Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 841631

Replies : 6336

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 3rd, 2022, 12:51   #2681
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Half truths, smoke and mirrors……………..remind you of anything?
I'm guessing you mean the other red motor car:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255802581301

... the one with the history of shill bidding ;-).
Old Nov 3rd, 2022, 12:59   #2682
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I'm guessing you mean the other red motor car:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255802581301

... the one with the history of shill bidding ;-).
No mate,the Barge, the truth had to be dragged out of him IIRC.
Old Nov 3rd, 2022, 13:07   #2683
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
No mate,the Barge, the truth had to be dragged out of him IIRC.
Ah yes! I'd forgotten about our scouse friend!

:-)

PS. Grandpa (just not his grandpa), the farmer with a fridge in the sheep trailer, other fictitious bidders... how could I forget!

Last edited by Othen; Nov 3rd, 2022 at 13:11.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 3rd, 2022, 13:55   #2684
BicycleBoy
Master Member

Quote:
Gosh, that is a good website for finding out lots of information quickly - and very well presented as well.
The MOT history quickly shows the ones which were loved, as opposed to those that only received attention at MOT time. And reveals any 'resting' periods.too...
Quote:
I'm not sure changing the suspension bushing is much of a factor - I wouldn't bother to change them on a 30+ year old motor car unless there was a problem.
If used continiously, no problem: If left unmoved for many years, rubber hardens and then perishes with use. But that's long enough for the new owner to discover next MOT time...
BicycleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BicycleBoy For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 3rd, 2022, 17:25   #2685
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
I'm in danger of getting wildly pedantic now...but...

I was referring to B280s in 960s - as far as I'm aware, that was never a UK market option. The explanation I've heard is that it was to do with approvals and certification - the same reason that some markets (but not the UK) got the B20 carried over into the first year of 240 production (to bring us briefly back on-topic!). I've heard of some very early US-spec 960s having the V6, and Wikipedia mentions "Some markets, such as Australia and Japan, saw 1991 960s equipped with the same B280E/F V6 engine (145 PS or 107 kW at 5,100 rpm) that had powered the 1990 760", but I've never seen one here. I've seen 960s with a Lambda Sond badge, but they always had a whiteblock (or redblock!) under the bonnet. Of course I'm always willing to be proven wrong, and would be genuinely interested to see a UK-spec 960 with a PRV under the bonnet.

I would also suggest that a UK-market B280F is vanishingly rare in a 760 (although I entirely agree that they exist). As far as I'm aware it was only launched in 1990, and the standard spec for that year was still a B280E. You had to specifically choose a "Catalyser" (badged) version...and almost no-one did (presumably because of the power issue you mention)!

Curiously, you seem to see way more catted 1990 turbos than not. A friend has a (non-cat) 1990 760 Turbo (with a B230GT), but most of them do seem to have cats. I think the redblock non-cat option had vanished by 1991 (and the transition to the 960). I'm also not conscious that I've ever seen a 1990 740 Turbo with a GT - they all seem to be FTs.

Oh...and it requires a little bit of copy/paste legwork, but you can split a quote up by duplicating the "quote" (in square brackets) tags. Each section needs to start with "quote=" and end with "/quote" (again, both in square brackets).

cheers

James
Interestingly James my 1990 760 turbo non cat has B230FT on the cam cover yet FRF told me it was a B230GT when ordering parts from them for it.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 3rd, 2022, 23:51   #2686
BicycleBoy
Master Member

Appears I might have.been wrong about the economics of 240 restoration:
This crowd appear to have one about to hit the market after an overhaul:
https://bridgeclassiccars.co.uk/cate...7-volvo-240gl/
I suppose they needed something for the apprentices to practice on.

Interesting to see what stratospheric sum they'll be asking to try and recoup their investment.
BicycleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BicycleBoy For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 4th, 2022, 00:05   #2687
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicycleBoy View Post
Appears I might have.been wrong about the economics of 240 restoration:
This crowd appear to have one about to hit the market after an overhaul:
https://bridgeclassiccars.co.uk/cate...7-volvo-240gl/
I suppose they needed something for the apprentices to practice on.

Interesting to see what stratospheric sum they'll be asking to try and recoup their investment.
Hmmmmmm, interesting! Looking at their website, it seems as if they do it for customers who are paying for the resto work. Unless i've missed something, that appears to be a cosmetic restoration only, no rebuilds/repairs to the running gear. Probably about £4-5k worth of work at a rough guesstimate, maybe more there but someone now has a 36 year old 240 that looks brand new.
Not sure about painting the mudflaps though, i thought they were meant to be a natural black finish.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 4th, 2022, 05:52   #2688
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Absolutely.

That red saloon breaking ranks is interesting, there are so many overpriced 240 that remain on sale for months or years. It will be interesting to see what this one is really worth at auction (I do so hope this seller doesn’t resort to silly shill bidding).

Alan

PS. Re: the shill bidding thing. The seller is clearly a motor trader with several other cars for sale. I’m already a bit suspicious in that the auction attracted 13 bids from 8 different bidders in the first couple of hours of the auction (last eve). Perhaps it is a good motor car that has attracted a number of genuine bidders, in which case I’m just too cynical.
Quote:
Gosh, that is a good website for finding out lots of information quickly - and very well presented as well.

I'm not sure changing the suspension bushing is much of a factor - I wouldn't bother to change them on a 30+ year old motor car unless there was a problem.

The big gaps in use are quite commonplace, as we have discussed many times previously, all these cars would have had a nadir in value when they were about 20 years old at which point they would have only been worth a few hundred pounds. It is hardly surprising that quite a few got parked up in a barn/garage/under a tree/in a field for a decade or more. That is never a good thing though :-).

The red motor car resting for 15 years makes me all the more suspicious of the motor trader selling it. Not only does he/she not mention that gap in the provenance, but he/she implies it is a one owner motor car from new - although that owner may well have passed away or become incapacitated in about 2007.

Alan
Activity has slowed on the red car, but I still suspect a bit of shill bidding. It is at £2,955 with 10 different bidders. I'd probably say that is about what it is worth in a fair market; any serious buyer (someone like us) is going to spot the 15 year gap in its provenance and realise it isn't exactly as depicted.

It reminds me a bit of the Barge when I first bought it: low mileage and substantially okay, but with a gap in provenance and in need of a fair bit of recommissioning. The Barge was probably a bit better in that its early life was well documented and the gap in history was much shorter, it was a higher specification motor car (2.3 GLE) and it had new tyres with refurbished wheels. The Barge still cost me a little over £400 in parts to get well sorted, the red car might well be a bit more. The Barge's biggest advantage was that it was far closer to becoming an historic vehicle (6 years less tax, 6 less MoTs).

:-)

Last edited by Othen; Nov 4th, 2022 at 06:18. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 4th, 2022, 06:36   #2689
360beast
Go redblock or go home

As if anyone who was genuinely interested in that red 240 will be interested now that it has "sold" twice and now is listed at the price he actually wants which is far too high.
Old Nov 4th, 2022, 06:39   #2690
360beast
Go redblock or go home

A bit off topic but looks at this Skoda

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185458646...mis&media=COPY

I had one and it was the worst car I ever owned, suspension issues galore, vacuum leaks causing limp mode, rusty sills and arches, poor quality interior, chewed through front tyres even after two wheel alignments at different places and a third done by myself to ensure it was done properly.

Who on earth would pay 7k for a 15 year old diesel hatchback that has no redeemable qualities in my mind other than about 50mpg. They're so useless in terms of practicality my mate had one and had to sell it when his daughter was born because he couldn't get a single pushchair in the boot!

Dealers must think we are mugs to pay their stupid prices.