Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cambelt broken - Head gasket destroyed

Views : 1228

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 20th, 2013, 20:55   #1
klirostraas

Default Cambelt broken - Head gasket destroyed

Hi,

Posting this on behalf of my computer illiterate parents;

They have a 2008 reg XC70 D5 2400cc, with around 30-40k on the clock (can't remember exactly)

My mum stopped at a set of lights and couldn't get the car going again, so it had to be towed to a garage.

They eventually got the engine to turn over, though with an unhealthy sound.

The garage have diagnosed it as a cambelt failure, leading to irrepairable damage to the head and have quoted upwards of £3000 for a fix.

Given that the engine is far below the mileage or age required for a replacement cambelt - is this down as manufacturer error? and if so would volvo make a contribution?

The car is currently in an indie garage, though I've told them they'd be better sending it to a volvo garage as they'd have a lot more experience with the engine!
klirostraas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2013, 20:58   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klirostraas View Post
Hi,

Posting this on behalf of my computer illiterate parents;

They have a 2008 reg XC70 D5 2400cc, with around 30-40k on the clock (can't remember exactly)

My mum stopped at a set of lights and couldn't get the car going again, so it had to be towed to a garage.

They eventually got the engine to turn over, though with an unhealthy sound.

The garage have diagnosed it as a cambelt failure, leading to irrepairable damage to the head and have quoted upwards of £3000 for a fix.

Given that the engine is far below the mileage or age required for a replacement cambelt - is this down as manufacturer error? and if so would volvo make a contribution?

The car is currently in an indie garage, though I've told them they'd be better sending it to a volvo garage as they'd have a lot more experience with the engine!
It is important to contact the volvo garage , there were recalls for the belt tensioner , has it been serviced correctly at the dealer ?
Old May 20th, 2013, 21:00   #3
klirostraas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
It is important to contact the volvo garage , there were recalls for the belt tensioner , has it been serviced correctly at the dealer ?
Unfortunately no, servicing would have been undertaken by indie garages.
Old May 20th, 2013, 21:09   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klirostraas View Post
Unfortunately no, servicing would have been undertaken by indie garages.
it depends on the volvo model year , what mileage the aux belt and tensioner should be changed at , the current mileage and also , you cant go by the reg number ... it could have been due at the 36000 mile service or 54000 mile service AND the recalls , have you missed them ? best speak to your local dealer who can explain what should have been done and when on your particular car . but if things have not been done you could persue your "indie " best collect some facts together first .. such as what exactly caused this , it is unlikely to be the cambelt itself .
Old May 21st, 2013, 09:53   #5
tt82
Forum Support Team

Maybe clan can correct me on this but I thought the cam belts are x amount of miles or 5/6 years, whichever comes first? 2008 model could put the cambelt due, regardless of mileage.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 11:40   #6
Tomo9945

I was pretty sure cambelts are 9 years or 108,000 miles. But I also have heard about the recall on the belt tensioners, it's a must to make sure it was done, probably why it's sometimes best to pay more to get dealer services I suppose. Anyhow, on topic, I hope you manage to get it sorted out for minimum cost
Tomo9945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 18:28   #7
klirostraas

Does anyone know what the situation is if it turns out to be caused by the recall?
Old May 21st, 2013, 18:33   #8
tt82
Forum Support Team

Hmm, from what I know Volvo should have contacted all the owners concerned to get them to have the work done. I'm pretty sure they can obtain all names and address of the models affected from the DVLA. If you parents got the recall notice, and ignored it then I think you would be hard pushed to get anything out of Volvo, although they may make a good will gesture for PR reasons.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 18:42   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo9945 View Post
I was pretty sure cambelts are 9 years or 108,000 miles. But I also have heard about the recall on the belt tensioners, it's a must to make sure it was done, probably why it's sometimes best to pay more to get dealer services I suppose. Anyhow, on topic, I hope you manage to get it sorted out for minimum cost
if it IS a 2008 volvo model year , cambelts are 10 years or 108000 miles which ever comes first ,
Old May 22nd, 2013, 22:44   #10
GrantA
Master Member

If the work involved with the belt tensioner recall was carried out then any main Volvo dealership will have a record. When I bought my Volvo privately in Southampton a year ago I contacted the Volvo dealership named on the last service receipt and they told me the vehicle was up to date and that no recalls were outstanding. About 5 months later we arrived in Inverness and I "registered" with the local main Volvo dealership to ensure that I would be informed of any future recalls. When I spoke to the Service Receptionist she put my Volvo reg number into her computer and told me that the last recall applicable to my car, which was the belt tensioner one, had been carried out and that there were no recalls outstanding.

My point is, if the belt tensioner recall had been done on the OPs parent's vehicle the record of the work having been carried out will be on the central Volvo computer and Volvo will in all probability contribute to the cost of repairs. If all the vehicle servicing had been carried out by an indie, as the OP intimated, or none done at all, then the vehicle may have "dropped off the map" in which case the owner may not have been informed of the recalls and the work involved will not have been carried out. In this case I'm sorry to say that I doubt if Volvo will contribute to the cost of repairs unless it is as a gesture of good faith.

I also hope you manage to get the work done at minimal cost, please let us know how you get on.

Last edited by GrantA; May 22nd, 2013 at 22:47.
GrantA is offline   Reply With Quote