Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

wayward steering

Views : 1550

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 31st, 2006, 00:26   #1
austingipsy

Default wayward steering

Here's a weird thing, when a took my amazon in for its MOT (it past yeha !) it had nice direct steering and was a very stable car. (Although not a very mobile car if you read my other posts) anyway since i've got it back i noticed the steering gets very light and the whole car feels unsteady at anything over about 45/50. Was fine driving around country lanes but driving along the dual carriageway the other day i was nearly soiling myself! car felt very jittery.
Can't see what the MOT guy could have done other than give the wheels a good shoogle and check for play which was obviously ok and the shocks must be fine so all a bit strange.
austingipsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 08:59   #2
222s
Amazoniste

Have you checked the tyre pressures? If they were over-inflated, that could cause this sort of change in the steering / handling.

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 10:22   #3
austingipsy

Tyre pressure was 26 psi, i'm only checking with the guage on the footpump though which could be well of the mark.
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 11:18   #4
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Not sure what your pressures should be.

However, I would recommend that you, and indeed anyone, has a good pressure guage in the car to check the tyres.
Garage air guages are also notoriously inaccurate.
And tyres should be checked before journey start as warming the tyres will increase pressure thus distorting the settings you need.

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 12:58   #5
Stanleywindrush
Amazon antics

Smile HI - my two penny worth

HI Baz here,

Have a look at my thread on a garage to do 4 wheel alighnment - loads to think about there!!

MOT would have checked the ball joints - that leaves a more major reason - mine was too much toe out, and incorrect shims affecting camber, caster and king pin inclinantion.

Go for the toe in - garage can do this with lasers for FRONT WHEELS ONLY! thanks boys - read the thread and you will see how I was let down!

Good luck..

B
Stanleywindrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 15:30   #6
amazondean
amazondean

If the car was fine before it is unlikely to be wrong camber/ caster unless you didn't realise there was a problem before. I run my camazons at around 35 psi and find no difference in handling eccept lighter steering when parking.

Have you had a look at the steering shaft from the steering wheel in the engine bay were it meets the second shaft. There is a universal joint here. I had very vague steering once that got worse and worse. Found this joint hanging by one loose bolt. Could have been disasterous.
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 17:42   #7
alexgeorge

Ive also noticed this on my car, if you atempt to go over 60 it suddenly becomes really light and you feel like you have no control at all.
Ill check the camber and see if it makes a difference. One question though, if you run your tyres at 35 psi don't you lose alot of grip, mine are currently 28
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 17:53   #8
amazondean
amazondean

Makes no difference. I may be foolish in saying this, but I have never found a problem in twenty years having more pressure in the tyres than reccomended. I believe it's the armchair mechanics that tell you otherwise. Of course their will be a limit to how far you can safely go but I have never found a problem at 35 psi.
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 19:05   #9
grantbennett2

I run mine at 32 front and 30 rear as , as recomended by the tyre fitter
grantbennett2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 00:59   #10
austingipsy

Well today i bought one of those digital tyre pressure readers and my halfords footpump is a big fat liar ! 25 psi one side 40 psi on the other ! its a wonder i didn't end up in a ditch.I tried with the footpump gauge and got 26 both sides, gave it a thump on the side and the needle shot round to 42 ! It had a very slow puncture on one side when i took it for the mot, well actualy not a puncture just a bad seal on the rim, bit rusted. So i guess after sitting all day waiting for the test it must have gone soft and garage must have given it a blast with an air line before i collected it.
40 psi though thats a bit hefty.
Anyway its nice when its something simple, cheers guys.