Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Uncomfortable Volvo Seats - why?

Views : 13085

Replies : 72

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 23rd, 2021, 21:33   #41
Boatie
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by js90 View Post
I just spent 8 hours in the R-Design seats. They're... okay. Once I'm wedged perfectly in the middle it's fine, but I've never had that problem with any of the other Volvo seats - they tend to be comfortable from any position.

They're definitely designed with the slimmer driver in mind...
I'll echo your second paragraph (I only did 2hours in my R Design seat today)
Old May 23rd, 2021, 21:46   #42
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

OMG low profile tyres

Many years ago, I had a mad moment and purchased a BMW 3 series 335d coupe with ultralow profile wheels with run flat tyres. The car went like stink, but the ride quality felt like being on iron rails, with the tiniest imperfection in the road jarring right through your bones.

Sold the car a few years latter as it just became less and less enjoyable to drive on UK condition roads. I always thought it would have been a lovely car to own if I lived in the UAE with their beautiful smooth as glass roads.

The more rubber between you and the road is what its all about with an SUV and if you could get 16” wheels as an option, I’d get them! 20” wheels on an SUV is just mad.
Old May 23rd, 2021, 22:00   #43
js90
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS View Post
OMG low profile tyres

Many years ago, I had a mad moment and purchased a BMW 3 series 335d coupe with ultralow profile wheels with run flat tyres. The car went like stink, but the ride quality felt like being on iron rails, with the tiniest imperfection in the road jarring right through your bones.

Sold the car a few years latter as it just became less and less enjoyable to drive on UK condition roads. I always thought it would have been a lovely car to own if I lived in the UAE with their beautiful smooth as glass roads.

The more rubber between you and the road is what its all about with an SUV and if you could get 16” wheels as an option, I’d get them! 20” wheels on an SUV is just mad.
Funnily enough, BMW don't supply new cars with run flats any more. Wonder why...?

--Previous MY08 S40 2.0D Manual Barents Blue / MY16 XC60 D5 Manual Osmium Grey
js90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2021, 07:52   #44
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
I just spent 8 hours in the R-Design seats. They're... okay. Once I'm wedged perfectly in the middle it's fine, but I've never had that problem with any of the other Volvo seats - they tend to be comfortable from any position.

I also find the side bolsters of the R-design seats too high to get on/in the seat.
This will possible also lead to premature damage of the upholstery.
Old May 24th, 2021, 10:56   #45
Beavis
Premier Member

echo comments on here. i have a 2019 V90 model.
worst seats i've had in 20 years of volvos comprising 11 or 12 cars, including V40 (old and new); multiple S60's/V70's/C70/XC90's. This will be the last of these modern volvo's i get. the styling looks great, but dislike so many other things about it including seat comfort.
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2021, 11:51   #46
Alisdair

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
I see so many R Designs on the Volvo Selekt website and I wonder if it's as a result of buyers being intrigued by the notion of a "Sports" model but then disappointed by the relatively uncomfortable seats, not helped by the stiffer suspension and lower profile tyres.
Ha, this is the exact opposite of my experience.

2014 XC90 SE LUX < 2015 XC90 R Design.
2014 had 235/60 R18 < 2015 has 275/40 R20
2014 had full leather sofa seats < 2015 has R Design half leathers.

At 6ft 4 I find the new R design seats very comfortable - doing 5 hr Friday so will update if that changes - and it's really nice not to have to brace myself against the door when driving and going round a corner!! The older models seats had absolutely zero bolster and you slid off.

Less wallow/roll, more composed and less crashy. Even on standard shocks (not air) I'd say overall comfort and drivability has improved greatly.

Bonus on the new model is I can actually fit a passenger behind me with the seat fully back to accommodate my legs..
Alisdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2021, 13:30   #47
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:

Yes, I specifically chose the Inscription over the R-Design that they had in stock for this reason. However I always found them to be quite hard and unforgiving and actually prefer the front seats in my daughter's Qashqai over long distances. Not a dealbreaker but really shows that twice the price doesn't buy twice the car in every way.
Old Mar 5th, 2023, 20:14   #48
ady30

Default Lost thousands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polestar Pete View Post
Yeah, I got sold on the reputation of the Volvo seats being magically comfortable.

It took me a good while before I got the position of my seats in a position where I'm now comfortable. I probably have a few more tweaks to make yet.

In previous cars, I've been comfortable after just a few moments of tweaking, not sure why Volvo is different.

I recently found that tilting the seat pan so it's flatter helped quite a bit.
I bought an xc40 cost 36 grand it was a 1.5 3 cylinder R design
Spent hundreds on seat support cushions the car was crippling my hips and thighs
Ended up straight swapping for a used v60 b3 momentum it’s better but lost 10 grand on deal we’ll upset
Bring back the 360 940 760 they were perfect
ady30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2023, 21:13   #49
Sahohas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS View Post
OMG low profile tyres

I have 22" on my xc60 with air suspension and its absolutely lovely to drive. I read almost every forum posts about 22'' ride quality on SUVs. Lots of mixed feedback as expected, I was kind of dreading that my experience would be negative and end up going smaller wheels but that's not the case at all.

its perfectly fine but I know that air suspension does make a difference.
Sahohas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2023, 10:48   #50
lordofthejungle

I have a XC90 and I was really keen on Volvo seats basing it on a friends older Volvo I had driven. I have a really bad back as a result and hate the seat. Like the car otherwise. Cant afford to change so will try and find a position that works. My other car is a Lexus and the seats are heavenly. I might seriously consider a swap to Lexus RX if this seat things gets too much on my nerves.