Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How I fixed my v70 D5 intercooler.

Views : 17917

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 20th, 2009, 15:54   #1
roly

Default How I fixed my v70 D5 intercooler.

i've actually come on the forum to see how to fix my wing mirror but I'm so grateful for the information which I find on here that I feel moved to tell this tale in case it helps anyone else.

About 6 months ago my 53 plate V70 D5 with 140K on the clock starting blowing increasiung volumes grey of smoke from the exhaust on acceleration. Although I tried to ignore it for a while, it obviously wasn't going away and evenetually my wife refusing the drive the car until it was fixed was the final straw. One short visit to this forum made it fairly obvious that the intercooler must have split not only from the smoke but also the oil that had been dripping from under the radiator for the preceding 12 months or so.

Having got the intercooler out (Haynes) it was clearly leaking, the bottom tubes were swollen, bowed downwards and covered in oil residue. Incidentally, my guess is that this failure was probably caused by a build up of condenstation in the intercooler eventually freezing when the car is parked in the winter - seems to be the only thing that could casue that degree of swelling and distortion, plus it's only the bottom few tubes which had failled. Wonder if Volvo would consider providing a drain plug - probably not :-(.

Phoned every radiator place in town but apparently it's a delaer only part so called Volve. After some negotitation I got the price down to £200 but being the kind of chap who runs his cars into the ground it still seemed a bit steep so I told them I'd come back to them if I couldn't fix the intercooler myself.

OK- now for the fix. Using engine degreaser and a hose, I cleaned the oil off the old intercooler - yuk. To find, the leak, I taped off one end of the intercooler and blew into the other (put cling film or something over first so you don't get a mouth fulll of oil). On blowing I could hear the air hissing out and subsequent inspection of the tubes revelaed 10 or 15 spots of fresh oil seeping out of pin holes on the cleaned surface.

Figuring that as it was only around the bottom 10% of the tubes which had failled and that Volvo probably designed the car to work in much higher temperatures than it will ever see in the UK, to attemp a repair seemed quite in order.

A trip to Halfords for a large pot of liquid metal left me about £15 poorer. After giving the intercooler another clean, this time degreasing as well with thinners, I mixed the entire tin and worked it in between and all over the leaking tubes so that the lower 10% of the intercooler was packed solid from both sides. I blew into the intercooler again and this time it held pressure eventaully bursting the cling film I was using to seal the other end.

I refitted the intercooler and went for a drive and I can only say that the car was transformed. Performance was noticeably better, and even better - no smoke either! That was six months ago and since then it has run with no problems, average fuel consumption has gone from 42mpg to 46mpg.

i appreciate that many reading this will probably not approve but it seemed to me I had little to lose and so far so good :-)
roly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to roly For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 20th, 2009, 17:03   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

I've often thought of chopping off the few rows which are leaking and crimping the tubes to seal them ... But its such a horrible job to get the intercooler in and out , is it worth it .....
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:57   #3
smssms

Has anybody ever tried pouring something in that will flow to the bottom and then set to block off the leaky section?

Thoughts?

Suggestions?
smssms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 13:45   #4
Bernard333
Premier Member

I like the idea of these type of repairs and would not be averse to trying anything that might save me the cost of a new part so thanks for the repair tips . The standard intercooler fitted to the Euro 3 163bhp D5 is an economic compromise and not good enough to give maximum economy and power , losing more of its capacity by repairing it this way may not pay if you plan to keep the car for a long time and you enjoy using the full power available . The D5 and T5 intercoolers are exactly the same dimension ( the 2.4T intercooler also looks the same to me ) , there is no way that the one intercooler is ideal for all these engines , it suited Volvo to use the same one and I am sure its 85 % good for the three engines , in my case I potter along most of the time so this is an academic point but for anyone wanting power its a different matter .
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 14:19   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard333 View Post
I like the idea of these type of repairs and would not be averse to trying anything that might save me the cost of a new part so thanks for the repair tips . The standard intercooler fitted to the Euro 3 163bhp D5 is an economic compromise and not good enough to give maximum economy and power , losing more of its capacity by repairing it this way may not pay if you plan to keep the car for a long time and you enjoy using the full power available . The D5 and T5 intercoolers are exactly the same dimension ( the 2.4T intercooler also looks the same to me ) , there is no way that the one intercooler is ideal for all these engines , it suited Volvo to use the same one and I am sure its 85 % good for the three engines , in my case I potter along most of the time so this is an academic point but for anyone wanting power its a different matter .
Have you seen the intercooler on the new 205 bhp D5? It is 1/3 the height but twice as thick ...so much less efficient than the old D5 one
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 19:57   #6
Bernard333
Premier Member

Clan , I have not had a close look at the 205bhp D5 engine , does the smaller intercooler used mean that the aftermarket intercooler makers will be able to add even more power than the 15bhp gain they can offer for the old 163bhp D5 ?
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 21:45   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

I think the twin turbo D5 will easily go to 250 bhp / 500 nm but not sure whether they change the intercooler or just a remap ..
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 21:00   #8
kevin harris

Default intercooler fix

roly, how has this fix held up, has there been any other problems due to this?
kevin harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 06:41   #9
Hms

Default Inter cooler - the same happened to my car

The same happened to my car but I had no time to repair the radiator therefore, I had to have it replaced for a lot of money.
My question: Are you sure that this problem was caused by water condensed in the radiator?
I remember, I washed my car this winter and sprayed the washwater through the grill into the coolers area in the nose of the car. The air intake hose is installed in this area, above the radiators. It was assumed by the mechanic and me that I sprayed some water into the intake opening. This water was then carried away by the air into the intercooler radiator.

Did you wash your car in a similar way before the problem occurred?
Hms
Hms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2015, 19:08   #10
moorgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hms View Post
The same happened to my car but I had no time to repair the radiator therefore, I had to have it replaced for a lot of money.
My question: Are you sure that this problem was caused by water condensed in the radiator?
I remember, I washed my car this winter and sprayed the washwater through the grill into the coolers area in the nose of the car. The air intake hose is installed in this area, above the radiators. It was assumed by the mechanic and me that I sprayed some water into the intake opening. This water was then carried away by the air into the intercooler radiator.

Did you wash your car in a similar way before the problem occurred?
Hms
No, this is a red herring. the water would have to pass through the air filter! The mechanism that blows the tubes is the MAP sensor becoming oily and dirty and under-reporting the air pressure achieved inside the intercooler.
moorgate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
intercooler, oil leak v70 diesel, smoke, v70 d5, will it last?