Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Auto gear box is this normal?

Views : 724

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 5th, 2004, 05:41   #1
Nick__allen

When the engine is cold and I drive away the car stays in the same gear for longer than when warm. Can anyone confirm if this is normal behaviour?

I read somewhere that having too much oil in the gear box may cause this?
Old May 5th, 2004, 15:31   #2
Dave M

Default RE: Auto gear box is this normal?

Unfortunately not :-(

The symptom you describe is due to the valve box sticking inside the autobox.

You may be lucky on changing the autobox fluid & Filter and fitting Lubeguard at the same time. Incidentally, when was the last time the fluid was changed? It's meant to be changed every 30k but doesn't always happen. Check the condition of the fluid as it should be nice and pink, Brown or other and you've got problems. Also check for smell, does it smell burnt or "almondy" again problems looming:-(

The valve box should cost in the region of £4-500 pounds to remove and overhaul but please! Bear in mind this is only to open and repair the valve box, if there's anything else i.e clutch plates/pack required or seals, then this WILL add value to the cost of the repair.

Sawwwwyyy to be the bearer of impending doom:-(

Regards
Dave M
Old May 5th, 2004, 20:51   #3
pettaw
Forum Support Team

Hold on there! Are you sure its not an electric thing where the car stays in slightly lower gears to keep the revs up to warm up the box a bit quicker. I'm sure I read that somewhere.

Could be wrong though.

Andy
pettaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2004, 21:49   #4
Garfield

Wouldn't surprise me if that were so but haven't read it but mine is absolutely no different cold or hot.
Old May 5th, 2004, 22:41   #5
Nick__allen

Thanks I will check the colour of the oil tomorrow and get it changed ASAP if necessary. I will post an update on the outcome.
Old May 5th, 2004, 22:51   #6
Swoosh

>Hold on there! Are you sure its not an electric thing where
>the car stays in slightly lower gears to keep the revs up to
>warm up the box a bit quicker. I'm sure I read that
>somewhere.
>
>Could be wrong though.

I've had use of two auto boxes in recent years (not Volvo, though, a Honda Accord & a Chevy Malibu) - both of these did precisely that. So fingers crossed for you that this is what's going on!
Old May 6th, 2004, 18:22   #7
Nick__allen

The Gear box oil looks sort of pink hard to tell onthe yellow dip stick! Not bright pink though.