Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

A couple of technical questions.

Views : 2114

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 17th, 2006, 15:46   #1
Drew

Question A couple of technical questions.

I have a 854 T5 manual with a RICA 304 remap. It was serviced 3k miles ago [oil/filter/air filter] and has had 5 new plugs. I have a couple of issues. This is my first manual T5 [my last auto didn't have any issues] so could be a characteristic of the manual gearbox.

Surging:
When the car is cold in the morning, I am very gentle with the throttle, so feather the pedal so not to put load on the car, and often let the rev's rise to around 3500 before changing gear. On my way up the rev range [the boost doesn't go beyond 12 o'clock] the car appears to give a bit, then take a bit away, then gives a bit back and so on. It gets more prominent beyond 3000 rpm. This also happens when warm, but only over 3k rpm. When I bury the pedal I get lots of boost and a smooth, but relentless, acceleration with no surging. The colour of my old plugs suggested a perfect mixture.

Is it my top mount?
Picture this; you are in traffic doing 1000-1100 rpm in 2nd gear going down hill - the car is is feels like it is hunting a little. It sort of rocks as if i were slowly tapping the pedal???

Another example is if you accelerate hard lets say between corners being aggressive on and off the power, 2nd gear again, flat to the floor then lift at lets say 5k rpm, it jolts - again feels like a movement of the engine/transmission or something.

I know these explanations may be confusing - does anyone know what I am talking about - lol?
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 18:10   #2
bb54
diy bhp

hi mate, ive had this gentle surging for 18 months, (auto) box.
ive changed untold sensors and valves etc and never cured it.
i live with it as it doesnt seem to cause any issues.

if any/all engine mounts are worn it will allow the engine to rock/twist under full load and will return under lift off, yes.
just have good look at them for any splits or degrading.

wayne

auto 96 T5
tweaked n ratted
bb54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 07:55   #3
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post

Surging:
When the car is cold in the morning, I am very gentle with the throttle, so feather the pedal so not to put load on the car, and often let the rev's rise to around 3500 before changing gear. On my way up the rev range [the boost doesn't go beyond 12 o'clock] the car appears to give a bit, then take a bit away, then gives a bit back and so on. It gets more prominent beyond 3000 rpm. This also happens when warm, but only over 3k rpm. When I bury the pedal I get lots of boost and a smooth, but relentless, acceleration with no surging. The colour of my old plugs suggested a perfect mixture.
sounds to me like you have a inlet manifold air leak...check the elbow on the o/s of the manifold which goes to the pcv ...this may well be allowing unmetered air into the system....i would also check all the other vaccum hoses too....
i found this very useful diagram of the vaccum system which may be of help...
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/cha...pic.php?t=6941
Quote:
I

Is it my top mount?
Picture this; you are in traffic doing 1000-1100 rpm in 2nd gear going down hill - the car is is feels like it is hunting a little. It sort of rocks as if i were slowly tapping the pedal???

Another example is if you accelerate hard lets say between corners being aggressive on and off the power, 2nd gear again, flat to the floor then lift at lets say 5k rpm, it jolts - again feels like a movement of the engine/transmission or something.
i would change the top mount for a polyflex one from pfv http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...oducts_id=3806
this definately stiffened up any gearbox movement i had...i will soon be replacing the lower mounts as a matter of course im sure replacement will not do any harm....

cheers
jod
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 09:13   #4
Drew

Thanks to the both of you for your help.

I have realised that my car looks slightly different under the bonnet to those diagrams?

like this:

Is this Pedro's car?

Last edited by Drew; Oct 18th, 2006 at 09:16.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 09:26   #5
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

Hi Drew, yes thats my car (BT)

when you say it looks like mine do you mean its got the big intercooler pipe going over the top of the engine instead of going round the block?
Pedro Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 09:36   #6
Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Fandango View Post
Hi Drew, yes that's my car (BT)

when you say it looks like mine do you mean its got the big intercooler pipe going over the top of the engine instead of going round the block?
Yeah - it has the early reverse i/c piping
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 09:45   #7
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Yeah - it has the early reverse i/c piping
nice one, it was only early 1994 cars that had that so guess someones had a tweak with your car
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 09:54   #8
Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Fandango View Post
nice one, it was only early 1994 cars that had that so guess someones had a tweak with your car
That would suprise me as it has the early back lights too. I think the car must have sat in the showroom for a while before being registered?

Old Oct 18th, 2006, 09:57   #9
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:

ive said it before and i will say it again that is one fab looking engine bay....
cheers
jod
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 10:05   #10
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jod t5 View Post
ive said it before and i will say it again that is one fab looking engine bay....
thanks Jod, but i'm afraid thats an old pic.

looks like this now

gone from 2 batteries under the bonnet to none now lol, & the wood will be replaced with carbon fibre sheet eventually