Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Events and Meetings
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Events and Meetings Car events and meetings for Volvo cars can be listed and discussed here.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

National Rally 2006 - Judging / Raffle

Views : 3027

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 23:02   #31
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

Default Further on criteria

Concours events (which is what the BKV is) are all about presentation; originality counts if the car is supposed to be standard, but over and above all is the quality of the bodywork, interior, engine bay, boot and trim in terms of looks.

This of course makes modifications secondary; that's why we have a performance section where modifications are NOT secondary!

The Club has to cater for all tastes and types of owner - I'm sure the caravan section would find certain aspects of the performance section difficult to understand, just as the performance section are unlikely to turn up to a meet towing a 5-berther.

Performance judging takes place on the move; dynamics rather than cosmetics rule.
Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 23:55   #32
Chris Wickers
Director

Thank you for the suggestions on the raffle - Nordic Vouchers, and maybe something from Volvo.

With regard to the judging the subject of judges entering their own cars is a matter which can be debated from here to eternity. However what is not up for debate is that they should be judged fairly and not in any way more leniently, or by their owner! I, like Julie, do genuinely believe based on the score sheets I looked at that the cars in the BKV were marked to the best of the judges' ability, and importantly fairly.

As STE-MAL said in his post, all the judges except one, are active members of the Volvo Owners Club, and by definition we all have our own cars, and most of us do or have entered them in the BKV.

There are three options for next year:

a) No judges enter their own cars

b) No judges mark the class their own car is in

c) Judges mark their own class (in the case of register keepers etc.), but not their own vehicle

The problem with option b) is that it surely is best to have the most experienced person marking a class - i.e. Ian for the non-standard class?

The problem with no judges entering their own cars is that had this rule applied this year the number of judges would have been diminished on the day, and the results would have been considerably later. The knock on effect would be that the judges left may well have decided that next year they would be unable to offer the same commitment, and therefore be unwilling to judge.

Contrary to popular belief putting together a team of judges for the National is not as easy as it sounds - many members want to enter their cars and spend as much time as possible cleaning them. The judging itself can take around 4 hours maybe even more with the briefing, and of course restricts the member from other activities.

As per my earlier email if anyone would like to judge next year then please feel free to contact me.

Judging however is an extremely important issue, as are the extra few points available depending on the car's age and mileage - both these subjects will be discussed at length before the next National Rally (York 2007!) and any changes published in the Driver prior to the event.

Chris
Chris Wickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 00:26   #33
MissDMeanor
Corruption rules

Default Hmmm...

I know it is just my opinion based on what I would do......for judges wishing to enter to do so and go through the motions without actually being judged.

I say this because this is exactly what I would do....but then I am unusual, obviously. I didn't want to, or expect to win anything this year but I thoroughly enjoyed prepping the car ready for the line-up. I find it hard to believe that voc staff are happy to walk away with awards which could've been awarded to a member because it is not something I would do. This is not intended to offend, it is just the way I am - unusual!
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 01:38   #34
STE-MAL
You Can't Beat A Swede

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcanelli
I think the "Pre-MOT" category should be done away with. I mean, how much effort does it take to keep a brand new car looking brand new?
It can take a lot of effort, if the car is used every day. This category should stay. The reason I say this is simple, if I could afford to buy a brand new V70 R, I would, and I would still want to enter the B.K.V. Not to win but to take part, and to show my car. I wouldn't want to watch everyone else have fun in the arena showing their cars, and have someone say to me, where is your car? Oh, It's way too new, I'm excluded. Too old, too new, no such thing!
2017 V40 T-3 Inscription Auto
STE-MAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 22:54   #35
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clwickers
With regard to the judging the subject of judges entering their own cars is a matter which can be debated from here to eternity. However what is not up for debate is that they should be judged fairly and not in any way more leniently, or by their owner! I, like Julie, do genuinely believe based on the score sheets I looked at that the cars in the BKV were marked to the best of the judges' ability, and importantly fairly.

As STE-MAL said in his post, all the judges except one, are active members of the Volvo Owners Club, and by definition we all have our own cars, and most of us do or have entered them in the BKV.

There are three options for next year:

a) No judges enter their own cars

b) No judges mark the class their own car is in

c) Judges mark their own class (in the case of register keepers etc.), but not their own vehicle

The problem with option b) is that it surely is best to have the most experienced person marking a class - i.e. Ian for the non-standard class?

The problem with no judges entering their own cars is that had this rule applied this year the number of judges would have been diminished on the day, and the results would have been considerably later. The knock on effect would be that the judges left may well have decided that next year they would be unable to offer the same commitment, and therefore be unwilling to judge.

Contrary to popular belief putting together a team of judges for the National is not as easy as it sounds - many members want to enter their cars and spend as much time as possible cleaning them. The judging itself can take around 4 hours maybe even more with the briefing, and of course restricts the member from other activities.

As per my earlier email if anyone would like to judge next year then please feel free to contact me.

Judging however is an extremely important issue, as are the extra few points available depending on the car's age and mileage - both these subjects will be discussed at length before the next National Rally (York 2007!) and any changes published in the Driver prior to the event.
if there are enough people how about having a seperate staff section?
Pedro Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 03:12   #36
MissDMeanor
Corruption rules

Default Raffle

I've been thinking some more about the raffle and I see the problem you have with deciding what to raffle off. There is such a diversity of age and volvo interest (ie concourse as opposed to modded).

The only thing in common with everyone is Volvos. Is it possible to have Volvo dealer vouchers? That way, everyone could use vouchers for something.....

Or something like a red-letter day for the first prize (they get to choose which they'd prefer, and where).
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 08:50   #37
general_joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Fandango
if there are enough people how about having a seperate staff section?
Good idea, and then we can judge 'em
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 00:06   #38
Chris Wickers
Director

I will definitely look into putting some vouchers up as raffle prizes next year.

As soon as a definitive decision is made about next year's judging I will post it on the forums.

Many thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread.

Chris
Chris Wickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 21:28   #39
arcturus
arcturus

Cool score sheets

It might be a good idea if had our score sheets returned so that we were able to see where we could improve. George
arcturus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 20:03   #40
MissDMeanor
Corruption rules

Arcturus - I think you are able to have your score sheet but you'll need to ask someone (Chris?) for it.

My thoughts are continuing to dribble through I'm afraid. I'm a veteran of car shows from when I had old Fords. At the shows that I used to attend, every car was welcome to join in. There was a seperate section for concourse cars where a trophy/prize was won. The rest of us just in the show received a plague but weren't entered into anything and weren't judged by anyone.

Obviously, the BKV is different in that it caters for just one marque (although Ford Fair is a huge affair). I was surprised at how quiet it was when I'm used to thousands of people milling around - this is not a derrogatory statement, I really enjoyed the friendlier and more cosy atmosphere. Still, the BKV could still adopt the same style of having a specific concourse section as well as other cars on show.