Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear window wash water supply

Views : 639

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 23rd, 2015, 01:03   #1
Jungle_Jim
VOC Member

Default Rear window wash water supply

Hi all

The windscreen washer water bottle keeps emptying itself, and I couldn't see any moisture under it. Then today by chance I notice water dripping from the right/offside spare wheel tub - and looking in there I discovered this plastic piece in the rear-screen water supply dripping. It's a value - and it still works as a valve, but it lets a drip of water come out the back of it.

I am assuming that its job is to keep a little bit of water up there so the wiper doesn't wipe a dry window.

Should I track one down through Volvo spare part channels, or treat it as a generic part which I might be able to get cheaper anywhere?

Not a biggie, but curious,
John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg water valve.jpg (141.1 KB, 29 views)
Jungle_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2015, 09:21   #2
CaptainAhab
Spanner ex machina

Yep, it's a one way valve. Sounds like the rubber diaphragm inside has gone.

New and shiny here : http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...th=519_547_548
Old Jun 23rd, 2015, 11:45   #3
Jungle_Jim
VOC Member

Thanks Captain

I also saw that part on partsforvolvosonline, but think that £9.40 plus postage is too expensive for a 20p generic part so I might see if I can get a similar thing cheaper from a motor factor type shop.

Thanks
John
Old Jun 23rd, 2015, 12:20   #4
Angie
Premier Member

I've always had a problem with rear screen-wash and assumed it was caused by a faulty valve near the bottle. I've just located the possible culprit, thanks to your picture, J-J, so I can see about a replacement. It must surely be possible to get such a simple part at a sensible price.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2015, 12:28   #5
CaptainAhab
Spanner ex machina

Agreed. Ebay linky...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/26151...f14=108&ff19=0
Old Jun 23rd, 2015, 13:16   #6
Angie
Premier Member

There are so many to choose from! Is this the right one, Ebay number 270747539201? I don't know what size tube it is, so any help gratefully received. Prompted by the OP I've taken the valve off, established that the pump is getting fluid to the back of the car, got the tyre pump out, blown through the valve, which seems to be operating correctly, but still no fluid getting to the washer jet. When I took the valve off fluid ran down from the jet side, so at some time the washer must have worked. I don't know how to remove the jet, it looks as if it's just pressed in but don't want to risk causing damage. Again, any advice gratefully received!

Just realised I've hijacked the thread, apologies.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2015, 14:00   #7
speedyG50

Default Rear washer jet

Angie, don't remove the jet.
The tube has probably got gunge inside. Tried a foot pump too.
With some water in the tube, I just did a bit of sucking and blowing and the gunge loosened up after some minutes. Not the most hygienic method, but it worked. Reconnect the tube and flush through with clean water
speedyG50 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speedyG50 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 23rd, 2015, 15:52   #8
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I've always had endless trouble with washer jets blocking, or partially blocking so that they squirt in the wrong direction or only give a 3" trickle.
The Volvo system seems to me to be fundamentally flawed - weak pump and a very small jet, so inevitably any gunge accumulates at the narrowest point.

Modern washers seem to be much more powerfull, so presumably have bigger jets so are less prone to blocking.
I'd love to have the kind that seems like a hose pipe, and douses the whole car and the one behind. But normally I have to be satisfied if a minute spray actually reaches somewhere on the screen.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2015, 18:54   #9
wooble
Stay gold baby!

For something that's so cheap you might not be bothered, but I've repaired the valves in the past. You can use a knife blade to pop the black cover off the top, being careful not to lose the spring and plunger inside. the rubber diaphragm that the spring and plunger act on is certainly rotted away, so clean the remains out and cut a new diaphragm from an appropriate piece of rubber sheet. I believe I used a marigold glove last time.

For blocked washer nozzles, see if your friendly local garage man is willing to give the system a 5 second blast with his air nozzle, 120psi shifts most crud. disconnect the tubes before the non-return valve though, or you risk damaging them. or, as I have had the misfortune of experiencing, all that compressed air emerging through the windscreen washer tank in a fountain of screenwash!

Last edited by wooble; Jun 24th, 2015 at 18:59.
wooble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wooble For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 24th, 2015, 22:27   #10
Jungle_Jim
VOC Member

Thanks Wobble
I'll remember next time about the possible fix for these valves.

I just bought this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-Genuine...item4d0ace1e5a - it doesn't even say what diameter hose it wants, but I'll take a punt on it at £2.64 incl P&P.

It's not identical to the Volvo part - being in-line rather than 90 degree elbow - but really come on £9.40 for a part that cost 5p to make.

John