Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

performance: amazon v 1966 P1800

Views : 1085

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 19:50   #1
mike7

Default performance: amazon v 1966 P1800

Hi Guys,
I might be looking at a P1800 from 1966 and was wondering what sort of performance it has in relation to the Amazon 122S eg. acceleration, top end, brakes, handling etc.
Also, is there much of a difference between a '66 and say a '72 P1800?
cheers,Mike
mike7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 09:02   #2
amazondean
amazondean

Default volvo 1800s

I believe the earlier 1800 is far better looking and slightly simpler to maintain. I have recently bought a 1966 1800. Whach out for body filler everywere!! It has been fitted with a 2 litre twin carb engine with a fully gas flowed head and a large stainless exhaust. It goes very well.

Dean.

amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 14:36   #3
TomTom
Master Member

I think it would depend on what modifications had been done to either car. B20 vs B18, engine work, carb set-ups all make a noticeable, but not amazing difference to the behaviour.

I suppose the '72 model would have dual-diagonal system brakes, would it, like the later 140s? B20 gives you better grunt in the low/mid range but no real gains at top end. Gear-box is stronger in the later models and also check where the body parts were assembled. No dissing the UK but I fear the Olofstrom cars would probably hold together longer.

Ben
TomTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 17:31   #4
Tony Barrett
The Old Volvo Man

Default p1800

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7 View Post
Hi Guys,
I might be looking at a P1800 from 1966 and was wondering what sort of performance it has in relation to the Amazon 122S eg. acceleration, top end, brakes, handling etc.
Also, is there much of a difference between a '66 and say a '72 P1800?
cheers,Mike
Not much difference really:-
72 car has bigger seats, different grille, 2.0 litre engine, fuel injection, bigger exhaust, three silencers, horrible dashboard, even more horrid steering wheel, disc brakes all round, sometimes dangerous wheels, rear wing vents, heated rear window, horrible gearknob, dipping interior mirror, not so good gearbox, different colours, and a few hundred small differences.
Not much different really.
Tony The Old Volvo Man
0208-525-7283
Tony Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 17:35   #5
mike gilbert
Master Member

To answer your question Mike.
Amazon V 66 1800S. The Amazon is lighter and will accelerate slightly quicker.
The 1800 is more streamlined and has a higher top end speed.
The engine, brakes, suspension etc are all the same so as the Amazon is lighter it will handle slighter better (though it has a higher centre of gravity which evens it out a bit).
The 72 1800E drives much better than an S or an amazon. It is quicker, better brakes, better overdrive, better electrics, better rear vision, better ventilation. But it is noisier and harder to fix because of its fuel injection. Its also less desireable because of the black wheels, grill and 70's dash. That means you get a better car for your money but don't believe the myth about British build quality. The E and ES bodies were made in Sweden, all the S bodies were British built and believe me the E and ES rust much worse than an S. I've had about 35 of these cars and the early Swedish cars are the most rust resistant, late 63 - 64.
Mike
mike gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 19:04   #6
mike7

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking that the performance would be fairly similiar but I did imagine that the p1800 would be a bit quicker and better handling stopping etc. Surprised to read that it is heavier than the Amazon. Looks are decieving.
In the winter I will get into checking out the carbs:- balance cleanliness etc as I would imagine that there will be room for improvement here.Also see about the timing etc, but at the moment I am just driving and enjoying it as it is.
cheers,Mike
mike7 is offline   Reply With Quote