Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

In Tank Fuel Pump Electrical Sender Repair??

Views : 1008

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 13th, 2022, 16:20   #1
Big 240

Default In Tank Fuel Pump Electrical Sender Repair??

OK so I have successfully replaced the pump on my in-tank fuel pump. Nice easy job. However it still wasn't working after reconnecting it.

I have traced it to the electric sender that is attached to the top plate, this has oxidised and has corroded (as can be seen in the pics) and so the power feed isn't getting down to the pump etc.

Now I know I can buy a replacement, but I really do like to fix things if I can, so my question is this: Can I run the power cables through the top using rubber grommets (and sealed with araldite or similar that's fuel safe) as this is all the sender is doing. Has anyone done this before??? I've seen that Volvo did this on their earlier tank senders (see pic)

Guy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20221113_152226.jpg (94.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20221113_152255.jpg (75.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20221113_152247.jpg (119.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg image107.jpg (63.2 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Big 240; Nov 13th, 2022 at 16:31.
Big 240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Big 240 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 13th, 2022, 17:13   #2
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

What does the sender do? Surely there's just a pump with motor, and two wires?
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 13th, 2022, 17:39   #3
Big 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
What does the sender do? Surely there's just a pump with motor, and two wires?
It maybe my terminology, but yes it's simply where the wires are connected on the top, underneath the wires to the level sender and the pump are soldered onto the pins that poke through.

It's obviously just a safety thing so there aren't wires passing through the top etc. However I have come up with a cunning plan.... I am going to use the third pipe conduit that is spare and has a cap over it to pass the wires through instead. Pass wires down, attach and seal up the pipe. Job done.

Pic for example.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20221113_171955.jpg (97.5 KB, 6 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Big 240 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 13th, 2022, 18:59   #4
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

It's petrol mate don't mess with it, get one out of a scrapper or get one from a motor factors, one spark regardless how careful you are and KERPOW!
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 13th, 2022, 19:12   #5
Big 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
It's petrol mate don't mess with it, get one out of a scrapper or get one from a motor factors, one spark regardless how careful you are and KERPOW!
It's all good chap. Routing the cable through the third pipe is safe. I am using some silicon tube I have left over to sleeve the wire, then pushing that through the pipe. There's zero danger of sparking. If you look at the pic of the older style unit it's a similar idea, but they are going through a metal grommet type thing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big 240 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 13th, 2022, 19:38   #6
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 240 View Post
It's all good chap. Routing the cable through the third pipe is safe. I am using some silicon tube I have left over to sleeve the wire, then pushing that through the pipe. There's zero danger of sparking. If you look at the pic of the older style unit it's a similar idea, but they are going through a metal grommet type thing.
Even though I can tell you're a master of your own destiny I still wouldn't mess about with it myself, good luck if you do and just be double sure nothing is able to touch or snag.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2022, 06:25   #7
Big 240

I will of course be purchasing a replacement pump when funds allow, but for now this fix has worked and will allow me to use the car haha.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Big 240 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2022, 06:39   #8
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 240 View Post
I will of course be purchasing a replacement pump when funds allow, but for now this fix has worked and will allow me to use the car haha.
Have you already done this and it worked? If so well done.

Post some pictures and words in case the repair is useful to someone else please.

Alan
Old Nov 14th, 2022, 09:04   #9
Juular

I did a similar job on mine, but instead of using the spare pipe hole, I drilled out the existing connector, soldered new wires in, then used hot glue to 'pot' the wires in place.

This worked perfectly until the level float arm fell off a few months later and I replaced the whole unit.

It will be safe enough. Even if it sparked inside the tank nothing whatsoever would happen, as the fuel to air mixture is far too rich to ignite.
Juular is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Juular For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2022, 11:36   #10
Big 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juular View Post
I did a similar job on mine, but instead of using the spare pipe hole, I drilled out the existing connector, soldered new wires in, then used hot glue to 'pot' the wires in place.

This worked perfectly until the level float arm fell off a few months later and I replaced the whole unit.

It will be safe enough. Even if it sparked inside the tank nothing whatsoever would happen, as the fuel to air mixture is far too rich to ignite.
Great fix chap!

My tangs were all oxidised/rotten almost flat so there wasn't anything to connect to. I do enjoy a free fix
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big 240 For This Useful Post: