Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1997 V70 Rear Pillar Tweeters

Views : 263

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 18th, 2024, 14:06   #1
vanno

Default 1997 V70 Rear Pillar Tweeters

Without spending a fortune, I wanted to improve the audio quality of the stock SC-805 unit that is currently fitted to my vehicle. Guessing that replacing the door speakers would be a good place to start, I removed the door panels and, after some careful redesigning, mounted the new speakers onto the existing frames. The improvement has been impressive. I also took the opportunity to treat the inside of the door panels with a suitable treatment. Next I listened to the rear tweeters and basically I could only hear mush, so lifting the panel to inspect speaker I noticed a resistor across the terminal. I assume this is factory so any expert out there know what this is for? The impedance of the speaker is 8 ohm where most replacements are 4 ohm. I don’t drive my unit hard so I do want to hear something from the speaker. I have checked through the listings and can’t find anything that relates to this but I may have missed it so apologies. Any help or advice on tweeter replacement would be greatly appreciated, front and rear. Cheers.
Old Apr 22nd, 2024, 08:52   #2
vanno

So as a follow up to my last post. Having done some research, the component fitted to the rear pillar tweeter is a 50v 4.5uf capacitor. Its purpose is to filter out low frequency bass which kinda makes sense. Also running a 4ohm speaker here shouldn’t be a problem as the factory head unit is a 4 x 25w @ 4ohm. I guess if you are fitting an after market head unit which is much more powerful and or additional amplification, you may need to rethink. But to be honest, I am finding the replacement door speakers adequate for my needs. I have found suitable replacement tweeters for the rear so should be a simple fit.