Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil Level Warning after Oil Change

Views : 707

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 2nd, 2021, 23:02   #1
WrathOfKain

Default Oil Level Warning after Oil Change

D5244T4 ---- Perplexed with this one. I have always had problems getting a proper read from my dipstick. Got to the point I changed the oil out just in case. I measured the amount of used oil and it was c. 4.5L so dipstick clearly not giving an indicator of what is in there. So I put in 4L and ran the engine for a while checking for leaks etc. And all was ok. Checked dip stick and nothing on it not even min. Took it for a run and low level came up followed by fill warning. Took it home and checked filter and sump plug and both are clean. Topped up with another 0.3L of oil and took it for another run. Again low level eventually came on but not the fill warning. I checked with Vida on the 4L fill and it reported -20% and then after the additional 0.3L it reported -7%. So it would suggest that the level is low but I know what I put in last year which pretty much came out even with dipstick not showing any oil and looks to be the case again now but I am now getting the warning lights. So beginning to wonder if I have the wrong dipstick and the oil level is learning and will clear. Note that coolant and oil temps have remained fine and vida does not show any oil related fault codes. I am at a loss .... could maybe top up oil a wee bit more and try and get it to what I put in last year when there was no warnings but conscious of overfilling without validating with a dipstick.
WrathOfKain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2021, 23:55   #2
WrathOfKain

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrathOfKain View Post
D5244T4 ---- Perplexed with this one. I have always had problems getting a proper read from my dipstick. Got to the point I changed the oil out just in case. I measured the amount of used oil and it was c. 4.5L so dipstick clearly not giving an indicator of what is in there. So I put in 4L and ran the engine for a while checking for leaks etc. And all was ok. Checked dip stick and nothing on it not even min. Took it for a run and low level came up followed by fill warning. Took it home and checked filter and sump plug and both are clean. Topped up with another 0.3L of oil and took it for another run. Again low level eventually came on but not the fill warning. I checked with Vida on the 4L fill and it reported -20% and then after the additional 0.3L it reported -7%. So it would suggest that the level is low but I know what I put in last year which pretty much came out even with dipstick not showing any oil and looks to be the case again now but I am now getting the warning lights. So beginning to wonder if I have the wrong dipstick and the oil level is learning and will clear. Note that coolant and oil temps have remained fine and vida does not show any oil related fault codes. I am at a loss .... could maybe top up oil a wee bit more and try and get it to what I put in last year when there was no warnings but conscious of overfilling without validating with a dipstick.
Oh one other variable was I had the battery low level warning before doing the oil change. It had sat all week on the driveway and drained a wee bit with me .doing vida checks.
Old Apr 3rd, 2021, 09:08   #3
WrathOfKain

Nobody answer the bat signal. ?

Last edited by WrathOfKain; Apr 3rd, 2021 at 09:35.
Old Apr 3rd, 2021, 09:53   #4
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
I had the battery low level warning before doing the oil change. It had sat all week on the driveway and drained a wee bit with me .doing vida checks.
The XC90 will show battery voltage low after about 30min of key on, engine not running.
That's totally normal.
That's why Volvo techs always connect a smart battery charger when doing VIDA diagnostics. As recommended by VIDA.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2021, 11:30   #5
WrathOfKain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
The XC90 will show battery voltage low after about 30min of key on, engine not running.
That's totally normal.
That's why Volvo techs always connect a smart battery charger when doing VIDA diagnostics. As recommended by VIDA.
I am getting confused on what the oil fill should be on a D5244T4 I believe it should be 75% of Max which I thought would be 0.75 X 5.7 = 4.3 ????
Old Apr 3rd, 2021, 11:51   #6
WrathOfKain

For God's sake isn't anything simple in life. I have checked engine decal vs vida for the engine and they are different. Decal says D5244T but Vida is showing D5244T4. The latter is consistent with the year 2007. So there is a fair bit of difference between them with D5244T = 6.5 and D5244T4 = 5.7 ..... So would it appear I have an older engine in there than the cars are and therefore my fill level should be 4.9 litres .... Just getting a headache with this now
Old Apr 3rd, 2021, 12:39   #7
gmonag
Premier Member

I think you are mis-interpreting the oil capacity. The dipstick should read 3/4 between min and max. That is not 75% of capacity. Just fill until the dipstick gives the correct reading
Old Apr 3rd, 2021, 12:49   #8
WrathOfKain

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmonag View Post
I think you are mis-interpreting the oil capacity. The dipstick should read 3/4 between min and max. That is not 75% of capacity. Just fill until the dipstick gives the correct reading
Quite possibly but even with 4.8 L it barely shows on the dipstick. I struggle getting decent readings on the dip but if the problem this isn't the original engine might well explain it?
Old Apr 3rd, 2021, 14:11   #9
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
For God's sake isn't anything simple in life. I have checked engine decal vs vida for the engine and they are different. Decal says D5244T but Vida is showing D5244T4. The latter is consistent with the year 2007. So there is a fair bit of difference between them with D5244T = 6.5 and D5244T4 = 5.7 ..... So would it appear I have an older engine in there than the cars are and therefore my fill level should be 4.9 litres .... Just getting a headache with this now
None of these engines take 6.5 litres of oil, at least not euro 4 (2006 onwards). When the cars were originally designed, they took 6.5 litres, but then there were problems with oil levels rising due to failed DPF regenerations.

The solution was Volvo recalled their cars & recalibrated the dipsticks/oil levels, so you add less oil, but the car still thinks its full if that makes sense. You only fill to the 3/4 mark on the dipstick & that has been the case for many years.

If there's only 4.8 litres in the engine, that's well below where it should be (it should be 5.7 litres) & that's why its barely showing on the dipstick - Its simply too low. Add oil until it shows at around the 3/4 mark on the dipstick (which if you drained the oil into a bucket would be approx 5.7 litres). If there's 4.8 litres in the engine now, you need to add another 900ml of oil to bring you to the 3/4 mark. Don't add anymore oil than that.

Last edited by Kev0607; Apr 3rd, 2021 at 14:15.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2021, 14:38   #10
SwissXC90
Premier Member

I have a MY2009 XC90 with the D5244T4 engine

My dealer charges me for 5.7 L of oil at every oil change.

Put your chassis number into VIDA and it will tell you what engine you have
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post: