Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo XC90 T6 2005 Electrical problems

Views : 1497

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 26th, 2013, 23:10   #1
SMH1970

Default Volvo XC90 T6 2005 Electrical problems

I have owned my T6 for 3 years, I have suffered from a few minor electrical issues over this time which I have never got to the bottom of, however I now attribute it to the dreaded water leak caused by the blocked sunroof pipes that loads of people have commented on.

So I have now fixed my leak and bailed way too much water out of the driver’s side, but I think it must have been leaking for at least the 3 years I have owned the car and it was only the heavy rains over Christmas that brought things to a head. Now I want to get the electrical issues resolved, so I am hoping if I list them here, someone may have a view on it. I am not electrically minded, so I can’t do this myself, but I do have a very good auto electrician I have used before with a Chevy blazer, but think it would help him if I went armed with some information.

The water was clearly pouring down the driver’s side, through the dashboard where I understand the CEM is housed, possibly other electrical bits, but I had so much water under the driver’s seat, it could well have affected the electronic board under the driver’s seat which I found when I had to get the carpet out, (sorry I don’t know what this is called).

Symptoms I’ve had are:
Passenger side heated seat
Four wheel drive
Inside Alarm Sensor
Sunroof
Rear Parking Sensor
rear washer

The passenger side heated seat never worked during my ownership.
The four wheel drive has never worked during my ownership, however I also had the notorious T6 gearbox issue, so I got the gearbox reconditioned and just wrote the awd off as Volvo just wanted to replace the switch at £750 or the back axle at £1500. However I now hope this is down to corrosion somewhere, but not sure what/where to check first.

Inside alarm sensor, this gave up when on holiday, I pressed the button and set the alarm with kids and dog in it, which I had done for over a year of ownership, then the alarm just went off and this functionality has never worked since. It now has an “alarm system service required” statement on the dashboard.

Sunroof, this gave up last winter, then during the summer started to work again, then stopped again in this winter, which screams corrosion to me.

rear washer just stopped one day, but the wiper still works.

Rear parking sensors suddenly stopped a few months ago, there is a warning light on the dashboard. People seem to have replaced theirs but I would like to see what the electrician can find with the water leak problem and what genuinely needs replacing.

As usual any help is appreciated, I realise it’s a longish post.
Thanks
Steve
SMH1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 11:42   #2
newbie1

Smile T6 no four wheel drive

I have had a T6 for x3 years also and I love it but have had problems like you,my four wheel drive never worked also,but it is different to the diesels drive train,as it is chain driven.I solved my problem by buying a pcc bsr code reader (reads all codes in every module) they are hard to come by as they dont make them anymore some come up on ebay, or if you know someone with a china copy Vida.Plugged it in and I had a fault code for rear diff low oil pressure,cleared code and now have a 4x4 for 2 years happy days.The diff will shut down if finds a fault so mine just needed reset,there is loads of info on this great site about this problem more so for the diesels.

My interior alarm sensor has never worked,and the alarm also I had same message on dash.Common fault with volvos are the alarm sirens have internal battery that leaks onto internal componant and fry them.Bought a second hand alarm siren from someone off net fitted it alarm now works, no message on dash, but internal sensor still not working will have to change it some time.Also if you search site a common fault with the sunroof is that your alarm siren is U/S ,because I know this sounds strange but it is linked to the wiring to do with sunroof,I have read this on the site somewhere.Also watch out for flat batterys as this is also to do with alarm siren faults as they can drain your battery.Quite easy to change just under your off side wing search site its on here how to do it.

hope this helps

Last edited by newbie1; Jan 29th, 2013 at 11:50. Reason: left something out
newbie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to newbie1 For This Useful Post:

Tags
electrical problem, water leak