Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Amazon OLD style grills that everyone likes

Views : 8556

Replies : 53

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 27th, 2012, 08:55   #11
kishor kassie

Default grilles

Morning. I think it looks great and I would be interested as well. Off course price would be important.
Thanks
Kassie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1800necwinner View Post
hi there folks

now this is a tough one i have been working with a friend on making some old style grills that fit in the Amazon front panels .... ( newer models )

now i have the option of getting more done (made ) wondered if there was much intrest ?? it has taking us a year to get them sourced and best possible way of making them hence why i say a tough one they aint easy nor cheap to produce i will explain and later when i get a clear few photos post them for all to see i can honestly say they have turned out real nice but they come with a price tag even in the material they have been made in which is a fibre glass material with additives to not breakdown over years to come , they have been chemicly treated to take the chroming process in a nice finish with a stainless mesh and stainless fixing bar behind them now they come as a pair naturally so twice the work to complete and im wondering if there would be much intrest i have described them to the best i can and photos shortly will follow im in the process of sorting a final price but as they being made abroad conversion rate is a factor so a final price is not ready yet hence why im posting this to see what reaction we may have and comments etc ...... so watch this space and let me know what you think ??

kishor kassie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kishor kassie For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 09:36   #12
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

You've picked a hard bunch of folk to try and sell to. ;-)

I would say the cost is the cost with this sort of thing. Getting bespoke parts made isn't going to be cheap so those willing to pay the price probably won't be many but good to see some innovation and very good of you for offering it to the guys on here. One thing you need to be certain of before you sell any is how durable they are, if the chrome chips off easily, or they crack over time, etc, people are going to be wanting they're money back which could leave you in a spot.

Now you have got one to copy these guys would make them from stainless steel for you as they have offered to do this for me in the past: http://www.sgbumperscar.com/products(VOLVO).htm

Last edited by Burdekin; Oct 27th, 2012 at 10:24.
Burdekin is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burdekin For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 14:33   #13
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

James (Canuck 122) fitted the old style in his, I think he did detail what he did somewhere, maybe he can tell us when next online. I think he fitted old style to a new grill but could be wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture%2520016.jpg (349.3 KB, 46 views)
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 14:48   #14
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khe Sanh View Post
James (Canuck 122) fitted the old style in his, I think he did detail what he did somewhere, maybe he can tell us when next online. I think he fitted old style to a new grill but could be wrong.
yes im sure tho some modification would be needed on front panels and this option apeals to the pureists as easily reverted back to original grills at a later point so no harm done to the integrity of the car

but im always open to ideas and any new or better way of doing things as learning new stuff is great

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 15:22   #15
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

You've got me thinking with regard to which I prefer now, never really crossed my mind before regarding changing from original. I quite like the fuller outer suround of the early style as does look more classy but leaning maybe towards the bars in the centre rather than the mesh, hmmm, will have to have a look at some pics of early cars I think.
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 15:28   #16
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khe Sanh View Post
You've got me thinking with regard to which I prefer now, never really crossed my mind before regarding changing from original. I quite like the fuller outer suround of the early style as does look more classy but leaning maybe towards the bars in the centre rather than the mesh, hmmm, will have to have a look at some pics of early cars I think.
it has a central bar runing through the middle with the mesh ( stainless steel )as a backing i will have photos later to pop on as we had fitted them to my dads estate to see what they looked like

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
The Following User Says Thank You to 123GT-AMAZON For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 16:09   #17
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Lightbulb close up photos of grills

here is the close up photos of the grills fitted in front panel of the car ....

hopefully that helps see them in a better light and quality of the fitment

Last edited by 123GT-AMAZON; Oct 27th, 2012 at 16:16.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 123GT-AMAZON For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 16:20   #18
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

That certainly is a nice bit of bling for the front. Looks like you have nice weather as well.

The pics are probably a little hard to judge and not sure how well the older style fit but are you happy with the fit as it looks like they sit proud and low in a couple of spots?
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 16:20   #19
Tail
Master Member

They look very good, just the job a real classic look
Tail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tail For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 16:38   #20
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Attached a pic of the vox ones Mattias had made. Prefer the ones you've made. I like how yours curves evenly on both sides to the centre bar. I also like how they fill out the whole of the hole where they fit into.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VoxAmazonGrill.jpg (117.3 KB, 43 views)