, I find the Volvo acceptable to *my* ears, and nobody else in my family has an issue with it!

You still seem bitterly disappointed with your vehicle nu11eaf, and having driven other XC90 and noted the same issues, your discomfort is clearly not specific to your own vehicle. I think its time you get rid, get a Q7 and move on! :-)

I will move on when I am good and ready not when you say, to move on now will lose me thousands of pounds, quite frankly that is a silly statement you make, unless you are a wealthy man and can afford to take a massive loss on your car and then have the expense of buying a even more expensive replacement it is just stupid.
I maintain apart from the sticking plaster attemps to try and cover up a design flaw in the car nothing has been done in the design of the car to improve the road noise issue. And I will continue to voice my opinions on here if you like it or not.
Having today driven a brand new model that was even noisier than my car I am firmly of the opinion it is still a major issue and needs to be kept in public focus on the forum.
If you familymangreg wish to add to the topic to say otherwise you are free to do so BUT DO NOT TRY TO SENSOR MY OPINIONS OR TELL ME WHAT TO DO. I will not be bullied by you or anyone else to stay quiet, your response was agressive and inappropriate.
Maybe you would like to tell me and everyone else what suspension components have been modified or changed, and without personal attacks.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Nov 1st, 2017 at 19:49.
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post: