Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Replacing the exhaust (possibly all of it)

Views : 1752

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 4th, 2021, 18:11   #11
ITSv40
VOC Member

I bought a Sealey 3ton trolley jack 45 years ago and it is still providing good service. It would appear the quality of current models has deteriorated. I suspect the owner of a 45 year old Volvo would argue that current models are built to a lower quality..
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2021, 18:49   #12
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Quote:
I bought a Sealey 3ton trolley jack 45 years ago and it is still providing good service.
That'd be 'old skool' Sealey. Likely made in Italy or Japanese. It won't be carp, but you might struggle with odd seals when it goes.

Quote:

...I'm sure even you will agree that any trolley jack is better than the deathtrap jack which comes supplied with the car.
Completely. Factory supplied jacks are roadside only, and not called 'widow-makers without warrant! Fine, in a pinch, we won't make a habit of it.

Most of us, if we could have such things would see a 2/4 post lift in the garage, a hi-lift jack and 4 x decent jacks gets pretty near to it. My point was that, Halfords/Sealey/Draper etc jacks don't lift high enough for much. Of course we can all manage with a Halfords jack, more so if you all you're after is a pad change, a brake bleed, or the odd wheel-bearing swap, they're fine.

My point was not their safety, few would tell you to rely on a jack regardless of who made it. Any jack is for lifting, not supporting. I've never owned a jack yet, that doesn't suffer failure at some point. That's what seal-kits are for. The mark of a decent jack is the availability of its seal-kit. The very best don't need seal-kits per se, walk into any hydraulics outfit with the old seals and they'll be stock, off-the-shelf items.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Dec 4th, 2021 at 19:24.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2021, 19:17   #13
4x4
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
Most of us, if we could have such things would see a 2/4 post lift in the garage...
I built my garage 12/13 years ago, the plan was to have a pit but when I dug it out it filled with water as it was above the natural water table, so it was filled in and a ramp installed instead

Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2021, 19:25   #14
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Oh I want... you don't need a Bradbury do you!
Old Dec 4th, 2021, 21:01   #15
ITSv40
VOC Member

I have a 3 tonne Bradbury.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20151031_001.jpg (161.0 KB, 27 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2021, 08:59   #16
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

I'm humbled, that has to be about as good as it gets.

Just noticed, what are the boards for, and what is that tool on them, seen sitting on the near-distance boards, The RH board has one too - (peeping out from under the tail-pipe, I think?). A pair of something? Alignment tooling? How is it used?

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Dec 5th, 2021 at 09:13.
Old Dec 5th, 2021, 10:01   #17
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
I'm humbled, that has to be about as good as it gets.

Just noticed, what are the boards for, and what is that tool on them, seen sitting on the near-distance boards, The RH board has one too - (peeping out from under the tail-pipe, I think?). A pair of something? Alignment tooling? How is it used?
The tool is a set of Dunlop tracking gauges- real old skool I am😀 The lift has a wheel free facility and the floor plates have a safety lip along the outer edge so the guage cannot sit level. The boards are to raise the car up so there is a level platform to set the guage on. I can then lower the lift to read the guage and then raise the whole lot to make any adjustments from underneath. For the rear wheel alignment I just read the gauge back to front and then move on to the fronts.
Old Dec 5th, 2021, 10:25   #18
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Thanks, my guess wasn't far off. Jesus wept. You've more old sh*te than me!
I've just bought a Picador Drill sharpener (about 1975) and what with my father being the 'magpie' he was, I'm pretty much rammed with what, other than the likes of you, anyone with sense would see as more scrap.

I reckon hte oldest thing in there is the vice, at 70 years old, that is if you don't count the 'penny farthing'.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Dec 5th, 2021 at 10:29.
The Following User Says Thank You to CNGBiFuel For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2021, 12:30   #19
2Diesels
Premier Member

My original back box disintegrated at 18 years old, I bought a genuine Volvo replacement which was a rationalised version designed to replace the various options, I had to modify the rear hanger as the tailpipe sat too low. Recently at 7 years old the tailpipe rotted off where the rear finisher fits on & melted my brand new rear bumper which was upsetting. The rest of the box & pipework is still mint. The front end is still the original at 26 years old & 250000 miles
2Diesels is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2Diesels For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2021, 11:14   #20
Juular

You may well find a garage willing to stick a bit of weld on the blowing sections. I agree that this may well last longer than an aftermarket part.

The rear section fell off of mine - I just welded it back on and I don't expect it to fail anywhere else. There's definitely common places where it rots through, but the rest is quite sturdy.
Juular is offline   Reply With Quote