Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Parking brake saga - broken wiring loom, recall?? V90

Views : 4588

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 12th, 2021, 12:31   #1
Steorbs

Default Parking brake saga - broken wiring loom, recall?? V90

Hi all,

Those of you may have seen my post around issues with the parking brake in the last couple of days on my 66 plate V90. Ive just had 'the call' which included words such as are you sat down?

So apparently its a wiring loom to the parking brakes that has cut through (rubbing on the sub frame), something the tech who came to the house from Volvo (or their agreed guys should i say) said was a problem on early cars. The car is our of warranty as of January so about to take this up with Volvo as this seems a bit silly that this should happen and should be a recall if known issue?

The bill being quoted is £400 to replace the loom which im expecting to be a big loom for this price, but probably not. Anyone had this happen or replaced under warranty?
Steorbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steorbs For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2021, 12:55   #2
techwatcher
Master Member

Volvo are normally pretty good in these situations and even out of warranty will probably provide a contribution to the cost if asked.

The £400 quote may not indicate the size of the loom to be replaced, as the quote presumably includes labour.

I wound ensure that the dealer speaks to Volvo about a cost contribution; a decent dealer should have done this already.
Old Mar 12th, 2021, 13:02   #3
amadan

Does that £400 include a contribution from Volvo as that seems surprisingly low for dealer rates of work!

Definitely shouldn’t have happened but on the plus side at least it’s replaceable - A YouTube channel called TFL in the states had a dealer slice into the wiring loom on a new defender whilst fitting a winch and it appears to have written off the vehicle.
Old Mar 12th, 2021, 13:48   #4
nu11eaf
Premier Member

I totally agree that this should be a safety recall. Any fault effecting the braking system or potential to cause elelectrical short and possible fire should be a safety recall.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2021, 14:14   #5
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Your dealer should be going for goodwill with Volvo for you. You can then push for extraordinary goodwill after that (that is the last stage you have).

We have a v60 which had an intellisafe sensor fail over 1 year out of warranty. We got 60% goodwill which did manage to reduce the bill quite a lot but still annoyed me....

I would be quite hopeful for you if it is a known manufacturing issue. I would be surprised if you couldn't push them to at least three quarter contribution.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2021, 14:49   #6
Boatie
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Your dealer should be going for goodwill with Volvo for you. You can then push for extraordinary goodwill after that (that is the last stage you have).

We have a v60 which had an intellisafe sensor fail over 1 year out of warranty. We got 60% goodwill which did manage to reduce the bill quite a lot but still annoyed me....

I would be quite hopeful for you if it is a known manufacturing issue. I would be surprised if you couldn't push them to at least three quarter contribution.
When I had a V70 some years ago I had the Intellisafe system fail (under warranty). The first step in the procedure was to replace the loom between the camera and xxxxx? Seemingly it had to be specially made, it took 5 weeks and turned out not to be the problem.
In the end it turned out to be the camera/xxxxxx and that the total cost (to me ) would have been in excess of £1100.
Old Aug 18th, 2022, 15:21   #7
hari

Default Volvo XC90 2018 'Parking brake service required'

Hi All

My 2018 Volvo that was bought from a Volvo dealer less than 12 months ago came up with a message 'Parking brake service required'.

As the car was due for a service we took it in and asked them to have a look at this issue too.

The car is still under warranty - however we were told we will need to pay £170 diagnostic fee, and if the issue is covered by the warranty then this will be refunded.

We were then told the issue was a corroded parking brake wiring loom that will cost £1500 to replace, and corrosion is not covered by warranty.

Does this sound normal to you?

I have just received the option to extend my warranty at approximately £600 for another 12 months - I can't see the point!
hari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2022, 17:27   #8
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hari View Post

We were then told the issue was a corroded parking brake wiring loom that will cost £1500 to replace, and corrosion is not covered by warranty.

!
..sadly yes. All warranties tend to have" excludes wear and tear" as weesel words so they can get out of meeting claims. I've NEVER seen an engineering failure that was not attributable to some wear/tear,even in incorrectly manufactured (design or material used) items.
I'd ask how many of your vehicle type had been returned due to this type of failure. When they proudly tell you they have never heard of this fault, suggest that volvo warrant their cars for 8 years against rust perforation, and take adequate rust proofing measures to ensure that timescale is achieved. The fact your handbrake loom failed to reach the 8 years that the rest of the car can achieve would indicate, faulty materials used, or faulty protection applied. What other reason could cause the failure?? Or are volvo so penny pinching they only protect the loom to last 3 years and its a serviceable item??? Therefore this is a genuine claim and should be sorted out at volvos cost.

Cheers Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2022, 18:31   #9
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hari View Post

As your car is a 2018 car I presume the warranty you refer to is the Volvo Extended Warranty. Like all so-called extended warranties it is actually an insurance policy, in this case provided by Car Care Plan.

Like all insurance policies it has exclusions and damage caused by corrosion is one of the exclusions.

Having said that, a wiring loom should not fail due to corrosion after four years.

I would ask for Volvo to cover the cost or to provide a contribution towards the cost - succeeding with the latter is more likely than the former.