Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

20mpg factory fitted v40

Views : 1335

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 29th, 2011, 11:56   #1
richjc4

Default 20mpg factory fitted v40

Can anyone recommend anything to help me improve my fuel usage before I sell for something more economical. I've had the car about 2 years now and get between 20-24mpg depending on the type of driving I do. I had the mot last week and the emissions wouldn't pass on gas so they had to put it on petrol which just came in bellow the upper limits. I'm running single electrode ngk plugs correctly gapped and have not long carried out a full service. Other points to note are that it never starts straight off the key always 5-10 seconds of cranking. Seems overpowered too. It is poor on fuel on petrol too. There are no engine management lights on. Any help greatly appreciated.
richjc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 12:05   #2
capt jack
VOC Member

If things are not good on both gas and petrol I guess you need to think about bits that are common to both.

That would include the ignition and exhaust systems, plus the air filter.

My first thought would be to check the air inlet and filter. If that's clogged then you'd certainly get the problems you've described.

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 12:14   #3
stevo48
Premier Member

The 1st thing I would do is get rid of the NGK plugs and replace with genuine volvo plugs, you say the car has recently been serviced, was that a by yourself or a garage?
As above check ignition coils, fuel system, injectors, pump etc.
Which model V40 is it, how old is the car, how much mileage has it done?
With the bonnet up listen carefully for any clicking/rattling noises coming from the front drivers side of the engine, if you hear anything it is possible the vvt pulley is in ned of replacement which would account for your poor economy and high emissions reading.
Alternatively is your car the mitsubishi powered 1.8 GDI, as this particular engine has issues of its own.
stevo48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 12:27   #4
richjc4

Thanks for the quick replys. I have the 1.8 factory bi fuel, not the gd engine. The air filter is new and I always change it on a regular basis. I believe the spark plugs are ok and are the recommended ones for lpg. Have tried the volvo ones and are worse if anything. I was thinking the leads coil or lambda sensor,however would these not throw up a management light. I've got a limited budget so can't really aford to change everything the car has done 142k

Last edited by richjc4; Apr 29th, 2011 at 12:32.
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 17:52   #5
chelle_belle
and Craig!

May be worth having the lpg system serviced?

855 R
855 T-5
chelle_belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2011, 07:23   #6
richjc4

Yes that is in the list but doesn't explain the poor starting. It's bad on the fuel on lpg and petrol. Might start with the leads and lambda sensior
Old May 2nd, 2011, 21:34   #7
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The NGK plugs will be right if they are the cheap copper core ones. Do not use platinum plugs with LPG.

I would run it on petrol for a while and see if it improves. If the starting ends up much better and the MPG improves then it could be an LPG problem. If things remain the same you will need to have the OBD read with a machine that does live component monitering and check all the sensors are reading correctly.

With the age and millage I would expect a blocked cat as a strong possibility. If it is down on power on both fuel that would add to the chances that the cat is teh problem. If it is the cat I would personaly de cat it.

There is a long list of possible reasons why the consumption (fueling) is so bad but it does need someone with a bit of experiance to solve the problem.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 17:53   #8
richjc4

Smile

Yes I'm using the cheap plugs as reccomended on here for lpg. Ill give the petrol a go for a bit and see if things improve. Will de catting effect the mot at all? saying that it only just passed last time. Ill get it plugged in sometime next week and get back to you with the results. Thanks for the tips.

I did ask an lpg installer about servicing my system but said there wasn't a lot he could do with the factory system other than change the part where the gas mixes which is very expensive apparently. he said these do play up
Old May 5th, 2011, 22:04   #9
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Provided the emmissions are ok not having a cat does not affect the MOT.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote