Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to prime

Views : 1743

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 7th, 2008, 18:51   #1
Laney760
VOC Member

Default How to prime

Broke down when I first bought this car, couldn't find out what was wrong, turned out to be diesel, lack of, either my lift pump only pulls up only 13 galls out of a possible 20 gall tank or I do have a 13 gall tank and my fuel guage works only between half and full (literally in that I've used 13 galls by the time she gets down to half). Anyhow, the RAC primed it by putting a little hand pump somewhere on the diesel pump I think. My Merc 307D has had to be primed a couple of times in her life after standing for long periods on low levels of diesel, the only way on this engine is to loosen off the injectors and turn it over (for about an hour, lol) until the fuel comes through

What's the best pump I should have in my tool kit for priming this engine and exactly where does it go on the diesel pump please? (I've seen 'universal' hand pumps for sale and seen mention of an electonic/electric one on here somewhere). Sorry not a very high tech question but something I've been unable to source on the net. Thanks
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 19:47   #2
craig8661
Master Member

theese engines are self priming and dont reguire a second pump usaly they start after 40 secs of winding if it takes longer or wont start suspect rear seal on the pump
just looking more into your post your pump seals are failing

NOTICE OF DISCLAIMER any information i give is soley on my own findings and mess ups
craig8661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 00:56   #3
Laney760
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig8661 View Post
theese engines are self priming and dont reguire a second pump usaly they start after 40 secs of winding if it takes longer or wont start suspect rear seal on the pump
just looking more into your post your pump seals are failing

Thanks for that Craig. The RAC never told me this, only that it needed priming because it had 'run out' of diesel and therefore had to be primed. I pick up so much wrong information by listening to experts, lol...
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 02:31   #4
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Hi Laney, I have been trying to get diesel owners to invest in a small priming pump for a long time now. I have been thinking along the lines of an old SU electric pump which can be fitted permanently in the fuel line and wired via a push switch so that should the need arise a push on the switch for a few moments is all that is needed to prime the main pump. I found out that it takes a lot longer to reprime the pump than is currently thought. I flattened three batteries trying to start the car when I replaced my injectors. I have so far not had any complaints of pump rear seal failure as they are particularly long lived. Failure can occur if an additive is not used with the fuel (I highly reccommend the Miller's product), if bought from a supermarket outlet. Recently I have found that the Shell diesel is well worth a couple of pence more.

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 07:38   #5
craig8661
Master Member

also to add my pump failed because of bio diesel but when rear seal was done mine was never bad to start ran it out of diesel twice had injectors out once and still wasnt bad to start all i did after injectors out was crack the front injector
as peter says you can add a electric prime pump or you could add a rubber primer bulb as used on pugs also they have a noe return valve to stop drain back to tank
you can fit this where the steel pipe comes up to the chassie leg and goes into the rubber pipe that goes over to the diesel filter
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10mm-Fuel-Prim...d=p3286.c0.m14
all you will need to do is ither cut the origanal rubber hose or just add a little one for the bulb use some good jubily clips to make it air tight

NOTICE OF DISCLAIMER any information i give is soley on my own findings and mess ups
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 15:46   #6
Laney760
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Milnes View Post
Hi Laney, I have been trying to get diesel owners to invest in a small priming pump for a long time now. I have been thinking along the lines of an old SU electric pump which can be fitted permanently in the fuel line and wired via a push switch so that should the need arise a push on the switch for a few moments is all that is needed to prime the main pump. I found out that it takes a lot longer to reprime the pump than is currently thought. I flattened three batteries trying to start the car when I replaced my injectors. I have so far not had any complaints of pump rear seal failure as they are particularly long lived. Failure can occur if an additive is not used with the fuel (I highly reccommend the Miller's product), if bought from a supermarket outlet. Recently I have found that the Shell diesel is well worth a couple of pence more.

All the best, Peter.

Thanks for this. I have been using supermarket fuel, will avoid from now on. I'm assuming you mean normal octane Shell or perhaps the higher octane (think I've read this is not good for these engines?)

Old Sep 8th, 2008, 15:48   #7
Laney760
VOC Member

Quote:
also to add my pump failed because of bio diesel but when rear seal was done mine was never bad to start ran it out of diesel twice had injectors out once and still wasnt bad to start all i did after injectors out was crack the front injector
as peter says you can add a electric prime pump or you could add a rubber primer bulb as used on pugs also they have a noe return valve to stop drain back to tank
you can fit this where the steel pipe comes up to the chassie leg and goes into the rubber pipe that goes over to the diesel filter
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10mm-Fuel-Prim...d=p3286.c0.m14
all you will need to do is ither cut the origanal rubber hose or just add a little one for the bulb use some good jubily clips to make it air tight

Thanks for this. If I had a spare pump I'd use biofuel but have read that it does the shaft seal in eventually. Adding a picture of my beast but it's coming out a bit big, lol..

Old Sep 8th, 2008, 19:14   #8
craig8661
Master Member

it looks well im missing my beast now on the irish meet i think they was all shocked when william took of then i was not far behind i dont think they relised the diesel ones can shift

Old Sep 8th, 2008, 20:30   #9
Laney760
VOC Member

Quote:
it looks well im missing my beast now on the irish meet i think they was all shocked when william took of then i was not far behind i dont think they relised the diesel ones can shift

There are currently FOUR diesel 940s on Ebay today, one has a full Volvo service history. Can I tempt you?
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 03:05   #10
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Your car is looking rather good Laney, what is the roof projection or is there a van parked behind? How about a picture of yourself and the car so we can see what a fine couple you make? Incidentally, that is another bit of baloney about the shaft seal on the pump and that the higher cetane Shell is not good for diesels. There is no truth in either. The only thing that can muck the pump up is poor quality fuel. Biodiesel added to the tank at anything from 5% mix is beneficial as it replaces the lubrication for the pump that Ultra Low Sulphur fuel takes away. Hence my reccommendation for the Millers additive when using supermarket fuel in particular.

All the best, Peter.

Last edited by Peter Milnes; Sep 9th, 2008 at 03:12. Reason: added information
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote